2-2-2 Ended it all

Funny how that works

I would note that we were in fact forced for a year into Role-Q which to me suggests it is not out of the question that such a situation may repeat itself in the future.

2 Likes

What did force you to play Role-Q for a year?
Did they remove all other game modes for a year ?

There was no competitive open queue at all for almost a year.

As such if you wanted to play the game in the competitive mode you were unable to do so unless you played role queue.

1 Like

So the same way as if you want to play competive in Open-Q that you get forced to play tank ? Like in this example ?

2 Likes

I reached top 500 exclusively playing a damage dealer in every single game in multiple seasons and as such I do not believe the above statement is true.

Unless you are being hardcore disingenuous here, its not hard to distinguish there is a very clear difference between:

• I “feel” that if we dont have a tank we are going to lose this match and since no one is doing it I feel “forced” to switch to tank myself.
  • I literally can’t play anything else beside RQ if I want to play competitive. Choices are either play or dont.

Ironically, the only thing that FORCES you into 1 role and you CANT do anything else, is Role Queue. So it was done to avoid that “self imposed pressure” and to prevent having people asking you to switch roles, because in RQ its literally impossible (therefore no one would ask you to it).

2 Likes

Okay I am happy for you. But a lot of flex/tank mains are no longer in the game.
Or they would Open-Q as a premade to run a Goat team.
Are you really want a match where 3 - 4 dps run against a team with 2 - 3 tank and 2 - 3 healer ?

1 Like

A damage heavy composition is actually quite strong against a sustain type of composition. In fact the Shanghai dragons used it in in Stage 3 OWL season 2 to beat I believe it was the San Francisco shock who were playing 3-3.

I have also beaten 3-3 with similar airborne compositions. Giving how strong Pharah/Echo/Mercy are right now I have no doubt that such a composition is even stronger at this time.

Okay why we argument than you fine with open-q how it is and it is still in the game.
And you can now play even completive open-q.
So what it exactly the problem that people enjoy different game modes ?
Why do people want something removed that other like ?

3 Likes

I think it’s great that people get to enjoy different game modes.

I believe that they should however be equivalent in every respect - queing method aside -and placed at the same level in the game menus for both quickplay and competitive.

Completely true there….

The community in general from top to bottom had been crying about it.

The Dev update from Papa Jefe for 2-2-2 covers this.

Between public outcry for more controlled/balanced environment/games, and the Devs needing to solidify a long term path forward for the game, 2-2-2 made a lot of sense. And still does.

When 5v5 comes out, it’ll start off as 1-2-2, but I’d be more than willing to bet it rolls over to no role requirement.

This is simply because in a 6v6 scenario, the skill curve for an individual to have great impact while soloqueuing is disastrously high.

Reducing a hero from each team changes this drastically. And as Overwatch 2 evolves, I wouldn’t be surprised if tanks effectively get phased out all together (and turned into fat DPS).

We’ll see though….

Isn’t “Top 500” in Open Queue like Low Diamond?

1 Like

It was around 3700 SR in the first season that I reached top 500.

For Role Queue? Sure.
For FORCED 222 ? Nah. Not at all.
Only some part of the community did. I can guarantee you 100% that is not the case for many other players that left the game. Specially true flex players.

It only makes sense if it was ONLY available in LFG and the rest of the game was Open Queue. LFG allows you to control your group, and as for the enemy team, you should have ZERO control over it so yeah, it solves the issue.

The Facts are still there, I already mentioned them on this thread so I am not going to repeat myself : It solved less issues than it created.

Now they are holding onto RQ but taking out 1 less tank. I think its a good implementation and people are pre-complaining (shocker huh?) but theres no doubt that they know, deep inside, they sacrificed A LOT of the game when they implemented the forced 222.

2 Likes

Again…. Enough from top to bottom.

Blizzard borderline redesigned the game for it…. It was definitely not a simple implementation.

That’s cool….

:violin:

Really though I’m not even arguing with you. I’m simply pointing out what was stated in the Dev update for 2-2-2.

No…. Blizzard kinda shot themselves in the foot with Overwatch (initially).

Their whole initial design was a hero shooter with various heroes and counter play strategy.

But with so many abilities in the game, correct balance has been an issue ever since. And balancing around unrestricted edges is very complicated.

So they saw an opportunity to narrow their scope and honestly for the better.

