Reasons why HotS failed to become popular?

1, bull$hit:
-lol wasn’t the first moba…
-not even the second
-fornite was not the first battleroyale, yet it’s still the 1#
Your “argument” is the sad loser’s argument, but holds no facts…

2, bull$hit again.
sc2 was pretty dead at hots release already, so was d3, wow was declining too.
Not like different genre games would matter…

3, If your product is better, then it doesn’t matter
But sadly your product was literal $hit…

4, Yeah that’s true, at least partly. If you are forced to play with a group of autist who leach your power, then don’t be surprised if none(apart from noobs) will paly with your game :DDDD

1 Like

For me also is:

1. pathetic balance very high negative impact and very low positive impact (one player can easy ruining games for other his teammates)
  2. useless bots (+ you can’t change talents)
  3. very low solo outplay potential (over team based gameplay), not really interest for looking, streaming or playing (i have more fun when i play in Vainglory on PC then in actual HotS (Alpha Beta is OK but not now))
  4. simulation of work (ugly reworks)
  5. bad flexibility, low talent diversity and too much good counter play talents was removed

Moba is genre not only about TFs, thats why force players play around this is bad idea.

The simple explanation and long-story-short I’d say is they strived for the “momentary boom” instead of rely on a slow/steady climb and fix game issues first

Tons of $$ were thrown into advertiesements and tourneys and such, but there was simply lack of “dev power” to make sure to justify those… Sure, there were maps, heroes, reworks, (quite good ones at that), but when the MM remains the issue, it’s a matter of time ppl. get fed of that kind of game/ladder experience tbh

2 Likes

Hanzo patch killed the game.

3 Likes

the devs ruined the game.

3 Likes

I think the biggest problem was it wasn’t honest with itself. The game did start off as blizzard dota. They have a policy of taking away without adding. So that makes mightyguy right.

They if had have really focused on real build variety. Nerfing popular talents in an attempt to make you pick ones nobody picks.

2 Likes

A MM system that changes based on how much you’re winning or losing.

Yeah, they was egoist, and full of themselves. They though that the big BLI$$ARD is the xxxGOODxxx of gaming development, and why would they listen to some players or abide the rules of mobas??? lol! they are the big blizzard they will reinvent the whole genre!
/fails horribly

And even at this very moment, when this game dying rapidly, they rather let it die, than admit that they failed with the reinventing of mobas and fixing the CORE issues with the gameplay…

You know the smarter and more experienced players told them even at beta that this will happen… they ain’t listened to the smarter, and so 100% deserve it.

2 Likes

OW heroes helped kill the game

4 Likes

Honestly, this was one of the big ones. They introduced heroes with infuriating mechanics and truly absurd mobility. Everyone despised playing against them. By the time they figured out their mistake, it was too late. A lot of people were pushed away by the bullsh*t Tracer, Genji, and yes Junkrat subjected them to.

But really, this just highlights another, deeper problem, which is the dev team never quite understood the nature of MOBAs. So many hero design decisions made were manifestly absurd, but were implemented anyway. And now the game’s all but dead.

2 Likes

oh fanbois, after all those sh*t replies on every suggestion post
(such "the game is fine, it’s balanced, if you don’t like it go back to LoL)

now still feeling superior? by blaming the Moba market?

where was those confidence “the game is the best moba”?
or “ofc it’s still small, it’s just out for 1 year, you idiot”

where was it?
shame right? to feel that you can’t brag about your “high rank” on a garbage failed game?

now you know the reason = you, fanbois

don’t believe me? do you think Dota become popular like now with no effort?
back the day when dota still baby, the dev is having non stop discussion at the forum to hear feedback and constantly updating the gameplay.

here just fanbois praising “the game is fine”

now enjoy :sparkling_heart: cheers :wink:

1 Like

They tried to do what they always do style over substance.

They tried lore and SJW loved characters. Over substance like balance and match making.

They did this with wow they did this with overwatch it won’t work in a competitive setting which mobas are.

Most people wanted a balanced weĺl playing game, not info about who their character boinks in their own time or why they want to fight.

