📰 1/1/2/1/1 is inevitable, and I've proven it

I think it’s possible but, I don’t think it’s inevitable.

Do you have as many people that want to be each on the sub roles?

If you don’t you’ve just driven up queue times.

What are you going to do about the borderline heroes?

Some roles may not have many options depending on where the line is drawn.

Will the game make it that long?

Games with skill based matchmaking need more players than those without it. Much of what is good about Overwatch is the polish and the polish doesn’t come cheap.

We might see a move to Overwatch 2/3 instead of a continued progression on Overwatch

Or since there is 3 shield hero now, we can introduce hero bans now.

1 Like

I wonder if it will come before or after hero bans and/or F2P. How long until its just basically 12 Soldiers each game?

Yeah, cuz that’s what we need,as a player base: more limits and restrictions, on our fun and enjoyment

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

The problem with that is that a lot of DPS can fill both roles depending on teamcomp / playstyle. Even a handful of Supports and you could maybe count Sigma into this as well.

your mathematical argument is really cute but tell that to games like hots or LoL with 85 or even over 100 heroes…
i dont think its a realistic problem.

we should just balance healers and tanks so that most duos are viable. of course there will be meta combinations that are better than the others, but thats inevitable. as long as the other combinations arent all literally trash, thats fine.

By the time we have enough heroes, it’s going to go straight to 1/1/1/1/1/1.

I honestly doubt we will get that far though.

1 Like

Uhh, 1/1/1/1/1/1 makes no sense. DPS’s role is to do damage, period. If you’re an “off-DPS”, you’re basically a bad DPS…

Yeah sure, I really want to tag a game, look at the character selection screen and only be able to play 4 out of 31 heroes.
What a good feeling to be free of my choices !

O(NlogN) nice one, remind me of good old leetcode interview days and my cse101 algorithm class.
What you working on? Dynamic programming?

I’d actually welcome this change, it would just be a lot of clicking to queue / un-queue for certain roles. It would actually shoehorn people into doing precisely what their role is.

Another issue is that sometimes the lines between what people consider Main and Off are blurry.

PS: 1-1-2-1-1 is clearly more restrictive, but I played a lot of Paladins where you can’t even switch characters. Restriction isn’t inherently bad. Sure, it means that a few matches are decided at the character select screen, but it made the game far more interesting than the Rock-Paper-Scissors vibe OW has sometimes.

As a Main Tank player, I think the game would tag before I click the button.

Ehh, I don’t think people will be that exciting playing with Symmetra 1.0, Bastion 1.0 and Symmetra 1.0 again…

I think it’s stupid.
Right now, in the support category, you can run 2 main supp or 1 main supp/1 off supp. If you force the roles, you’ll lost some good combos (Mercy/Ana, Ana/Bapt, Moira/Bapt).
Same for tank, Hammond is a main tank but can be run as an offtank, same for Sigma.

Also, in DPS an “off-DPS” is most likely a utility DPS (snipers, turrets, hack, freeze), so you could have a 1-1-1-1-1-1, but let’s not be stupid.

It didnt have Doomfist.

222 lostus enough combos already…
Might as well go all out, and remove any choice from the players.

Yeah dude you cracked the code you got them gratz dude

I would not be opposed to this. However, you are losing sight of one critical factor: going forward the design and balancing for all characters is around 2-2-2, and within a role the move is away from for instance main tank/off-tank. Sigma and WB both are good examples of this, and likewise Bap is capable of either role. I do not believe based on that we will ever see a future deviation from 2-2-2.

game is far too dead for 11211 to over happen, get over it. unless you want two hour queue times even for tanks and healers.

just fix the tank category and reduce the differences between “off” and “main” without removing them entirely.

“Gamez dead brah, gamez dead”… 2-3 minute queue times, who’s playing it I wonder?