Literally since I first started coming to the forums, it’s always, nerd this, buff that, delete brig.

People hate multiple heroes and counter play (because they wanna play their beloved Genji into everything). So Blizz said tuck if, we’ll move towards soft counters and skill match-ups.

Now all heroes are viable :smiley:

NOmegalul…. About as useful of a feature as hero bans, except hero bans definitely went the way of the 🦤.

Enforced Role Queue makes it so both teams are required to have some “function” of structure.

I mean…. I’m not gonna go hunt for your facts.

There are plenty of people top to bottom that prefer 1 mode over the other and they’re available to play.

And “my” facts state that it solved significantly more problems than it created. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Well yes…. 2-2-2 is heavily determined by tank performance. And people much more prefer a more…. Hero Shooter play style…. So that’s the direction they’re pushing in.

More flanky, lower time to kill, more dueling and quick engagements (Valorant :thinking:).

Well it simplifies the game.

6v6 pretty much forces greater team synergy to be victorious.

5v5 allows more individual carry potential and less team reliance

(since people spend more time soloqueuing than grouping up).

Ehhh…. Meh….

They certainly redesigned for certain….

As to how much was sacrificed?? Guess we’d have to ask Papa Jefe…. :woman_shrugging:t2:

not at all

as a point of clarification, there never was (and never is) any such requirement made. the choice to provide (or not provide) credentials was (and always will be)
just that - a choice, voluntary

that said, given that this claim was used to appear to speak from a position of authority on forum-related matters, it is entirely reasonable to ask on these forums that the claim be supported

see above. this was never required, and further, in regards to your claim that I have called you a liar, I have never made any such statement in any thread anywhere in the forums, including but not limited to this one

as no such statements have been made, there is no such activity to cease

I have made no personal threats upon you, or on any member of these forums

I ask that such accusations cease immediately

I do not understand how it is possible for person A to believe that he/she has been personally threatened by person B and yet then attempt to continue a conversation inviting further interaction from person B. One might then believe that the accusation of personal threat to be a sham

I have already addressed some of this

Some of this is loaded with presumptions/presuppositions and ergo is not something I’d choose to address

1 Like

not at all

the two arent the same at all, not even remotely

not at all

I have never made such a statement

if one wished to play the main 6v6 game modes for Overwatch as a whole - there was a substantial period of time where one had no other choice other than to play 222 with all of its severe problems

further - playing 6v6 role-less queue remains an arcade only option to this day, when it should be side by side with 222 qp on the main game selection menu as competitive is

the two are not remotely the same, not even comparable

the main problem is that the two modes are not equivalent, though they should be and very often are claimed to be

there remains a large number of differences between the modes aside from the only necessary differences, which is queuing

there is (and was) a large segment of the community that never wanted and never asked for 222 to be inflicted upon us

there was an outcry in the forums before 222 infested the game to not add 222, as it was well known that bottlenecks at dps - leading to excessive waits to play - would occur. That outcry continues today

Many of those who were originally in favor of 222 have come to the forums and to other internet discussion media to declare that now that they had experienced 222, they knew they were wrong to have supported it in the first place

Blizzard has spent substantial capital (time, money, and resources) to bandaid 222 with things like the fast pass. All of that draft capital could have otherwise been devoted to actual game enhancements, but instead, the many severe problems with 222 forced their hand

I know of many severe problems that 222 added to the game

I know of nothing I’d consider a problem that 222 actually solved

I see 222 as THE worst change ever made to the game, with no close second

2 Likes

To clarify, your request for evidence of my profession is a direct insinuation of your accusation of lies.

Requests for evidence of such a kind is a direct request for me to harm myself through giving personal information out through the internet.

You also did not address any of the questions i asked, which is another lie on your part.

Please stop requesting i perform actions that could lead to personal harm.

not at all

I have already addressed this - I have made no such statements - and will not be addressing it further

not at all

similar to the previous item: I have made no such statements, have already covered this item earlier, and won’t be addressing it any further

not at all

In order for someone to lie, someone has to make a statement.

said another way, a statement can be a lie or truthful, but in both cases, a statement of some kind is required

the absence of a statement is never a lie.

I have asked several times that the accusations cease, and I ask here and now once again that such accusations cease immediately

I have made no such requests and ergo have nothing to stop

Similar to the above, I ask that such accusations cease immediately

1 Like