2 Characters that dont make sense

Disclaimer: im talking about the lore, not the gameplay

To start, Soldier 76

OK so from what i can gather, was originally second in command to Reyes during the omnic crisis, became the strike commander afterwards, and Reyes moved to captain of the covert ops unit Blackwatch. Ana now taking the second in command as captain.
But now lets get to the present. Overwatch’s headquarters blow up and both Reyes and Jack are presumed dead. both are actually alive and now Soldier is hunting down those who took the organization down.

Who would, or even could, that be?
The civilians blew up the base of an organization meant to ensure world peace? Yeah no.
Talon? could an undercover agent blow up the base much like what happened before Retribution started? Thats actually possible.

now what makes even less sense is how he doesn’t even want to bring Overwatch back and sees no point in doing such. So like, what are you hunting people down for? Closure? Even then, still, for what? you dont care about it anymore.
And going deeper, how do you go from peacekeeper to anti-hero? Like, you used to save the world from omnic tyranny and then you go to hunting down those who brought the organization down. If anything, you’d think he would want to bring it back as much as Winston would.
I just see no point to his existence in the lore or the story as a whole. he contributes nothing to whatever bigger picture blizz has yet to introduce after 3 years.
Unless you want to count Doomfist trying to start a war… but where has that been going?

Now we can move on to Reyes/Reaper
and ooooh boy do i hate him more than Soldier.

So much like before, Reaper was strike commander during the omnic crisis, shifted to Blackwatch, yatta yatta yatta.
In one of the comics prior to the start of Retribution, aptly called, Retribution, the swiss overwatch base explodes.
Gerard almost dies and Reyes wants to capture and interrogate Antonio
he does this presumably behind Morrison’s back.
which leads to these two panels
https://files.catbox.moe/ajw0pe.png

Man that didnt age well did it?

“Overwatch having limits to how far it will protect the world”
lol what a joke.

Following overwatch’s fall, Reaper suddenly turned to the dark side and joined Talon.
T A L O N
This is the same guy who just tried to capture and interrogate someone from Talon, only to end up killing them, and to make the world a better place, even if it meant breaking the rules to do it, thus the formation of Blackwatch in the first place.

All of that? yeah no just throw it away. he’s a bad guy now lol.

Does this make ANY sense? Like seriously? how do you do a 180 this hard and this bad? its just lazy and bad storytelling. especially because we have no real transition as to how or why this happened. it just does.

Both of them were heroes and the second an organization which stood for peace on earth gets disbanded and shut down, they both drop the good guy act and just become evil. Literally going against everything they fought to protect.

What. The. Hell.

I think the problem is we haven’t any story behind their fall, that’s why their actions look stupid.
I think 2 characters that don’t make sense are hamster (that learned advanced mechanics, aw yeah, yeah) and D.va (5 kids are protecting the whole town? (and meka is government organisation) now that’s bullsh*t!)

4 Likes

For 76, it makes sense he would start with tracking down reaper and talon considering Reyes started a rebellion and was preparing, if not actively enabling, a hostile takeover. It makes complete sense he’d work his way through anyone that has contact with Reaper.

As for reaper, it’s entirely possible that the experiments Moira performed on him to make Gabriel more Reapery had significant mental trauma and turmoil/side effects that aren’t really explored as of yet.

The release of any significant lore or story for Overwatch moves slower than a snail.
More News At 11

2 Likes

so this would imply that reaper is also one of the very people who brought overwatch down.
yet at the same time, moira points out that it was convenient for soldier to look past reaper’s actions

ok yeah, this is also true. Hammond has no place in lore or in the game for that matter, and D.va feels unprofessional as a whole.

Well, of course. What military or government does everything legally to do what needs done? My guess is 0.

One could assume that the lore is written/published by a hybrid of George R.R. Martin and a sloth.

2 Likes

there’s also how reaper said ana always chose soldier’s side in the Old Soldiers comic. How he was left to suffer, and how Soldier was initially looking for reaper in the first place.
Theres so much critical information, its a shame it might not even be revealed since the writers like to leave things open ended on purpose

Reaper is a mole dude. Him and Sombra are working together to take talon down from the inside, see masquerade and infiltration.

Also imho Soldier is kind of a fall from grace type thing. He’s absolutely a villain. His kill count is around 30 on screen deaths (in the comic and animated) basically the highest ammount of kills we the audience have seen any character be responsible for.

see i wish this is actually the case, and if this is actually going to happen. but seeing as how reaper has also killed former overwatch agents, i wonder when that thin line of being an agent becomes genuine love for his job as a mercenary

You’re taking both of these characters’ stories at face value when there’s just not enough lore to definitively say to do so

well i would have to grasp straws at some point then.

Like i guess

It’s heavily implied that someone within Overwatch did it, last I checked

Probably a number of reasons. The truth about what happened. The fact that him almost dying and his organization dissolving doesn’t mean he has to stop doing what he feels like he has to. There’s no indication that he doesn’t care about protecting the world/thwarting talon just because he doesn’t want overwatch back.

He was the former strike commander of overwatch. His former buddy is a big bad of talon. Of course he has a point of existing.

…They do. That’s the point of blackwatch.

There’s not enough lore to tell you why reaper turned, and there’s plenty of theories that justify it. I question lore writing sometimes but idk. Never really saw an issue with these two. Closure is also a major driving force behind a lot of “old soldier” types in media anyway.

Have you read Sombra’s lore? There’s a global conspiracy that’s secretly manipulating all of the major factions in Overwatch’s universe, including both Overwatch and Talon. So if nobody else was to blame, then you can point to the global conspiracy.

However, from some of the lore tidbits Blizzard has released over the years, it’s strongly implied that Reyes is the one who blew up Overwatch’s headquarters, turning traitor and leading a mutiny against Jack.

Is it really so hard to believe that Jack just wants revenge for what happened to him? Real people have put in more effort to get revenge for much pettier things.

It’s clear that Jack no longer trusts the world governments to support him, and that he believes re-starting Overwatch would just cause history to repeat itself. Overwatch was brought down from within as well as from without; who’s to say it wouldn’t happen again?

Did you play or watch the cutscenes for the Retribution mission? When Reyes confronted Antonio, Antonio wasn’t afraid of him, at all. Antonio knew that his associates would set him free almost immediately if Blackwatch captured and interrogated him. It was clear to Reyes that Antonio wouldn’t talk. So he made the decision to kill Antonio instead, believing there was no other way.

If you only read the comic, Reyes seems like a voice of reason. But when his beliefs in restraint and limits are put to the test, he’s forced to make a difficult choice, one that would haunt him for years to come.

There’s a lot missing from his backstory, but he didn’t do a 180 in my eyes. The Retribution mission clearly shows how Reaper started to turn from a hero to a villain.

:V

i do believe he’ll still try to take down talon but after that, his story just feels like its over. no more hero business or protecting, just working toward his own goals.

maybe then, but i dont feel that they do now.

and thats probably the biggest problem with his character as a whole. theres no transition as to how he just became the villain and works for the organization he just tried to take a stand against in retribution.