+3 -3 MMR under the hood discussion

I have noticed it matches dps mains against dps mains. Like a gengi main against a gengi main with similiar stat avgs. This defeats the whole spirit of competitive if some one is smurfing. And let me garentee you everyone is smurfing to play the game how it is ment to be played with friends as a team. Sad sad potty curser

This is the type of garbage that makes games unfair. They have tried literally everything except matching the dps on both sides by weapon accuracy. The system will always suck until they realize in a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER regardless of whether it’s objective based or not you have to consider how accurate the dps players are. They determine the fights. You can’t out tank a dps player of equal skill because “tanking” is just prolonging you dying. It’s not moving forward towards a win. You also can not out heal a good dps player because of same reasoning. Your DPS has to perform and if they other team WAY outshines your dps on accuracy then you will LOSE EVERY. TIME. The only counterpoint to this is when you have such a good dps player tanking that they just take over and start wrecking people. Still the game at that point was determined by the dps not tanking or healing. EVERYTHING IN THE GAME REVOLVES AROUND DPS AND ACCURACY EXCEPT MATCHMAKING. Until this is addressed the matches will always feel unbalanced one way or the other. I’ve said this since beta. The problem is the fans. They just parrot over and over " you are where you belong" etc…

There’s only so good you can be at a video game. The top players have put so much time into the game that one mistake will upset the whole match if not compensated by another amazing play. This is not the case in most ranks but you see those pro matches always make the game looked balanced because their DPS players are similar in accuracy and skill. This is just a byproduct of spending so much time on the game but it is what makes the games so good. Then the tanks and healers can make moves to encourage a victory but it’s ALWAYS the dps players being matched close in accuracy that allow the other roles room to operate.

Balancing by accuracy loool

GM’s accuracy on average might be same or even lower than same of a diamond player, cause there are no sheep to freely shoot at and gain accuracy.

Does it make a diamond player a similar to gm? Not at all. In gm he will have very low accuracy.

That’s an awful metric. I’ve had games where I had 50% accuracy as Hanzo and I still lost, I’ve had games where I had 19% accuracy as Hanzo and pulled off a win.

Actually, tanks almost entirely determine engagements except for flanking. There’s a reason the first targets in a team fight are generally the main tank and main healer.

The meta is, and has been for over a year, determined nearly entirely by out-sustaining incoming damage (originally through 3/3 as Goats, now as double-barrier). Furthermore, the meta has in almost the entire history of the game been determined by what tanks are best at the time.

Finally, how do you compare accuracy across heroes? Hanzo and Soldier are going to have drastically different expected accuracy values. How do Mei, Doomfist and Sombra fit into these calculations?

Matchmaking by accuracy is completely unrelated to the nature of Overwatch, and would be an awful idea.

There are lots of misunderstandings that have been clarified, but there are still massive holes in how MMR is calculated. Recently it was slipped that there are legacy values. Then take this patent into account:

“[0016] In another example, if a player has been performing poorly (e.g., getting killed at a rate higher than the player’s historical rate), the scoring engine may dynamically adjust one or more coefficients to match the player in a game that will improve the player’s performance. For example, the player may be matched with easier opponents, matched with better teammates, and/or placed in a game that is more tailored to the player’s preferences (e.g., players that play in games more closely aligned with their preferences tend to perform better).”

From: `https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160005270A1/en

No words are really minced there. We need this quote to be unequivocally rejected that nothing of this sort occurs in Overwatch.

Or that the abstract for this patent describes matchmaker specifically placing people with unique skins in games with people without them, to encourage purchase of those skins.