Budget Cuts? Or

Or why is it taking way longer in between hero releases? I used to get so pumped about having consistent hero releases in the game. Kept things fresh and fun.

How about new maps? Been a while since the last map addition.

We used to get hero cinematics for HotS AND the Kevin announcement / explaination. Now it’s just Kevin.

1 Like

They moved developers from the heroes team to other projects.

2 Likes

*Diablo Immortal

3 Likes

That’s being developed primarily by NetEase in China. Blizzard themselves allegedly have the most unannounced projects in development right now. Except the Starcraft fps game because Diablo 4 and I guess “Overwatch 2” are more important than reviving a long ignored franchise.

I am sure they moved to MW, not immortal.

No. Other projects is the correct place they were moved to. Blizzard has anywhere from 3 to 5 undisclosed projects at the moment, with one of them recently being cancelled before anything was ever announced about it.

Just look at their job openings web page. Many positions are listed for “unannounced project”. And no these are not related to Diablo Immortal or Diablo, as the job listings for both those games are known as “Diablo”.

Additionally Diablo Immortal is just 1 known project of the Diablo team. It is very well possible that the team is also working on at least 1 other unannounced project such as Diablo IV.

Yes it is due to budget cuts. More specifically staffing cuts. They no longer have the man power to churn out and rework heroes at the same rate they used to be able to. Fortunately they do have a back log of almost ready to release heroes, such as Anduin, but they are spreading them out sparingly to get the most mileage from them.

The staff was moved within Blizzard so this is clearly not the case. Modern Warfare is made by Activision. Yes both are technically owned by Activision Blizzard but they do still operate largely separately from each other, although with Activision Blizzard issuing general business plan to both.

2 Likes

It was a joke about this bad project :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I know this will controversial, but Diablo Immortal cannot really be considered a bad project. Most of the hate aimed at it was because the announcement was not Diablo IV for PC and consoles. If they would have announced both Diablo IV for PC and consoles and Diablo Immortal for mobile at the same time I am pretty sure the crowd would have been ecstatic and claimed it was the best announcement ever and Diablo Immortal would just be a footnote that few people mention. However since they only announced Diablo Immortal for mobile people stupidly jumped to the conclusion that there is no Diablo IV or any PC and console Diablo games ever coming and so hated it.

Seeing how Diablo III even recently received a port for Nintendo Switch, Blizzard would be very stupid to not make another Diablo game for PC and console. As such I suspect there is a Diablo IV in works, just it is not progressed enough for an announcement. After all they likely do not want a repeat of Diablo III where from the time they announced it to release the game mechanics were completely changed to the point that much of what they said during the announcement was not valid for the final game.

2 Likes

that was a joke too :disappointed:

1 Like

Greed… That is all.

I don’t mind less heroes provided they keep doing consistent balance changes and events.
the pacing for events seems off but I liked the Christmas one because it was never ending

Have you been sleeping under a rock!?

4 Likes

It actualy went even further because phone oriented games are 99% of the time microtransaction spamming games, where paying speeds up the process of a boring endless grind.

So yes, its a bad project because phone games are usualy bad anyway. It doesnt benefit gamers at all that this game is being developed. Its a plain cash grab.

Looking at how destiny 2 initialy was released. i dont think they care. The initial release will still be horrible and require DLC to make it acceptable. And it probably never will reach a state of becoming a good game.

3 Likes

Well destiny 2 was being developed by bungee so the release state of that game has nothing to do with blizzard developers. They’ve got enough of their own lackluster launches to compare to without looking at other companies.

Yes it can. Mobile games are plagued with f2p BS and the controls will be awful as a result of the platform. Touch screens are for puzzles not action and lugging around a controller with your phone is dumb.

2 Likes

Publishers still very often have a big influence to the developers because they often pay a lot to get the game developed. And this means they also very often want the game to be released as fast as possible so issues can be solved later on. If the game is a failure, they simply just drop the support early. If its a success, they keep developing for it.