Honestly, I like how Orphea plays

Looking at the spotlight, very similar to how kerrigan and mephisto plays, mobility and rewards given to spell like abilities and auto attacks for value.

The mobility is an interesting take, predictable, if you get hit then she gets a dash, it’s not just free movement, all the abilities have interesting windups and very positioning oriented.

Adding in the skill required to weave auto attacks along with managing cooldowns to maximize the healing and damage make her a very interesting hero to play with, I definitely like it.

People complaining about how we didn’t get one of these other hundred other heroes, get over it, if it was voljin people would complain about aduin not being added, if it was anduin people would complain about mei not being added, if it was mei people would complain about killjaden or deathwing or grom or WE GET IT, it’s not a lore pick sure, but people have been interested in nexus lore from the fenix expansion about how his skin was actually a primoridal magical entity made by the land to protect itself, it sparked a massive thread about it on the old forums, there’s a market.

I feel bad that the longer portion was a rant than looking at orphea’s playstyle.

I mean I don’t like her story all too much, girl has daddy issues, kinda cringe cinematic but I can definitely appreciate the interesting hero design.

4 Likes

Her trait is basically chromie’s bronze talons.

I have a feeling she will be popular though, like kaelthas (and I mean actually popular long after the hype has worn off, not popular in the first 2 weeks kind of popular)

Edit: But being popular just makes her more irritating because it means she will be often banned, so players won’t get to play her much (like kaelthas right now)

I like her too, for a few reasons.

1. She’s countered by Alarak.

2. She’s a combo mage, I like combo mages.

3. Anything that rewards me for hitting abilities with added benefits makes me happy.

4. Chomp.

Can’t comment on the balance from her talent list that i’ve seen. Looks powerful but ya know, words =/= actions.

4 Likes

Chromie + Tracer = Orphea

You will never un-see this.

1 Like

but did you play her?

If you play heroes enough, you can recognize similar kits and playstyles.

It shouldn’t be hard to understand how she’s going to work, you hit people with Q, get your movespeed, chomp, hit with Q again, duck out, within the 2 second timeframe. It’s very similar to kerrigans dive style and similars mephistos replenishing rewards for landing hits with spells.

Well fenix doesn’t have the raw damage of other assassins and relies on the shield to trade, also 1 warp on 16 seconds isn’t what I’d call “hyper mobile”.

But every 2 seconds she can dash as long as she hits someone with her Q, that’s a pretty fair way of going about it.

I’m mixed on her.

One of the huge advantage of having an OC is that they can make the kit however they like, and no one’s bothered. I mean, you can’t make Artanis into a ranged mage, and there are still people who are miffed that Garrosh is a tank instead of a bruiser. For established characters, the kit has to fit the character, but with an OC, you can make the kit however you want, with any role you want, and no one will bat an eye.

My only peeve with her is I feel like she has more effects than she should, if that makes any sense. She has an attack that’s also a dash, and a forward-moving wave that also has a circular AoE element. On top of that, her trait is both a damage growing component plus a heal. It’s like they wanted a lot of different moves on her, and couldn’t decide what to cut, so they tied them to each other to fit them all - perhaps that’s not inherently a bad thing, but I admit being a bit skeptical.

Although I really dig the floating thing, and how she tends to face her targets. That is cool design.

1 Like

I definitely agree with that, although garrosh feels a lot more brusierish than all the other tanks.

I’d imagine that’s kind of how tassadar would play out, since he learned much from the darktemplar, combining the two styles of combat being auto attacks and using mage style abilties.

Sad to say that’s not the tassadar we got but ya know.

I’d say she’s a mobile combo style mage, with how close she’s recommended to be for her W which is definitely her primary damage it’s understandable she has trade, healing and sustain mechanics along with a potent conditional dash.

I mean she doesn’t come with drawbacks either, she’s still suseptable to the traditional poke style, if she can’t get that first Q off on someone, she can’t dash and start comboing. The Q I imagine would also be easy to sidestep as it’s a .5 cast time like KTZs death and decay.

The only thing that really bothers me is that I can’t gauge the numbers since her level 1 talents all increase her damage, when you look at her spell numbers and costs and CDs you’d think she’s underpowered because she doesn’t even do KTs Q + W damage, but the talents make it hard to tell.

She looks amazing. Lorewise, kitwise and gameplay wise.

I can’t wait for her to be released on November 13.

I’m also extremely excited about tomorrow’s hero announcement

I really like this. Make stuff like mobility a reward instead of a given. Adds depth and makes gameplay more interesting.

On one hand, you sort of have a point. On the other, a very small minority was actively hoping for orphea(note that this is not the same as “happy/content” with her.). Nexus lore is pretty minor, so let’s not pretend it’s on the same level, including interest-wise, as any of the other franchises, especially the non-OW ones.

But yeah, from another thread

Brace yourselves.

Orphea meta is coming.

She looks really good. Special attention of detail went into her floating / strafing animation and how she keeps looking at the nearest hero she’s attacking.

Original releases take way more effort than an existing character. It’s basically starting from scratch, whereas for the other ports you just think of their existing visuals / abilities and how to adapt them.

Her mobility is nothing like Tracer’s or Genji’s overblown mobility, that is the important factor. It is more like Li-Mings plus the condition to hit heroes with Q to dash.

1 Like

We kinda already had that with tyrael.

I doubt that, she doesn’t seem like the kinda hero you shape a meta around. Fenix was because he was so flexible as CC, AoE, good mercer, good solo laner, trader and ranged AA.

Orphea looks like she lacks mercing ability.