Step by Step Stabilization Measures

I don’t know how profitable Dota 2 is. Like HotS, once content and features are developed it could have low expenses. The point is Dota 2 gave away all its gameplay content (which may be a lot older than the game and traditionally free, complicating monetizing it) because it was used as a gateway to an entire money-making platform (Steam). Dota 2 is an exception, and you do not at all grasp how resource-intensive it would be to try pulling the rabbit out of your Hats.

In fact, let’s look at h ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dota:

Valve’s interest in the Dota intellectual property began when several veteran employees, including Team Fortress 2 designer Robin Walker and executive Erik Johnson, became fans of the mod and wanted to build a modern sequel. The company corresponded with IceFrog by email about his long-term plans for the project, and he was subsequently hired to direct a sequel. IceFrog first announced his new position through his blog in October 2009, with Dota 2 being officially announced a year later. Shortly after, Valve filed a trademark claim to the Dota name. At Gamescom 2011, company president Gabe Newell explained that the trademark was needed to develop a sequel with the already-identifiable brand.

An early goal of the Dota 2 team was the adaptation of Defense of the Ancients 's aesthetic style for the Source engine. The Radiant and Dire factions replaced the Sentinel and Scourge from the mod, respectively. Character names, abilities, items and map design from the mod were largely retained, with some changes due to trademarks owned by Blizzard. In the first Q&A session regarding Dota 2 , IceFrog explained that the game would build upon the mod without making significant changes to its core. Valve contracted major contributors from the Defense of the Ancients community, including Eul and artist Kendrick Lim, to assist with the sequel. Following nearly two years of beta testing, Dota 2 was officially released on Steam for Windows on July 9, 2013, and for OS X and Linux on July 18, 2013. The game did not launch with every hero from Defense of the Ancients . Instead, the missing ones were added in various post-release updates, with the final one, as well as the first Dota 2 original hero, being added in 2016.

Dota 2 is basically an ancient game that took its content from a presumably free mod. There’s nothing surprising that the product was the playerbase and attention that came with it, not the game they didn’t make and gave away for free. The developers who gave money to Valve to sell their games on Steam were the customers. Valve had its own games on the platform too. By the way, since 2016 and including the release of their first original hero they’ve released only 9 heroes! lol

This is the only thread that has simple, doable, potentially effective ideas for Heroes of the Storm’s predicament. Other posters are just shooting the breeze.

You’re right, but the thing is why I think hats are potencially a great idea, because it’s user-generated potencial free content for the game and Blizzard’s fanbase is full of artists and creators (see Blizzcon, cosplays and such). So it would be an additional option to advertise this game more.

I mean just remember for what Blizzard was known? They were known for customer-friendly and creative products and it’s true Dota 2 is a sequel of an old game, but you don’t have to forget that Dota heroes are based on Warcraft heroes, because this mod was a mod from Warcraft 3. I don’t have to tell that heroes as Abbadon or Drow Ranger are adaptions from Arthas and Sylvanas.

Nice funfact to add there are creative minds as Spazzo or Sami that also creates content for the current game (not real content, but fun one, but still), so this game would be slowly grow and be popular again, because everyone loves content.

It sounds good, but making it a reality is not going to happen. Look at the basic stuff people are swearing up and down this forum and reddit that the developers don’t have the budget and resources for. Turtle and I are literally asking the developers to sell their own existing content! lol For your idea to become a reality I would argue they don’t even have the people. It’s a pipe dream, and the effect may not at all be what you expect.

By the way, I’ve run across Sami. Sami is not growing and making the game popular again. lol

Everyone is special too.

The current dev team don’t have the ressources true, but the company does. The will of the community just have to be bigger. I mean don’t forget what happend after the legendary meme words:

“You think you do, but you don’t”

Sure WoW classic might be another dimension compared to Hots, but still there is hope.

And still even that one person can create new stuff, make ads for his stuff via social media and that’s how you attract people in 2021. And I bet it’s not just these two I mentioned.

Well, go start your own thread selling these Hats. Let’s see how it goes. If you get more upvotes than me on reddit we’ll know how much hope there is. lol

sigh

Goshdarn I hate my life.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dota2fashionadvice/

Do you mean like that? I see people like creating cosmetic stuff.

None of my hots related content get any recognition unless its massive reddit bait like the april fools stuff can get (and ironically I get a fair share of death threats from doing that but hey bad fame is good fame I guess?), lets be real its just a downward spiral when it comes to hots as of now, and when compared to the other garbage I post on my youtube channel it gets more recognition.

Also I don’t advertise hots like literally at all, its all dumb replays and they don’t get any recognition in comparison to the other content I post.

3 Likes

But would you, if Hots would have similar monetization system as Dota 2 with hats? Would you create hats for your beloved heroes, maybe Rag?

Death threats for Hots jokes? Unbelieveable… people are idiots, nothing else to say.

2 Likes

I’m genuinely curious how much work Valve put into that and how they’re making it work. It’s well, well beyond what the “classic” team can do. This is a marquee project with major implications even beyond one game. Incidentally, I didn’t see any Hats.

Maybe it’s not as impressive as it looks but it’s irrelevant presently.

What content do you post, Sami?

Always ends up this way with their threads. They present an idea. People don’t agree. They insult everyone. Then posters defend themselves by putting them in there place. They play dumb. By then it becomes a discussion on how to treat others.

2 Likes

Their* place.

When we’re lucky…

3 Likes

Trust me, you gain any notoriety and you get death threats for the dumbest reasons.

I constantly received death threats and general harassment when I was an MVP for D3. Some of it I invited upon myself, but much of it was unprovoked.

One of the myriad reasons why the MVP program was a colossal failure.

2 Likes

You heard the one about demand, supply, and price? Demand increases as price decreases, supply is unconstrained as digital items don’t need to be reproduced and more players who pay something are exactly what you want, and price is what you control.

One idea is basically a huge store-wide sale and the other is pay for two heroes and get fifty for a month on top. Super duper hard to understand stuff. First time I hear of a business being too poor to literally hold a sale. The economics make plenty of sense, supposedly these people can’t cover the cost of executing a sale with employees on the job! :roll_eyes:

Yusuke, make me a helmet to shield my head.

And skins, heroes, maps gets created by magic for free… :joy:

1 Like

Dog, they have already been created… now they just sit unsold.

Modding. My interests in hots is just really low and any hots content is just replays minus a few occasions.

1 Like

Been playing some SL on my main account where I have only a few heroes locked. The game fits a niche but given how comparatively shallow it is having access to many heroes is particularly important for engagement.

By the way, over 5-minute queue in Silver at 11 am on Saturday on the US East Coast. Also, with this idiotic ban system I literally need multiple accounts in order to avoid losing everything and be able to play consistently. Ah, I just, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen incompetent management squander as much as is happening with this game. Really, really stupid. It truly is a shame.

Concise as it gets. Two birds with one stone as you need money and players. Neither difficult to understand nor difficult to do.

They would’ve been smart to ameliorate this “free to play” business “model” much, much earlier. “HotS 2.0” is so ironic. All the dilutive content, the loot boxes and the Loot, the gems, the shards, the splitting - a lot more work with nothing to show for it. Aimless. Makes my blood boil to think how many pretentious twerps were involved in coming up with that nonsense. Bobby Kotick shouldn’t have taken their money (in reality they got paid too), he should’ve taken their first-borns. Hell if I know why he makes over $150 million a year but whatever.