Captain's Prerogative--Mandatory Roles

So we know the captain gets to ban three heroes. To be honest, I don’t care about banning heroes, because my team has basically a 50-50 chance of picking an OP hero. I DO care about making sensible comps, such as having a tank and a bruiser instead of a bunch of squishy assassin heroes that teammates are so desperate to pick even though they suck with them.

What do you think about an option to forego bans in favor of selecting–before the draft starts–the roles that MUST be picked at some point by a teammate so that teammates cannot make horrible drafts and make you waste 20 minutes of game time? You’d pick from a list of standard drafts so you couldn’t make your teammates play like 3 healers or 3 tanks or something, but you could make them play a normal draft instead of a stupid one.

ehh. being the banner is supposed to be about disrupting the enemy team’s draft, not being the dictator of your own team’s

personally, i think the players (ALL of the players) having full control over comp and being able to choose something weird if it fits the situation is a big plus. you don’t really know what kind of match you’re going to have until the draft is done, and that adaptability keeps things fresh and fun imo

As a game, it must allow the players the maximum freedom and flexibility.
As players, they have the responsibility to communicate and cooperate with their teammates.

The problem with terrible team comps in draft is the players. It has nothing to do with the game design. Just let the players sort it out themselves.

If you think bans are useless, you’re completly missing a key piece of how this game works.

The bans are core part of the strategy of a match, since they’re herw to disrupt the enemy strategy by removing certain Heroes that could be a killer for your own setup or allow powerfull combo for their.

What would this actually solve? It supposed to be some kind of safety check against trollish or amateurish players right? To prevent people just zoning on their “I wanna do damage” or whatever.

Well forcing them to pick a certain role won’t do that. Sure it will force them to pick a bruiser. That doesn’t mean they’ll play the bruiser role effectively at all. If they are the kind of player who just wants to DPS, they’ll just play their bruiser like that instead. If they have no experience with bruises (hence their assassin spam) they may pick a hero they are totally unfamiliar with and thus perform poorly.

Essentially the situation is players who pick the draft based upon roles and what their team lacks will do so without being forced, within the realms of their own comfort and so your measure would be redundant for them. So if you opted to pick a “draft template” in favour of bans, and your team were already competent at draft, you have just removed the ability to ban for no good reason.

For the others it would not resolve issues of draft without potentially replacing them with other issues (assuming the player is a niche picker or a plain troll). So it wouldn’t achieve the purpose.

I think people sometimes forget that whilst draft is important it isn’t the god given rule. Having a “good draft” in terms of roles and balance means nothing if people don’t know how to play the role / hero. Therefore there is no way to “fix” the issues associated with people who can’t draft with versatility outside of them actually learning how to do so. It’s like taking someone off their motorbike and putting them in a car because you feel a car is better for this journey, whilst assuming doing so makes them a competent car driver. If they were, they’d probably pick a car without being forced.

This is without even considering that having another player dictate your choices in such a fashion doesn’t feel good. Banning a singular hero is a small measure of control compared to stipulating what kind of roles you can and can’t play. In some cases this would reduce your hero pool to 4-5 heroes, assuming you even have those heroes.

2 Likes

Plenty of people in HotS will throw the match or go AFK even if all meta roles are filled just because someone picked a tank or healer they don’t personally like for god knows what reason.

The community at large is too immature for captains mode in Ranked, except maybe in Master or Grand Master league.

First, bans are very important even if you don’t realise it.

Second, who decides what roles should be in the team, the captain? Because I saw ppl winning at high lvl without a Healer and won without a Tank myself as well.

What about Double Tank or Double Healer comps? Those are good as well.
And what about the Melee Assa and Support roles? Ppl rarely draft those but it can be pretty important.

Ppl have the Favoured Role and Draft Chat functions for the problem you brought up.
If that’s not enough, nothing will be.
You can’t and shan’t control others.