“ Levels don’t equal skill “

Like with anything in life experience is everything so I’m curious as to why people actually believe account level doesn’t equate to a higher knowledge of the game.

Thoughts?

If you have a competitive match & one team has all diamond borders & the other has an average level of less than 100 ( not Smurf’s or alts ) I’d say 8 times out of 10 the former gets the win purely based on map knowledge alone.

Agreed, 100%, the only thing a higher level grants is more lootboxes, comp points due to games played, and possibly map knowledge.

3 Likes

Also a high level account player would have a more broad skill level on multiple heroes when the need comes to switch to a counter , knowing when to switch & knowing when a switch will have a detrimental effect on the outcome.

Then again they’re probably more set in their ways and probably don’t care at that point about sr.

People say it precisely because there are so many smurfs in overwatch. You never know if the level 25 account has a 5 star diamomd border main or if he has 6 different accounts with considerable time played. It would be a lot different if people were forced to play only one account.

9 Likes

In atheltics there is a plateau or peak. You decline past your prime. You go from being pro to being a coach. This holds for esports as well. But we’re not talking about peak output. This thread is about xp and skill correlation.

In the realm of decision making, your brain does well for many more years, but you might not be as sharp under pressure. You lose a couple of IQ points (raw information processing, say) in exchange for crystallized knowledge (access to learned associations, say).

In complex tasks like gaming - it’s not just about reaction time, but advanced planning and reasoning. Those things draw upon a considerably lower amount of raw compute and more association lookups (memory).

So for neurokinetic reasons I tend to think there is a lot to be said about hours played, hero stats, pool size, etc. These things should correlate with some kind of ability. Even if it were just gamesense. All those lessons learned, mechanics memorized, etc. But they might negatively correlate with drive and desire.

Some older accounts play like they’re washed and dead inside, not because they lack ability - but because they don’t need to sweat for wins anymore. They’re accomplished, but you keep sending them fake accounts to tryhard against.

4 Likes

I have to disagree. I have played with Plat and Gold level border accounts who still do not know where healthpacks are located on certain maps.

Having a broad spectrum of player time on various heroes most often than not proves to be one’s disadvantage. I am not saying please be an OTP but being really good or feeling comfy on 2-3 heroes beats being average on 15 of them in my book. But that is only my opinion.

Also high level borders most definitely do not mean higher skill or better gamesense. I am honestly not saying that high level borders cannot have both, God forbid, but in low elos and in my experience they lack both of it the most.

My point is, there is a huge difference between someone having 3k hours in this game simply for the sake of playing or someone having 300 hr while actually trying to learn or do certain things. Quality over quantity is what I am saying basically.

2 Likes

idk ive seen these diamond boarders be at a peak of like 2900 and my main is only 5 star bronze boarder (and 3 other accs that are 2 star) and ive peaked 4200 with about 700 hours on the game. and these people have 4000 hours. So i would say its different for most.

3 Likes

When I first started playing this game I was in Bronze at 1.3k. I got out of it while being 1 star Bronze account, that including not playing every day due to RL stuff. I got into Gold without even being a Silver border.

Your post only accentuates what I wrote. Quality over quantity.

1 Like

This is quite easy to explain. If you drive to work every day in life, taking the same routes, drive the same areas with the same drivers basically, you don’t learn anything more past a point. You literally are just doing the same thing at the same level over and over.

To your point a truly “new” driver fresh out of driver’s ed is going to respond to situations like emergencies, adverse conditions etc. most likely worse than a seasoned driver.

In your example, the diamond borders are the daily drivers; they never push into other areas with more aggressive drivers, or try different routes and most importantly, have not since they were roughly the same level as the other team.

if what you said the outcome should be true is, then I would agree but its usually not. Its also very rare to see a team of diamond borders against a team of sub-100’s… I’d be more suspicious quite frankly of the sub-100’s…

1 Like

At the same time what’s the chance for lvl 25 account to actually belong somewhere in high gold?

3 Likes

People learn at a different pace and in different ways. Also experiences are not the same. Someone plays only comp, someone plays only qp, someone aonly aracde, someone is in between, someone plays to climb, someone to wind of after a days work - so they will vary in skill ofc no matter the time put in.

This is all not taking IQ and age into consideration.

If the person played team FPS games a lot before hand - chances of placing no lower than plat are high - seen it firsthand with my friends.

Dude on my main account I’m plat border and have played a total of 90h of comp - high diamond is where it’s stuck at but I gave that up cuz my monitor can’t run more than 60 fps - and I just play qp to lay of steam.

1 Like

Levels don’t equal skill.

4 Likes

But they sure do correlate.

1 Like

I mean it’s clear that level doesn’t necessarily equal skill when you see high borders in low elo

it’s a strawman to bring up sub level 100s versus 6 diamond borders lol. Better comparison would be 6 250s vs 6 750s+

Kmowledge is diff than skill

You can have no game knowledge and an fps player rolls up as mcree and places plat on his 100th level

Knowledge is important though, it’s useful to know and can help and can also be used to teach people that don’t know things

Obviously not since their are so many hardstuck high level accounts.

1 Like

Not true

higher level people get stuck at a certain skill level without improving or either play casually, so they dont progress

there can and usually will be people with way less playtime who are better because of right mindset and/or mechanics.

i hit my peak at CS:GO during around 3.500 hours, and after playing another my 3k my skill improved just very very little.

I played the violin for 6 years. By the end I wasn’t a complete noob, but people with 4 years experience had already surpassed me. Often times it’s not just about total playtime, but how you spend that, if you’re serious and practising, if you know what you need to work on and do so, if you play it consistently or just a bit over the course of a few years, etc. The same goes for Overwatch. Someone with 200 hours but who seriously works on improving will often be better at the game than the many gold border quick play players.

2 Likes

Well, in specific when someone says this they generally mean their actual skill level.

While it absolutely does mean more general knowledge(which as you said can win games), a players direct skill and performance can actually stay the exact same through hundreds of levels, primarily because of the way overwatch is built(Doesn’t encourage improvement.)

General map knowledge can help you pick up the slack in low-rank games but just knowing where a healthpack is isn’t the end-all-be-all of overwatch. The game itself typically shows you, with physical indicators, where you need to be or what you should be doing and as long as you’re with the team then you should be fine.

I’m living proof that level and skill aren’t related.

also its not even uncommon to see a Gold border soldier, standing still when they shoot, not taking highground and pushing unnesscarily

1 Like