Was reverting towers to not target attacking heroes a step back in the wrong direction?

Assuming they get their original slow back BUT keep their non-hero priority, the flat buff I’d give towers is 3k more health each. Gate hp and wall would need to be buffed too in health, but I may be convinced they don’t need a buff as their relatively lower hp would allow them to be broken to create offensive play potential.

Another option is an hp buff AND having the towers do bonus damage to minions, but not monsters or heroes in a true push. The attacking team already gets chip damage as an advantage. Shoving the lane and then rotating elsewhere still heavily chunks the tower even with no attacking hero

This reasoning is so bad. Why is it one or the other?

Imagine protecting structures that also protect you. It’s almost like a proper fort, or something.

5 Likes

This used to be correct, but objectives got way too powerful on some maps, to the point buildings simply became xp sticks.

1 Like

the problem is that making it so that he outer towers were “fair” in how they focused heroes would require massive amounts of iteration and feedback.

The game was fine before they tried the tower changes, and the overall compromise they came to is a net positive over what it was before.

all the towers and structures DID NOT have a slow. Do your research.
Only Forts and Keeps had slows… and I’m all for those coming back instead of -armor.

4 Likes

Original towers were too weak. That was the whole point of the tower anomaly

That the towers were too weak?
Uh. I dunno, the game designers seem to feel different.

1 Like

I would not mind and even encourage for the forts and keeps to have their original slow and focusing on attackers.

No way would i accept normal towers to 40 armor shred people, this was not a middle ground at all.

3 Likes

They were. Adam Jackson literally said the towers would leave you hanging. Your link literally says towers were too weak

could you give me a quote please?

Because that isn’t what I’m reading…

So the towers would “leave you hanging” because they targeted heroes last.
“more productive” and “smart members of your team” != was weak before.

???

The towers killed them because the heroes were focused first. NOT because the buffs the towers got. Although the initial buff likely helped (note it was reverted).

Still not seeing where the towers were to weak.

We also have this post on the forum linked at the end:

Notice how the production is increased by the towers focusing the heroes. The minor buffs to their damage output was not the core principle.

And it went way overboard in the negative impacts of lane gameplay, and making people fall into this trap:

No.
You should always be putting as much effort as possible into protecting your structures.
If you’re in your “fort” behind the walls and an enemy dives? Yes, the towers should protect you.

One change that would likely not happen (confusion) would be making towers attempt to target what the keep is targeting.

And I also do miss the slow.

But “the towers are/were too weak” is not what is mentioned, in terms of statistics.

2 Likes

changing the mechanics of the tower signaled they were too weak. If you don’t consider mechanical change a buff then we can agree to disagree

Tower targeting priority is still stupid and should be reverted so all the towers don’t target heroes. Towers need a damage nerf otherwise.

Imo towers should fulfil the role of deterring kills but allow heroes to trade blows so towers should only attack enemy heroes when enemy heroes attack a hero below 50%hp

Reverted to complete lack of call for help or reverted back so all towers have call for help?

There are people who still think towers are too strong but I’m on the far opposite side of that thought. Towers tickle and do not deter anyone from diving even without minions. Assuming you’re only being dived due to you being half or lower in hp, the enemy isn’t gonna be pressured by the tower enough at all

I’m fine with Forts and Keeps to have their damage buffed and slow returned but removed the armor reduction (I personally think slow is way more dangerous than armor debuff). I also don’t mind them prioritizing heroes that attack allied heroes as they feel like a proper fort.

Regular towers shouldn’t prioritize heroes though. Maybe they can keep the armor debuff for the front towers, but they won’t prioritize heroes?

2 Likes

I think the towers should either have the slow or the -40 armor shred but not both.

I liked the slow because it allowed for skilful kiting and gave you a reason to push your luck, depending on your skill. Having to clear minions for the structures to prioritize minions was not really that big of a deal unless you were melee.

Actually, I prefer the slow over the armor shred. Armor shred adds excessive obstacles to certain heroes while laning.

My philosophy is that structures should protect you while you protect them. However, I think that the ‘home field advantage’ should be a thing while fighting INSIDE a base and not while standing outside the gates.

3 Likes

I like their targeting system now, but they are way too weak now. I think damage nerfs should be reverted and it’ll be okay.

1 Like

Yep it was. Uninstalled the game and never looked back after that. They were also dialing back on the damage buff. That just reinforced the idea that I made the right choice with uninstalling.

I would hardly call dives free. There’s still an element of danger, being way into the enemy’s base, and also having to deal with fort fire. There’s a definite risk to it, so I’m not buying the argument. If you get behind your wall, that’s most often enough to be safe.

It’s weird how some people look at this. If I get dived on and get killed, I don’t think my towers are useless, I just admire that the enemy was willing to take a risk and give them kudos because a fair amount of times it doesn’t work and they die.

Unless I’m mistaken, didn’t they make the towers focus players, then deem the armor debuff was too much, so they nerfed towers damage, while also nerfing the armor, and then took the armor debuff off and forgot to… rebuff them? Towers just don’t feel threatening at all right now.

Kill the minions, problem solved.

Yes they did. First dmg was nerfed and then armor was nerfed