2 healer role queue must go. Your thoughts?

I’ve been playing a ton of open role queue this season and found it far more enjoyable. I haven’t played since the mythic Genji battle pass season, where I did mostly role queue. Going back to role queue for some quests made me realize where a lot of these complaints are coming from. Here’s some of my thoughts:

1. Role queue matches are much more lop sided than open. You would think picking 1-2-2 matters, but not as much as you think, especially in bronze. I’ve seen all sorts of comps win.

2. You see some hero you hate like Sombra? Great go to tank. Windowmaker constantly sniping you? Switch to Sombra. Point is your not locked into (as much) misery, which is way more fun.

3. A big benefit of getting rid of the 2 healer queue is shorter queue times since healer is almost always needed and damage is almost always is excess. A 1-3-1 role queue would go much faster and mirror other Blizz games like WoW and HotS.

4. 2 healers is kind of boring, at least in bronze. Things take forever to die, mistakes don’t get punished as much, so get more of a slow slog to victory if aforementioned stomp isn’t happening. You would also see better healer play as less people would feel compelled to play it to get shorter queues. Lots of bad healers in role queue that could play their best role, damage. Ideally Blizz may even want to go 1-4-1 like they talked about for WoW in the past. Who knows?

5. Healers could be buffed like tanks in role queue if 1-3-1 was embraced. Maybe this would allow certain heroes that are hard to use in low tier get more survival or utility.

What do you guys think? Do you want to see a different type of role queue? Is what we have now the best version?

1 Like

1-3-1 could definitely be an interesting experiment to try!

:smirk_cat: :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback

So how much money are you going to pay people to play a solo healer against 3 dps and a tank?

Also how big of a set of 6 or 7 buffs are you gonna give that healer to function in such a situation in a way that wont be completely miserable. Raid boss Ana does sound appealing though

8 Likes

OQ WAS overwatch, rq basically made it what is it today, which is kind of just a horrible version of overwatch.

Although to be fair, they just couldn’t figure out how to fix goats. For some reason.

3 Likes

No. My expirience is: 0 healers - team dies. Also, I am fed up by solo healing, when paired with Zen or DPS Moira. I would HATE support role if solo heal.

2 Likes

That makes sense, I remember a similar thread a couple months ago (probably)

How do you make a support like Ana strong but not too strong?
Brig can already do some mean stuff. How do you make her not just a second tank with solo buffs?
Think people hate Mercy now?

That’s just a few examples. And any answer you give requires more work than they want to put out at this time lol (full blown reworks, which there’s already a line for)

So, the short answer is “no”

My thoughts? They could be perfectly summed up with that old “bugs bunny saying no” meme.

You also mentioned how anything could work and stuff taking forever to die. Yeah, in bronze, I imagine that would be the case. People likely lack the mechanical skill, game knowledge, or forethought to properly utilize even the most basic parts of their kit on a consistent basis.

Healing isn’t too high, nearly every hero in the game can kill through the healing of any 1 support, even before the addition of the dps passive, with the only exceptions being Moira, brig, and maybe extremely low charge Zarya. The fact that bronze players probably struggle to even hit a rein shield more often than they miss it, let alone standard sized heroes, so they can actually get an elimination, doesnt mean healing is too high.

To quote an old Blizzard employee, “Frankly, that’s a skill issue.”.

1 Like

This game is made in way that guarantees a pick if people just press ability buttons. It’s too easy to focus down one player in Overwatch. (that would be team’s healer)
With two healers on a team committing to a pick is more questionable, more risky. But if all you need to do to win is kill one Moira or something, then it’s clear what needs to be done. Doing anything else is throwing.

1 Like

do not come here crying when ur solo support wount pick what you want

1 Like

I think you hate healers . In open games that i play i see one dps more often than one support

1 Like

One support is usually fine in OQ, especially with tank nerf and DPS passive. It also is more in line with most other trinity games.

1 Like

And in OQ they will not use 1, just like they don’t with tanks.

Actually, let it happen. Another thing to absolutely wreck OQ.

1 Like

I expect solo support would be miserable, especially on things like zen and ana. Much like tank, they would need gigabuffs to be able to play the game, and even then it doesn’t sound fun to be chased by 2-3 people nonstop and get basically no peel. And also like with tank, none of the people playing against gigabuffed solo support would enjoy fighting into that.

So why not? It can’t hurt. If I’m wrong, things get better. If I’m right, it’s a great showcase that solo role lock is a fundamentally bad design for the game. Win-win, let’s do it.

1 Like

1-3-1 Would just become a game of hunt the support. Its to easy to just have one of your 3 DPS go Sombra and eliminate the solo support each time. Because once the one support is dead that team now has no healing unless the tank is a heal sustain tank. So your pushing Hog and Mauga back into the meta again too…

1 Like

Yea, I normaly see 3-0-2 or 2-0-3. Rarely you see a 2-1-2.

1 Like

Nano simultaneously affects the entire team including herself. Sleep has 2 charges and spreads if the slept target dies within 2s of waking up. Nade creates an expanding damage AOE. And God forbid a raid boss^2 Bap.

1 Like

I’ll take one support if you add back a second tank and hard nerf all flankers (remove a charge of blink completely from tracer level of nerf)

1 Like

Fixing goats would have required them to actually nerf the support role, at the time they needed to move Brig to the tank role and remove all of her healing in doing so.

They just wouldn’t accept reality, much like the OW community in general especially when it comes to the support role.

Edit: RQ and 5v5 still are bad ‘solutions’ to the game’s terrible balance problems all of which come from badly designed hero kits, again mainly in the support role. 122 this, 222 that, 131, this that. It’s all nonsense if you just remove invulns, rez, nade, and pull. And just put Brig onto the tank role. Problem solved. The majority doesn’t experience queue issues and hero select issues(ie no healer or tank on the team) like anyone here claims.

1 Like

I think you’re exaggerating a bit but bear in mind low skill players play the game too and are just as important to Blizzard’s bottom line. If they get bored and leave to play something else because nothing dies, that lowers the revenue potential of the game. The skill issue is irrelevant here it’s about feel and fun. Since most players (I play mostly tank and healer, check my profile) play dps and complain about queue times, it seems like a natural change to me.