It is the major reason they lack competitive games they never adjusted to the gaming culture of competitive gaming. Hell even fortinte seems more competitive and we dont know any of the characters upbringing or sexual preference.

2 Likes

They wanted AAA results with C+ Leadership & D- funding.

You’re missing the point, success isn’t guaranteed by making another DotA clone

Game dynamics was/is fine, what isn’t is the ladder system, the sad part is that it’s like 2 weeks of development time to rework/fix it, and that probably won’t happen, never did even with the old “full crew operating” though

It was also a rip off. Blizzard was capitalising on their brand and quite frankly, it was insulting. The prices they charged and for what it delivered was crap.

If you have been around you have read the threads a bout certain heroes copying champions fro league and dota. There were many complaints on how heroes don’t preform like they do in their own games. Characters like kharazim being changed to fit the support role.
Then we have the problem casualization. Players complain when they have to play different or change the cookie cutter buld they got of some website/

you’re the one who missed the point.
good ladder system doesn’t guarantee a good game. since when a developer or reviewer constantly critic or making ladder system as parameter of successful moba?

just give me 1 valid example

and if you talk about ladder system, or the matchmaking system - both won’t work well without mass amount of players. what’s the point on having placed on top 100 if only 100 playing?

and just play another moba, all ladder system are similar, what’s the difference? this is exactly why the game lack of good suggestions - it’s having people that lack of experience on playing moba giving suggestion while they have no idea what they’re talking about

2 Likes

I would say they A) are competing with themselves with their other titles. B) Moba players have already devoted hours and hours learning all the heroes, basic strats, etc and don’t want to swap to a new similar game and start from scratch. As well as people want to play “the biggest game” as if for some reason that makes it better? Probably just cause they want to feel included. Personally I think that is stupid.

1 Like

Bad hero design. Period.

1 Like

Quake 3 arena

AMAZING GAME, literally AMAAAAAZING, yet, few people play (IDK if dead at this point or still “hangs out” but it’s like LITERALLY only/specifically a DIE-HARD Quake trilogy [quadrology for some but diehards usually hate Q4] community game)

The reason why didn’t succeed ? = well first of all it may have something to do with it being a FPS game, BUT things like CS/CS-GO took over for reason, X ?

I’d say if anything it’s about the BAD LADDER SYSTEM in it as well, tune-in in a game and you’ll die like 10 times in first 30 seconds (until you even realize all the possible directions you can be shot from at the very spawn of game :P), it’s a complete mess with lasers & missiles & stuff going every which way

Another reason why it may have failed is second place is as good as last [i.e. only 1st place gets the win and everyone else gets a loss] but that’s another discussion

And YES, it’s a pretty damn good argument cause PEOPLE REALLY PLAY THIS GAME, they just not “invest into it” and end up playing AIs, QMs, UDs and all that… Even TL is played more than HL…

And YET = it’s HL that should represent the best of the game, BUT it ends up representing the worst, and THAT is THAT… It’s a simple bummer when ppl get into Ranked… It’s no coincidence = play 10 games today 2 of which Ranked, chances are that you’ll win 6 out of 8 of your “regular” games and lose at least one (if not both of them) in Ranked

I don’t mind losing, but I DO HOWEVER mind the complete mess and “uninformed environment” that ladder presents to you at ranked… You don’t know who you end up with, can’t know who you might end up against, can’t know how many % of people in your rank (or rank above if playing promo or rank below if playing demo game) play X amounts of roles, no % of highest WR heroes or HIT heroes with highest WR% at that ladder over last X days

NO DATA on who’s the leader and how well they did in last X days, no data of who’s worst and struggles but still somehow “hangs”, literally NOTHING USEFUL as well as NOTHING INSIGHTFUL to make you want to “invest” into Ranked

It’s just the very simple same as every other (well other than QM and AI) type of game

JUST IMAGINE if you have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE of playing ladder and actually FEELING LIKE you learn/progress, and all that = I’d argue that would make ALL THE DIFFERENCE, like literally ALL THE DIFFERENCE this game needs tbh

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to masked language as it is in violation of the Code of Conduct.