I'm honestly coming round to the idea of hero bans

All the more reason to give her a rework :heart_eyes: sis would have a 0% pr

1 Like

Not if i ban the hero you wanted to play.

4 Likes

This failed horribly and really isn’t worth pursuing either

1 Like

My personal gripe with hero bans in Overwatch has always been the number of heroes (and then the number of heroes in each role).

I think bans would work better for DPS than they would support and tanks because those two roles have less heroes, but honestly I didn’t like the comp bans we tried way back when.

Counter-picks and teamwork is too important in Overwatch.

50 Likes

Simple solution: Only allow 1 support and tank to be banned, but make votes towards DPS weighted heavily. Or, even better, make hero bans based off of pick rate each period. Ban 1 tank, 1 support and the top 3 DPS

This is one of my biggest concerns of the game. There are characters which you can only counterpick and not counterplay.

For an experimental at least i would like to see a DPS hero ban system to see which heroes would be the most and least picked to be banned from the matches

So how would you fix that without gutting either hero just so you can theoretically fit it into your hero bans most people dont want.

1 Like

The week where most of the hitscans were banned was the most fun week I’ve ever had in Overwatch.

4 Likes

Does that mean DPS hero bans are a possibility? A lot of DPS can be super annoying to fight, so it would be nice not to have to worry about them for a match.

But at the end of the day 6 heroes are going to be banned per team, if both teams pick 6 different heroes then that’s 12 heroes who cannot be played which is a lot for a game that only has 32 heroes.

Or they could just wait until the hero roster is more even. Currently we’re at:

DPS: 17
Tank: 8
Support: 7

If they moved Sym to supp and Doom + Mei to tank, we’re looking at 14/10/8. Add in the new OW2 heroes and things will be a lot more even

3 Likes

That’d be cool too, but in the meantime, if they’re against role movements (which I think they are for OW1 at least), I hope DPS hero bans would not be completely off the table. I mean you said yourself you dislike doom, imagine if you didn’t have to worry about him for an entire game. Even if it’s just a single hero ban.

1 Like

Ever again*

I will make sure he is banned every single game :rofl:

2 Likes

Personally I’d probably be mean and pick one of the popular DPS xD
I just wonder how the enemy team would react if I banned someone like soldier or cassidy. Who would they play :thinking: It’d be a breeze of fresh air for sure.

1 Like

I’m talking about a blanket ban per some period, whether it be 1, 2, 3 or 4 weeks based on data of the previous period. In this case if it were 2 weeks, we’d play 2 weeks of no bans, then from there you’d start banning the heroes most picked by the entirety of the community playing.

It’d also be a good way to see who keeps getting repeat picks if the same 6 DPS are chosen in a rotation each period

We don’t expressly need to ban any tanks, but considering that one hero outshines the support cast and a small portion of DPS overshadow the entirety of the roster, we kinda need something to bring life back to the game. It’s simply not enjoyable seeing ana for the 90th time in a row, while soldier/hanzo are picked every game on both sides without fail.

That’s already the case now…I simply switch and play something that does well against something like doom that I also enjoy playing….

Good idea, but overwatch needs more heroes (considering 6 heroes get banned at the minimum)

choosing between 5 supports isn’t exactly fun

Fair enough for doom I guess. But there’s a few DPS heroes who force me to play heroes I don’t like playing, and I’m sure that’s the same for many others. Not everyone enjoys the entire DPS role, after all.

Also a lot of DPS don’t have hard counters.

3 Likes

that’s so freaking weird because for the last few days I was thinking about this lol.

It’s not the hero count that matters, it’s having similar or overlapping archetypes to fall back on should a given hero be banned out – that’s the primary issue with the concept as it applies to Overwatch.

As it is now, there are only really three heroes in the game where a hero ban can be applied without completely removing that archetype from the game: mid-/long-range hitscan (Cass, Ashe, Widow). Banning out one of the trio still has some overlap with the next, so if that role is needed, players still have an option there. Compare that to virtually any hero in the tank or support role, or the non-hitscan half of the DPS roster. Any of those heroes are banned out and that entire archetype is removed from the game.

Even when you set aside some of the other problems that come with it, like a lot of the community’s perception when it comes to the concept of counterpicks, or the eventual tactical use of bans when there isn’t a clear out-of-band hero, etc.; forcing players out of an entire playstyle is the most aggressively anti-fun and anti-player thing you can possibly do. And if you think such a thing will ultimately be good for the game, think about the times you felt “forced” to play a given hero for one reason or another (counterpicking, a strong meta comp, or back when we had global hero bans) – the end result is a lot of people will just stop playing until they can play what they want again.

1 Like