Any subtleties to playing The Butcher?

Hmmmmm…

The only subtlety I can think of playing Butcher is to be hungry first.

Ooo that’s a good one!

1 Like

Is that Butchers brother you are talking about :smiley:

2 Likes

The real question would be: Is Butcher’s brother vegan or meateater? :joy: Butcher can be both…

Yes: don’t potatoefirstpick it in Ranked. Well, DON’T potatoepick it in ranked, period…

Some comments are convincing you to be a vegan

2 Likes

TIL Butcher’s brother is Nutcher a literal squirrel that isn’t meaty enough to hunt for FRESH MEAT so to get the protein required he jumps from tree to tree shouting FRESH NUTS developing massive front teeth in the process.

2 Likes

I don’t play Butcher much so I’m a bit confused here.

The talent only gives movement speed when you’re facing your branded target, right? How does it help when escaping…?

Is it possible to moonwalk with Butcher?

3 Likes

The question is finally answered, his brother is vegan. Finally we know why some The Butchers are vegan, because they are influenced by his brother The Nutcher. :joy: Blizzard give us a skin that could fit into The Nutcher.

2 Likes

I love the butcher but I play him a lot more passively and only charge to follow up CC or get kills (I don’t use it to engage)

No you can’t moonwalk (that would be cool)

But it helps mostly by targetting an enemy opposite tho whoever is chasing you, or a minion. It also helps when someone tries to body block you. It’s not a huge speed buff, but Butcher needs eveything he can get.

Brand has basically a melee range, so it’s putting it on someone who is literally in front of you. That enemy then has to keep walking ahead of you for this to help in escaping.

And it doesn’t help much against bodyblockers either, as you aren’t “facing” the enemy when trying to move around him.

This is just… you have no idea how this talent works do you?

Using it on a minion on the path that you’re escaping on? Makes no sense as you’d only be able to get maybe 0.3 seconds of movement speed before you pass over it as brand has about the same range as his auto attacks.

1 Like

Such a nice reply. I’m going to keep discussing this.

It’s okay to admit you were wrong and saying stuff that isn’t true.

2 Likes

I said it’s not a great buff. But I still think it helps against body block.

It’s ok to disagree and be civil.

It barely does anything against bodyblocking. Go into try mode and test it. i just did. While trying to walk around an AI Anub’arak, it pretty much never gives movement speed, as when you are in the movement of moving around him, you are not facing him, therefore no movement speed.

I don’t just disagree with you, I am pointing out that you are just straight up wrong about your so-called advice regarding this talent.

I am questioning whether you even play Butcher. I bet you have like a total of 10-20 matches on him.

Someone asks for advice and tips on Butcher and you come and spread misinformation about the talent that could very well end up hurting someone more than helping him.

Your first post is very much basically saying “You can put it on a person chasing you and it will give you movement speed to run away” → Very wrong

Then you try to salvage the situation and say "You can put it on an enemy hero or minion ahead of you, on the path of your escape, and gain movement speed. → Extremely exaggerated and useless as Brand is basically melee range. What use is using Butcher’s Brand for a 0.3 sec movement speed bonus?

I would love to see a situation in which an escaping Butcher put a brand on a minion he was running through and that tiny movement speed bonus was what made the difference between getting away or dying.

I don’t see a reason to be “civil” to someone spreading misinformation who can’t admit that he’s wrong.

2 Likes

If you want to justify it to yourself that way, it’s your choice.
Have a nice day.

Good bye.

1 Like

And if you want to justify that it’s okay to spread misinformation and not admit when you’re wrong, it’s your choice, too.

Have a nice day.

Good bye.

You guys chill.

The W talent you’re arguing over used to be called “Crave Meat” some years ago, and was at level 13. At that point, it gave you an unconditional 30% movement speed when you have an active brand on someone. You could use it on someone next to you, and even if you weren’t facing or hitting them you could run in any direction with 30% movement speed, including as an escape.

At some point, “Crave Meat” was moved from level 13 to level 7, renamed to “Insatiable Blade” and nerfed such that it only gives you 25% movement speed if you remained facing the enemy, so it pretty much only benefits you if you’re chasing a fleeing enemy. It was probably Blizzard’s intention to keep Butcher’s design as an all-in hero with pretty much no reliable escape. I won’t be surprised if they remove or change Butcher’s Bolt of the Storm at level 20 in the future to make him even more all-in.

Back on topic, if you’re looking to play a safe hero with an escape, do not pick Butcher. If you’re a strategist who likes to carefully pick and plan your moment to do something and 100% commit when you do, then Butcher may be just right for you. Timing your charge is key to winning, especially if the enemy team is saving their cc abilities specifically for you and refuses to use them on anyone else first. The best Butchers will be able to read their enemies’ behaviour like an open book and charge right before an enemy hero throws out a cc ability, which will cause Butcher’s E unstoppable to go right through it. If a Butcher charges a Kael’thas too early, for example, he can get stunned by gravity lapse right as his charge ends and immediately focused by everyone nearby. On the other hand, if the Butcher baits out the gravity lapse from range and does a perfectly timed charge to go through the tornado, the Kael’thas is most likely screwed.

In that sense, Butcher actually has a much higher skill cap than one might think, because even though Butcher is commonly (and rightfully) said to be very vulnerable to cc, if a Butcher is the best of the best and times everything correctly, they can counter said forms of cc. Relentless Assault, if used perfectly, becomes a self cleanse, which is pretty OP if used reliably on a melee assassin.

8 Likes