HotS Gameplay/Balance is actually super healthy atm

You will change your mind should you ever reach master.

3 Likes

I agree mostly, but there are of course still some outliers both up and down.

The bigger problem – by amount, not necessarily urgency – currently is in my oppinion getting diversity to characters in form of different builds by making underperforming taltnts more attractive.

Balance is good generally right now, but occasionally some things come out of nowhere like that Cho’gall nerf.

About the Dev team: It probably depends on which kind of developers were moved. If things are as they said, and they need to put more people on a new project, they are probably people who design content like levels/characters, and the art/sound people to finish those designs. HotS doesn’t need new content at the same pace as before for right now. It needs fixing of existing systems, then an attempt to bring in more players (and not necessarily MOBA players, but maybe people who haven’t tried the genre yet).

5 Likes

I still think all range assassins and mages totally outperform and outdamage all the melee assassins.
And there should be diminishing returns for CC’s in this game.

1 Like

I was thinking about this for a while, and I generally agree. There is not really much counter to a skilled organized team using displacement and chained CC. Of course you need to be safe with your positioning, and there are a couple sources of cleanse/shielding, but if you look at meta heros it’s all about displacement and CC.

That being the most efficient way to win, means that other playstyles are less common, and new heroes have to fit a certain mold to be relevant. Probably not best for the long term health of the game, because it needs to be changing to keep people interested. Maybe there could be a brief window of immunity after a CC, and similar to the armor stacking change, only the longest CC would apply?

Mages with their range and AoE are really powerful, which is why I wasn’t upset with the high mobility dive characters when they came in. That being said some melee assassins don’t have the mobility to get in and out without dying… In general, I think as long as everything has a good counter the game is healthy.

The balance for this game is super healthy? That must be why the player base is growing, HGC is going strong, and the game isn’t in maintenance mode. Or maybe we are mixed up about something here? :thinking:

Balance isn’t perfect but it has never really been a huge problem with this game.

The only real major damning flaw with this game is it’s inability to correctly assess player skill and create fair matches.

2 Likes

Look at lol footage and convince yourself that this is a balanced game.

I think you misinterpreted my sarcasm. For the record, I think HoTS’s imbalance contributed to the situations I listed.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you commented on HoTS balance issues here.

That comment accurately acknowledges balance being an ongoing and unresolved issue that fundamentally changed the game in a negative way.

Why? Genuinely curious

I would agree that the “balance” in this game is pretty bad atm. Looking back when HGC was still a thing we had heros that just never even got used or looked at. Some of the trash heros, if they were lucky, had a mighty 2-3% pick rate in pro play.

Even for casual play we have heros that are just auto meme picks due to the fact they are either out classed by everyone in their own role or they were just completely over nerffed

Talking about over nerffed how about those unnamed heros, you know the ones, that have had less than 43% win rates for months on end.

Genji is a fun new meme example of how to over nerf a hero to death. It’s funny watching diamond level players struggle to even have a 50% win rate with that hero :joy:.

matchmaking in solo queue is pretty solid imo.

the problem is in quickmatch/team league where pros queue with noobs or ppl smurf and that messes everything up big time.

good matchmaking in a moba game is extremely difficult if not impossible because there are so many variables that determine how good a player someone is. i had one guy in plat 2 who got there by instalocking sylvanas every single game. i have no idea how he got away with it, i always try and pick what the team needs and if i just yolo instalocked valla every game i would have got totally destroyed in majority of my games xD

No it isn’t.

The only place where matchmaking even slightly works would be hero league because it forces EVERYONE to be solo, but solo queue for anything else TL included is horrible.

But, given that the game is pretty much hemorrhaging players right now Hero League queues have skyrocketed so the game tries to make up for it by loosening the restrictions on who can match together.

This means that you’ll get rainbow games in Hero League as well.

1 Like

This right here. All the heroes are viable in bronze-gold, but get to diamond-grandmaster and you will find only about 20% of the roster is viable most of the time.

Do we have stats for that?

1 Like

when i say solo queue, I am referring to hero league specifically.
every single match I played had me with players my division +/- 1

Different maps help. In general the balance was always good. There were very few heroes that were never played which was much better than most games on the market.

1 Like

I’m not talking about balance between heroes per say (although that isn’t too bad either at the moment with most heroes sitting between 45-55% win ratio).

I’m mainly talking about the balance between the different roles in the game, which is rly rly good compared to League atm.

Yeah, balance was never really a HUGE issue. It just seems like it because the MMR is so wildly inaccurate. There are still people on this F***ckin forum saying butcher is OP ffs.

They messed up MMR bad, which is really easy to do with shared XP and they never fixed it so certain heroes always seem OP to some players even when they aren’t really and vice versa. EX: Bronze 5 potatoes think butcher is OP because of the gold/plat player cheesing him in QM or unranked, but also there are people in bronze that don’t belong there… just as there are people in Master that probably don’t even deserve to be in Plat. It’s all just an MMR problem and has very, very little to do with actual balance. There have been problems from time to time… but the balance of this game isn’t why it’s dying.