I'm honestly coming round to the idea of hero bans

I’ve been playing a lot of league lately and have really liked banning champions that I personally find unfun to play against. I’d 100% ban doomfist every game if I could

17 Likes

There is your problem you have been playing league of legends.

37 Likes

The frequent updates are nice

12 Likes

Yeah that is nice at least.

2 Likes

Bans feel like a bandaid solution for bad balance. So I used to be against it but you know maybe it’d help actually.

1 Like

Yes but the difference between League and Overwatch is that there are like 150 champions in League and like 32 in OW.

Not to mention banning 2 supports on each team could potentially leave like 3 supports left for people to play. I forgot how many supports are in the game but it’s very few.

14 Likes

Not necessarily. Banning hard counters means you can actually play the hero you want. But the problem with current OW is the hero pool is just too small. Like Doomfist makes 6/7 supports a nightmare to play so every Doomfist main would ban Brig and give us no option to defend ourselves against him.

Paladins has hero bans because their game is balanced around no hard counters. Maybe they’ll take OW2 in this direction.

1 Like

I forbid you to forbid me from entering The Forbidden Zone!

I’d 100% ban hog or mccree. Tired of seeing them every game even when I’m not playing Doomfist.

4 Likes

Brigs wouldnt be able to play the game in gm lol

8 Likes

If there are no hard counters, then what is the point of hero bans? Is it purely for emotional bias?

For the most part yeah. The game still has a meta and some champs that are overtuned so people usually prioritise OP over feelings though. Some champions will have soft counters too.

It felt awful in overwatch, and that feeling wont go away.

Bans in paladins is fine. They get banned at the start, you pick around it, theres dozens of other heroes to pick.
Dramatically different in a game like overwatch where a major theme is SWAPPING to counter.

3 Likes

Which needs to be something addressed in OW2. Hero swapping should be to switch up game plans, synergies etc. You shouldn’t have to stop playing a hero you’re enjoying because the enemy decides to shut down your fun.

1 Like

But you should be willing to switch….which I think even under the scenario you present a lot of people would still struggle to do

2 Likes

Some heroes will always have advantages over other heroes. Unless you expect such a major overhaul of the game to make it boring vanilla abilities, which will kill it for a good chunk of people, that wont change.

Echo being able to fly will always give her mobility over heroes like zen. Beam heroes will always work much better vs genji and sigma. Unless you completely take that away that wont change.

Willing to switch =/= glad to switch

Having the ability to fly isn’t an issue. The problem with Echo/Pharah is that their potential damage output is so high whilt having said mobility. Pharah/Echo force you to play hitscan, and hitscan force the devs to balance Pharah/Echo around being threatening without hitscan. This is something we’ve dealt with for 5 years but it doesn’t have to be this way.

2 Likes

I sort of agree with this. I don’t enjoy getting shut down by one or two opponent counters, but I feel like being adaptable is what makes a successful (or more courteous) OW player, or at least having more than one single hero to fall back on in every situation.

Map’s have strong meta’s onto themselves. Take Gibraltar. Ana would be auto-banned every time so she can’t enable dive. Then you can ban a dive tank, and ban a dps( but even Tracer has numerous substitutions, so dps bans don’t matter much).

2CP/Koth would see Sym banned every time if people figured out how to play her properly. She doesn’t have a substitution with her unique utility.

Hero bans would become frustrating, unless we had an insane hero pool like league. But the devs expressed a strong desire to have a limit to the hero pool. Which might be around 45-50 as OW2 will most likely bump the hero pool to at least 40 heroes on release.

I think it would be better to just have heroes with dramatic strengths and weaknesses that compete with each other in their category. Balance doesn’t have to be perfect; there can be an objectively superior pick that’s only marginally better; however, the playstyles of each hero would be unique enough that the player’s own tastes are the deciding factor.

In a nutshell, every hero should be capable of reaching top 500 even if everyone knows how to counter them. That would be more fun than relying on hero bans to yeet counters/OP heroes that you have issues with.

5 Likes

Doomfist, Junkrat, Hanzo and Widow would be banned in almost every game.

2 Likes