+3 -3 MMR under the hood discussion

Okay, forgetting about SR (which doesn’t matter).

If a player is in the middle somewhere, in a low population area, sometimes he will be matched with higher players, and sometimes he will be matched with lower players. He will be either the “carry” or the “potato” or “average” for any particular match. It will average out though, so there won’t be any bias against any particular player.

The only exception will be the extreme ends of the scale. That doesn’t apply to most of us. Low bronze players will usually be the potato. GM players will usually be the carry.

The system doesn’t want to push you anywhere. It wants to put you in matches that it believes to be fair. If you do better than it expects (win), it will raise your MMR so that you get higher MMR matches in the future. if you do worse than it expects (lose), it will lower your MMR so that you get lower MMR matches in the future.

1 Like

I’ve seen that. Personally I just don’t think the system works. It does it’s best to create balance and compensate for those skill gaps in games. But is that really the best solution?

For instance I have an account that can’t break 2k. Literally can’t win more than 1 game in a row. No matter how hard I try how well I play, the account in question is hard stuck, won’t drop won’t climb it can do nothing!

I have two other accounts. One was at around 2.6, can’t lose! Win most every game last I checked in on it I had a 70% something win rate.

Another account that plays with friends. Regularly play against big time streamers the occasional top 500. But again, pretty balanced, win some lose some, don’t need to be carried or anything. I do just as well as anyone else on the games.

But there is that anomaly 2k account that started this whole quest to figure out how In the hell I have one account that can’t win a game.

I get the system isn’t completely off. But I do absolutely think something with how it all works can and does cause weird issues with very specific accounts.

I’m just curious as to how it happens and what exactly is happening behind the scenes because it’s just strange. It has to have something to do with MMR I’m some way somehow creating matches where I have to pull 100 elims to even hope for a win.

But yeah, the account is question had me extremely confused. But yeah, I can lose games all night on it and barely drop SR. But at the same time, it’s nearly impossible to win consistently. So something is definitely off with this one lol so I see what you mean on the corrections to gains/losses. I just don’t feel they are really doing enough especially on the rare account that seems to be absolutely broken beyond repair.

Like I’m not complaining cause it’s my low account that I barely play on. But it definitely leads me to look at the system and be all like hmmm, that is weird.

1 Like

How many games did you play on these accounts in the last month or two?

What is the rank on this account? How many games do you play on it in the last month or two?

I play a lot dude. I have seriously like 5 or 6 PC account. The higher rated accounts I play more than anything. Few 100 games a season easy. The low ranked one I’ll just jump on during weekends and what not for a few hours here and there.

So I know that has a little to do with it. Just not as many games. It just seems like a lost cause when I jump on it though. I main tank so it can be really rough to play with lower ranked players that don’t really get how to play with the tanks rather than play TDM all match.

If you want me to continue, you’ll have to answer the questions I asked.

I literally don’t know off hand man. I have too many. The only ones I can remember for sure is the low account and the one I played on last night that’s 2.6. and games unless I’m at my PC I can only estimate but it’s for sure a few 100 for the main accounts I play

Few 100 combined so probably 100 games on each in the last two months give or take.

The 2k account is low playtime. Maybe 40? If that honestly.

It can take about 150 games (in a particular role/account) to get your MMR / SR accurate. https://www.reddit.com/r/OverwatchUniversity/comments/aatezy/why_match_quality_is_frequently_poor/

This can also be an issue. Your play style has to change depending on rank, especially for tanks. I’d give you advice, but I don’t know how to tank in low ranks either. I’d guess you play like a fat dps (use cover, don’t rely on healing or other support, work on picks), but that is just a guess.

Damn, 150 seems kinda high. But I guess that makes sense. And yeah dude, tanking In low rank games is not easy!

Next time I jusm on that account I’m gonna try zarya. I have a feeling it’ll be much much much easier than trying to main tank at that level. 100% charge like all the time lol

Think of it this way. If you have a 60% win rate you belong in a higher rank. After 100 games that’s 60 wins and 40 losses. 20x24 = +480 SR.

It takes awhile to climb.

1 Like

To be fair that’s only exact in Diamond+, PBSR is generally going to speed up the climb if you’re actually performing well.

99% of the time if im trying i feel like im always in the +3 bracket -_-

All I understand from this thread is that if they remove sr and just show mmr, it’d fix every problem lol

Edit: well haters gonna hate but at least no more smurf, elo hell stuff…

I think the reason they created role queue was to try and balance the MMR between matches.

So before, you could have 2 players with similar mmr on opposite teams, but what if one is a healer and the other a dps? Its still not really balanced that way.

