The A.I. in this game is garbage, at least the allied ones are

I’m not one for playing ranked or even qp. I prefer to just do vs ai to have some fun and knock out some quests, but that’s hard to do when my allies have the intelligence of a rabbit. It’s rare to find an enemy ai alone, they often travel in packs of 2 or 3, while the friendly ai has all the organization of a bowl of oatmeal. I can be trying to capture an objective, and get surrounded by 3 enemy heroes, while my team mates walk past to go have a tea party with a merc camp. If Blizzard is trying to get the ai to show off their dancing skills, I’ve seen far better dancing from baked potatoes. Running back and forth in the middle of nowhere, or dancing in and out of a friendly gate depending on which way you move is not helpful in the slightest. And don’t even get me started on the healers…I know for a fact that the cooldown on Li-Li’s heals are less than 10 seconds, but the ai refuses to heal me when I’m at 100 hp unless I follow them halfway back to spawn. And Lucio likes to keep his speed boost up despite being right next to someone at 10% health. Quests like to ask you to win games as a healer or support, which is impossible when you’re trying to play a game with a group of blind kittens. You HAVE to go damage if you want any hope of winning because the ai will not do anything. Even bruisers can have a hard time trying to carry the team because it’s always the strongest assassin on the enemy team accompanied by their healer that hunts you down while your Brightwing tries to solo the only lane that still has both keeps, then to phaseshift across the map to an ally who’s missing 15 hp and you’re about one ability away from death. They think the objective is safe and secure the instant it has been captured, then they move off to go dancing as the enemy team comes en masse to capture the point they just vacated. I don’t like the stress of playing against other players because chances are, they’re better than me, but playing alongside or even against ai is just so infuriating that I don’t even want to play the game anymore.

2 Likes

did you know that you can ping the AI to follow you around? not saying that there’s nothing wrong with the AI they do need fixing and they’re working on them but if you want them to follow you then just ping them and they’ll come to your location instead of split up taking camps.

1 Like

I’ve got good news, OP. They’re working on overhauling the AI right now, and will be addressing a ton of issues that have plagued bot allies for the past 2+ years.

3 Likes

It may just ne me but the Ai seems to have changed a bit already some days ago.

I see it trying to finish off someone focused while it would let it live with low hp before (butcher still is dumb charging and backing off though).
I also see the AI counter camps by taking theirs and i begin to see the AI trying to invade camps again but in the systematic dumb fashion it did before.

i hope etc bot isn’t reworked… he is awesome with those mosh pits

They need a team wide AI that can divide it’s resources instead of sending all 5 heroes at whatever each AI decides is priority individually.

Objective pops while there’s a catapult on the core? Individual AIs currently ignore the catapult and swarm the objective. With a team wide AI the enemy team could decide to split it’s resources between the two instead of each individual enemy deciding independently the objective is more important than dealing with the catapults.

I haven’t seen that mentioned, but if so, this will hopefully be for the best.

The bots have been broken, ever since they attempted to make them ‘human-like’; the bots before that were basic, but got the job done, whereas now they can’t even break open the treasure on Blackheart’s Bay and suicide in mercenary camps.

here’s the post

3 Likes

Even when I ping them, they dance around for a few seconds and then forget that I told them to do something

I had a medivh bot yesterday. I pinged it to follow me around and it did save my butt with a couple protects and polybombs. Can’t say the bot was any worse than the average medivh player.

Likewise had an alarak bot made him follow me.
He followed up on all my dive taunt. He was way better than the player who left.

I have never lost a coop game vs A.I. Like, ever. I can’t understand how it’s possible.

You’ll find that in most cases. This simply isn’t the case. I know a lot of players who have multiplayer anxiety. And a few games is all it takes to remove it.

If you’re worried about toxic people, just mute chat.

1 Like

Ironically, the very same update that cause the AI to behave like it does now was also touted as an improvement /overhaul.

1 Like

in that case just wait till they finish working on it and hope it’ll be better!

Honestly it depends not just on what hero is AI, but what hero you’re playing too. The other day our Muradin left the game and I pinged him as Auriel, I thought I could at least heal him.

As it turns out our bruiser was the best choice to ping Mura as otherwise he would just stand back with me and never engage.

There is no doubt the AI is wonky, as people have said they are going to fix it. It’s still sad though that it was far superior in every respect up until the changes they made almost 2 years ago.

1 Like

I actually LOL’d at this… worst winrates against AI were 90-92% current winrates are about 99.5% lol AI is SOOO MUCH WORSE.

Sure I’ve gotten somewhat better, but until this AI actually challenges the Human Sgt Hammer parking just to the right or left of any keep and basically destroying every building UNCHALLENGED so the game ends in about 9-12 minutes where the only death comes when you are too lazy to unsiege and you need a death to afk for a minute or 2 I have no faith in our “Biology Major” AI genius… Good Luck bro…

Yeah, I remember the bots being way scarier back then, plus even in custom games watching them fight one another was entertaining.
They’ve improved them a bit, but they seem to wander around captured camps and you see the bar go up and down until 20 seconds later, the AI has wondered in the right spot of the circle to capture it.
Plus they still don’t chase after low health enemies (something about low health enemies scares them, or maybe they’re just showing their power to scare you? This is Elite AI by the way).

It’s nice that they’ve finally fixed the AI not completing objectives like the treasure chests on Blackheart’s Bay, where they can finally destroy them again, instead of circling them.

1 Like

Well, it IS true that it no longer suicides lol.

1 Like

Please use paragraphs.

1 Like