Loot chests can no longer be purchased with money

It’s a good change for people who play the game loads and are sitting on vast amounts of gold with all characters unlocked, they actually have something to buy now, either loot boxes are just shards.

It’s not really a change for people like me who still have characters to unlock and want to buy the gold mounts as they’re released, and I’m okay with that.

What about for the real gold not game? :rofl:

¥€$

3 Likes

not really when you think about it. less revenue and relaxed mode = less content. thats not something ppl typically hate less and love them more about. best case is they feel neutral.

Yeah I’m sure this (boxes only for gold) will turn out to bring in more $$$ overall.

Buy a few boxes for gold - oh, no gold left for new hero:
player 1) buy new hero with gems = $$$
player 2) I need a stimpack to get more gold! = $$$

P.S. I’m stimmed to my teeth for 4 years running.

2 Likes

Yeah it feels like the damage is done. It took downsizing staff and laws made against this terrible gaming model and the death of this games e-sports and the game put into maintenance mode before they stop this scummy way of getting money. Even now I don’t trust this new setup but I hold off my judgment pants for now!
The only reason this beaten wife is happy and greatful is because my husband Blizzard stop smackin’ me if you get my drift.

1 Like

As if there was any reason to spend money after 2.0 considering all the free stuff xD

1 Like

Getting a nova to lvl100 without stimpack is too slow. There’s always a reason to buy a stimpack. Having lvl2k+ is more fun than having lvl1k.
Meh you don’t need much reason to spend 50 eur.
There are much worse ways to spend it online (e.g., buy cod4 or destiny2 for 100 eur)

I did spend more money before 2.0 but only because I did not like the way they changed how I have to spend it just to get one thing, It turned into a all or nothing with lootboxes in between, that’s just not my life to live.

2 Likes

Looks like they needed a long term gold sink now that heroes aren’t coming out every few weeks. I also noticed the 10k+ mounts lately so that just screamed gold sink to me.

1 Like

People did really waste real money on loot boxes?
And why do people consider in game gold like it has a real monetary value?

… you had no other choice

lol

1 Like

I hope this change doesn’t make it to Live servers. Loot chests aren’t worth 3000 gold, I would rather just buy them with $$

2 Likes

A lot of comments about this decreasing revenue, this is completely untrue. I spent more in 1.0 because I felt better about spending money. I knew exactly what I was getting with every purchase.

When the consumer feels better about spending money they’re more likely to spend it. I have hundreds of games on my Steam account that I’ve never played. Why? Because they go on sale and I feel like I don’t mind parting with a few dollars on a game I may or may not like or play.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with loot boxes as a concept, it’s how they’re implemented.

Paid loot boxes are automatically bad because theyre effectively underage gambling systems, but unpaid loot boxes aren’t inherently bad. There’s nothing wrong with enticing new players getting them invested in the skin economy, nor is there anything wrong with rewarding players with randomized loot. It’s when it becomes your only avenue to obtain content that it becomes unethical.

What this should mean in the long run is more money spent because

1. You’re getting new players hooked into a collection by giving them periodic random freebies.
  2. Players feel better about spending money when they know what they’re getting.

Psychology is a huge factor here.

2 Likes

There is one minor issue here with your argument here, specifically pertaining to blizzard.
The “paid loot box” is not the only avenue to obtain content.
There are several avenues including the free loot box that comes from basic game play as well as the shards system which you are ignoring.

I will agree that the implementation of loot boxes in other games has been fairly egregious from time to time , especially in the mobile market…But in this particular instance it’s really not anywhere near as bad.

Also the loot boxes as gambling argument is silly.
You’re paying for random stuff.
By the same logic then those old quarter machines are gambling you throw in a quarter and get a random prize if you don’t get the one you want throw in another if you get a duplicate then throw in another.
Blind bags same premise spend money on something random and try to collect them all!
Random card packs? same thing only more expensive.
Arcades games with a jackpot prize? Gambling.
Carnival games? Rigged gambling…

All of these things have been forms of gambling for decades, the only reason people are throwing fits is because games rake in more money.
And are better at being predatory as hell.

Heyyyy, good job Blizz. I hope the change works out profit wise, good behavior should be rewarded.

Yeah, sure why not? I don’t remember them ever being that cheap though. In fact I remember ones that gave out trading cards for a buck a piece.

2 Likes

I think they removed them because it looks like they will be illegal or at least will be regulated since they are gambling and the government is looking at it.

What the heck is this thread?
So what if you can no longer purchase loot chests for gems, when you can purchase anything you want for gems?
Honestly said, crafting shards with gold seems a lot better than buying chests now.

That’s what I was trying to say. It’s not a primary source of revenue, just something they can keep going (as long as it’s in any way profitable) without having to grab for every penny possible.

With gems you can now finally buy any item you want, skins, mounts whatever. Hurray!

Belgium declared purchasing loot boxes illegal as they are a form of gambling.

I hope the rest of the world will follow their example.

4 Likes