So now, they split queues and try to match mmr per role, but they also removed the option to see who is grouped (in anticipation of higher wait times) so they are now putting groups against solo queuers.

Its even more unbalanced now because even if MMR is identical to each role in a game and you statistically have a true 50% chance to win, its not taking into account that there is a highly coordinated group who is communicating and changing counters as needed VS a team of solo queuers, maybe 1 or 2 on the mic, not even in voice chat.

The solo queing team is a huge disadvantage now becasue there is no coordination, no communication, and on top of that you are locked into your role so you are stuck with your small pool of heroes.

The worst ones are the supports. They pretty much can only sit back and take the loss if the dps or tanks arent countering as needed.

Well, standard deviation its called, no?

PS In the end what matters is that you win as more as possible lol.

My hat off to you dude! You made an assumption (that could be considered fair when not knowing the exact relationship between SR and MMR) and created a thread. A few posters that had some knowledge on the matter contributed with info and corrections.

And you actually listened and took your time to understand for yourself!

Imagine if Cutbeth had done that 2 years ago - would’ve saved so much virtual forum paper :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have noticed it matches dps mains against dps mains. Like a gengi main against a gengi main with similiar stat avgs. This defeats the whole spirit of competitive if some one is smurfing. And let me garentee you everyone is smurfing to play the game how it is ment to be played with friends as a team. Sad sad potty curser

This is the type of garbage that makes games unfair. They have tried literally everything except matching the dps on both sides by weapon accuracy. The system will always suck until they realize in a FIRST PERSON SHOOTER regardless of whether it’s objective based or not you have to consider how accurate the dps players are. They determine the fights. You can’t out tank a dps player of equal skill because “tanking” is just prolonging you dying. It’s not moving forward towards a win. You also can not out heal a good dps player because of same reasoning. Your DPS has to perform and if they other team WAY outshines your dps on accuracy then you will LOSE EVERY. TIME. The only counterpoint to this is when you have such a good dps player tanking that they just take over and start wrecking people. Still the game at that point was determined by the dps not tanking or healing. EVERYTHING IN THE GAME REVOLVES AROUND DPS AND ACCURACY EXCEPT MATCHMAKING. Until this is addressed the matches will always feel unbalanced one way or the other. I’ve said this since beta. The problem is the fans. They just parrot over and over " you are where you belong" etc…

There’s only so good you can be at a video game. The top players have put so much time into the game that one mistake will upset the whole match if not compensated by another amazing play. This is not the case in most ranks but you see those pro matches always make the game looked balanced because their DPS players are similar in accuracy and skill. This is just a byproduct of spending so much time on the game but it is what makes the games so good. Then the tanks and healers can make moves to encourage a victory but it’s ALWAYS the dps players being matched close in accuracy that allow the other roles room to operate.

Balancing by accuracy loool

GM’s accuracy on average might be same or even lower than same of a diamond player, cause there are no sheep to freely shoot at and gain accuracy.

Does it make a diamond player a similar to gm? Not at all. In gm he will have very low accuracy.

That’s an awful metric. I’ve had games where I had 50% accuracy as Hanzo and I still lost, I’ve had games where I had 19% accuracy as Hanzo and pulled off a win.

Actually, tanks almost entirely determine engagements except for flanking. There’s a reason the first targets in a team fight are generally the main tank and main healer.

The meta is, and has been for over a year, determined nearly entirely by out-sustaining incoming damage (originally through 3/3 as Goats, now as double-barrier). Furthermore, the meta has in almost the entire history of the game been determined by what tanks are best at the time.

Finally, how do you compare accuracy across heroes? Hanzo and Soldier are going to have drastically different expected accuracy values. How do Mei, Doomfist and Sombra fit into these calculations?

Matchmaking by accuracy is completely unrelated to the nature of Overwatch, and would be an awful idea.

There are lots of misunderstandings that have been clarified, but there are still massive holes in how MMR is calculated. Recently it was slipped that there are legacy values. Then take this patent into account:

“[0016] In another example, if a player has been performing poorly (e.g., getting killed at a rate higher than the player’s historical rate), the scoring engine may dynamically adjust one or more coefficients to match the player in a game that will improve the player’s performance. For example, the player may be matched with easier opponents, matched with better teammates, and/or placed in a game that is more tailored to the player’s preferences (e.g., players that play in games more closely aligned with their preferences tend to perform better).”

From: `https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160005270A1/en

No words are really minced there. We need this quote to be unequivocally rejected that nothing of this sort occurs in Overwatch.

Or that the abstract for this patent describes matchmaker specifically placing people with unique skins in games with people without them, to encourage purchase of those skins.