šŸ“ Why are people posting about Hong Kong? [Explanation]

Love to see people calling out human rights abuses met with nerds on gaming forums saying, ā€œum, actually if you read the rulebook, clause 47, subsection 3, paragraph 5, itā€™s actually a violationā€¦ā€

22 Likes

Expect nothing less.

Expect nothing less.

Expect nothing less.

Expect nothing less.

You must wait 5 seconds to meme again.

If the agreement required he not back Hong Kong, a country in need of support, I say it is ethical to break that agreement at that point. Set bad terms, get bad results. Think greatest good.

6 Likes

Lookā€¦ Iā€™m not hear to say whats right and wrong as a personā€¦ Iā€™m a business manā€¦ okay? lol I play video games when I come in from work , and we have a sayin in the office , ā€œKeep religion , and politics out of three things ā€¦ chit chat , interviews, and date night.ā€ theres a reason why this is a sayingā€¦ because snowflakes will get offended by anything , and blizzard shouldnā€™t have to pay for what some idiot that breaks the rules purposely mind you.

2 Likes

I mean itā€™s no different that nerds who didnā€™t care about Hong Kong till some gamer told them to care.

4 Likes

Also you really think thatā€¦ you think while he was giggling to himself , while wearing a mask and goggles during a live broad cast , he was really thinking about " Iā€™m gonna make a differenceā€¦" lol no he was trolling okay? Iā€™m sorry but call it as I see it.

What?

Theyā€™re completely different.

The amount of people misusing the words ā€œFreedom of Speechā€ truly makes me fear for the US education. Freedom of Speech protects from the GOVERNMENT censoring speech.

A private company absolutely can censor what you say while under their employ as terms of being employed. As a de-facto employee he absolutely can have his speech governed by the people who are paying him and if they say ā€œNo Politicsā€ then you have to abide.

11 Likes

Are they? I mean this has been going on for months now, the first posts I have seen about it have been today.

3 Likes

People pretend that. but no one cared until this situation showed up and people decided this was a hill to die on. Itā€™s been happening for a long time now before this

3 Likes

The protests have been going on for months. I donā€™t think there have been hordes of Hearthstone players chiming in until recently. Thatā€™s why you havenā€™t heard discussion about it on a Blizzard forum.

1 Like

Like I said Iā€™m just a business man trying to help yall understand the rules of presenting yourself professionally, he did it wrong, sorry but he did.

2 Likes

Seems youā€™re uninformed that also the 2 casters were fired as well.

1 Like

No I know like said iā€™s a shame that they were , I donā€™t know if they were fired for aging him on to do it, but I call it as I see it , he was clearly trolling and not taking the interview seriously so ya.

Love the framing there.

No one cared until a Hearthstone streamer chimed in and now this is a ā€œhill to die onā€.

Justā€¦ lol.

1 Like

why would anyone post about it here before this incident?

had no relation to OW until now

13 Likes

You are welcome to your own interpretation of course. The subject matter isnā€™t funny though. It is possible he did not understand the ramifications. Personally though I feel the more people are aware of HKā€™s situation and the more coverage it gets, the better for the citizens living in fear.

14 Likes

If it was more, ā€œthat would make us look bad to Chinaā€ but the result is still the same. Blizzardā€™s game. Blizzardā€™s rules.

Try to look at it from Blizzardā€™s perspective. Theyā€™re a business and itā€™s in their interest to remain apolitical. If every player who got up on stage started talking politics itā€™s obviously going to get controversial, which is why their public-facing platforms are strictly for business and not personal soapboxing.

Imagine youā€™re a Blizzard exec and this kid gets up on stage supporting the Hong Kong Revolution. You may personally support the Hong Kong revolution too, but if you endorse his opinion in any official capacity you might be looking at China blocking your games and effectively shutting down your Taiwan branch. That means letting go of all those employees with families to feed, not to mention millions of Chinese gamers who paid for your product suddenly left hung to dry unable to play your games. OTOH if you stay apolitical your Western audience will get offended and potentially boycott.

Itā€™s a lose-lose situation either way, which is why Blizzard stays out of it in the first place. This is why they have rules against soapboxing with commensurate penalties, all of which were broken by this kid and all of which were executed accordingly.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s all you had to say. I understand how it works.

5 Likes

Isnā€™t Taiwan de facto separate from China? I doubt theyā€™d do anything if China started banning Blizzard games. :no_mouth:

1 Like