Artanis or Imperius for HL?

I don’t play enough Imperius to make a judgement on him, so for those who have played Artanis and Imperius a lot…please enlighten me on this.

So for a coordinated team game, which hero is a better choice in general? I know that on the certain maps that Artanis will shine brightly, but what I want to know is which hero can offer and contribute more in a proper composition and team play in most situations and maps.

and for a solo random clown fiesta QM with zero communication, which hero is generally favorable?

Both are strong, but I would say that Imperius has more of an impact, in that his CC is much easier for a team to follow up on, so if I had to choose only one, it would be Imperius.

With that said, at higher ranks, he will often be banned, so having a second choice available is necessary.

2 Likes

Hi, Lvl 29 Imperius, lvl 20 Artanis. I hope I’m qualified.

Short answer cuz I know you love them:
Play Imperius.

A bit longer if you are interested:
If you want to spam a Hero, choose Imperius, he’s safer and can worth the first pick (partially thanks to his lvl 1 Burn the Impure being too strong rn).

Even more details (warning, only read it if you want to make decisions on your own in consideration of teamcomps):
Imperius is the stronger lane bully, but Artanis is better at PvE.
Artanis has a strong blind or mage/healer harasser as his Heroics while Imperius basically has zero utility.
Artanis can more easily displace enemy Heroes and has an easier job to stay alive in the middle of the fight thanks to his shields, while Imperius’ displace (his Heroic) has bigger solo impact.
Imperius with Shield ult at lvl 20 can take pressure off from the Healer’s shoulders and Imperius is more easily followed up.

I also think Imperius is somewhat harder to use.

I have neither level 15 or even a rank in ranked, but i do have to say Imperius is better. :angel:

1 Like

I would say imperius.

1 Like

Artanis is better on battlefield of eternity and vs teams with 2 or more Auto attack damage heroes. After that I feel that Imperius is better in other circumstances.

1 Like

Despite all the (cool) changes, Artanis remains single target PvE pick to me. Someone capable of godswaps is a lottery.

1 Like

Hey now, godswaps are the main reason to play Artanis!

Thats exactly what many Artanis players think. Apparently. Unfortunately.

Too true. Apparently the whole concept of “Do I want to end up there?” eludes many.

1 Like

Despise his swap, Artanis does not play the same role as Imperius. Artanis is really only useful right now for the blinds or for doing single target PvE damage. Otherwise, he is a nice to have bruisers but with not much utility. Has slightly more AoE damage than the other bruisers. So basically

Artanis = damage.

Imperius on the other hand has much better and much safer CC. Basically, you get that guy if you want to CC the enemy team, and relay on team doing the damage. He can work as solo tank in some circumstances, and has nice sustain for the solo lane.

So Imperius = CC+ off tank.

I’d say Imperius is a better choice, unless you really need the blind.

1 Like

Really it depends on what you mean by proper composition.
Team composition depends entirely on the map, what’s been banned already and what’s already been picked. Both are really similiar for being all-in bruisers that are strong duelists but differ in a few areas. Also if you’re playing with randoms it can be difficult to tell how well everyone is going to mesh together.

Artanis has very strong chase capabilities and depending on talent choices can even be good against mages, tanks and deals some fairly noticeable siege damage. He’s a great solo laner and swap can be great for securing kills. He’s an incredible hero for BoE and other boss objective maps since he dishes out tremendous objective damage and his blind ult gets a lot of mileage against whatever the enemy is bound to pick, so he’s often banned or first picked.

Imperius is really a flex pick depending on how comfortable you are playing him, he walks a fine line between bruiser and full on tank. He’s also a strong duelist but his strengths are really dependent on some factors. While he offers a lot more cc than Artanis his damage really relies on stacking his abilities and burn the impure. Missing his abilities or getting interrupted can really hurt him. You need a lot of followup from your team if you want to comfortably engage with him before you get his ultimate, since either of those talents are really key for keeping him alive if an engagement goes wrong and they let you be more aggressive.

Imperius really needs a few talent choices and trying to poke or lane with him is going to drain his mana fast. Artanis’s lane clear might not be amazing but it’s serviceable enough against the majority of solo laners and his passive lets him be aggressive during the early game.

In short:
CC - Imperius | DPS - Artanis
If you think your team is going to follow up on your stuns Imperius is an alright choice. If you want to operate mostly on your own then play Artanis.

1 Like