Any semblance of MMR in QM?

Just had a game with a guy that literally had 2 games of HOTS played, 2, on both my team and the enemies team we were more around level 800 minimum with one or two around the 1200 mark.

My MMR is diamond/masters (according to HOTSlogs I know that isn’t gospel or anything but it is a rough guestimate) and while I am by far no gosu at this game, I am not some noob that just doesn’t understand the basic premise of HOTS, I have almost 4K games for god’s sake.

But this guy on my team was not a smurf, he was a legitimate brand brand new player. Feeding, not doing anything correctly, literally clueless due to no real fault of his own, the guy was just a bottom of the barrel bronzie.

My question is, why in the name of God was this guy in our game? All he did was rage, apologize, and be upset, while all the other people on my team were raging and upset due to the crippling disadvantage of having someone on the team that is in essence worse then a bot.

No wonder this game died professionally and more or less casually, ranked play still takes 10 + minutes to get in per game because nobody wants to deal with this games crap or being forced into unwinnable situations. I’m not leaving this game, but I’m done playing this nonsense solo, if my friends aren’t on, I’m going to another game, HOTS and the way it conducts it’s match making/placing is just plain and simple awful when it started, and years and years later it’s still just abysmal.

I digress that unranked draft does result in much higher quality games but still, the most popular mode of play is QM, and ironically it produces worse quality games by an absolute long shot.

That guy is probably going to uninstall and denounce this game as a garbage pile, and you know what? He’s really not entirely wrong, nor would I blame him a single bit.

1 Like

Queue a random mode — get random results. Working as intended.

Matchmaking in QM does not match you with and against players of similar skill - it matches you with and against any players available. In the end, both teams should have the same MMR average. Obviously the MMR of a new player isn’t accurate at all.
QM is just the most popular mode because everyone starts with QM and not everyone moves on to drafts.

1 Like

This is why i would prefer to match by specific hero level of the hero chosen for QM with MMR being the secondary consideration. Nothing worse than getting a player that only played 2 games with a hero and dies 17 times…

Sure there is, like you could be playing with a troll that tries to antagonize the whole team while dead, which will be often thanks to the purposely slow feeds so the enemy gets ahead, and stays ahead, but just enough that it still takes a full game worth of time before you can move on.

At least the noob you have a chance to educate and therefore improve the community. The troll gets a swimming pool full enough of reports to swan dive safely of a 30ft board and… I guess something happens.

I’ll take the noob (however trying) all day everyday over the sabotage of a troll.

1 Like

So something like that happened to me today in the morning.

It was me (Gold/ Player Level 1090 *highest) and 3 Bronze (5-3) and the other dude was a lvl 23 so no placement.

Against two Masters (75#), 2 Diamond 1s and a Plat 1.

Oh oh, two days ago I had two dudes who literally just installed the game and were playing for the very time together in QM in my team. The other team was no a premade, but were all above Plat 3.

I think they quit the game already.

How the HotS team even thinks that matching a person who just installed the game against people who are masters is a great idea is BEYOND me.

What kind of pure idiotic nonsense is this R O F L.

MMR isn’t supposed to be random, the comps are. If you can honestly think this is justifiable, it’s no wonder the devs have left QM to systematically rot.

1 Like

Perhaps Blizzard is relaxing new player protection with extended search since it could not find enough new players to field teams? I wonder if the new players had waited in MM for a long time or not. That is just speculation on my part since i hear about very high wait times for new players recently do to player protection and not having enough players in that pool.

I am in the same boat as you, and I notice the same thing all the time. QM doesn’t seem to match all players at the same level, rather it just ensures the avg MMR of both teams is close (as Creeper said).

I occasionally will have games with 3-4 silver/bronze range allies and myself (dia/master), and the enemy team has close to the same.

I have however noticed way more low level accounts than ever before, so maybe they changed something. Before I would never see an account below 200 in any of my QM games. But lately I’ve been seeing accounts below 50.

There is a rather large variance of MMR in QM compared to other modes despite having a larger player pool to pick from (Because more people play QM than any other mode).

However, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t try to match you with players of similar MMR. It just may not seem like it at times because of how wide the gap is.

Yeah…you are right…QM mode also must be created with fair MMR similar game skilled players.

I think about to day how can be this new MM for QM…
Even i did suggest 2 months ago time new type QM mode here in this my topic…

Search in my topic about this new QM mode.
And players will be marched based and of this idea for these " Survive lvls".(again search and read it , or based of his death ratio)
But with different new type version 5 Unraked games and 20 QM games strict new way mechanic wich would circle non stop( 5 played unranked games, 20 QM played games , again repeat same circle).
Almost same version witch i did suggest for Ranked.
If read carefuly about these( even read whole this topic) my new type " Survive lvls" and all suggestion ideas and where i explain why will work better.
Then you would understand what are my ideas or what is this my new game version.

I just played a game with a level 6 account. This player had a 33% win rate and refused to participate with the team and spent the whole game dancing around a mercenary camp. My account level is 1400.

Something definitely changed with the QM matchmaking. They must have removed the new player protection altogether.