3840x1080 Resolution support WTF already

Hello I have a 49inch curved Samsung gaming monitor that is 3840x1080 resolution. I also have a just about top of the line gaming computer. For 3-4 months I could use Geforce Experience to optimize the game and achieve 3840x1080 resolution before launching the game and it worked perfectly. Its been about a month and a half now since i’ve been able to detect Heroes of the Storm through Geforce and optimize and play at the correct resolution. I am someone who purchases Stim packs every month and in game chests as well. Since Blizzard is not supporting this resolution and Geforce hasn’t come out with an update that allows it to detect HOTS to optimize I haven’t played once in the last 50 days. Blizzard needs to allow me to adjust the resolution to 3840x1080 in game even if they have to give a disclaimer that it might crash and result in undesired results. It’s completely stupid that I can’t play my favorite PC game and spend money because Blizzard wont put an option in the game to turn to a resolution that my monitor and PC more than support! Please fix this ASAP as there are many other players out there who are not playing and spending money when we want too! And within the next 12-24 months there will be a lot more people playing on large screen monitors as they become more affordable.

2 Likes

Unlikely… ultra wide does not really offer much as far as gaming experience or performance goes. It is more aimed at professional use cases where one wants more display area without the discontinuities or massive size introduced by multiple display setups. It is also useful for watching cinema content which targets a wider than 16:9 ratio.

In my experience GeForce experience is bloatware. Practically everything it does to “optimize” settings can be done manually without it installed, after all what it basically does is modify the game settings file in documents folder.

To get 3840x1080 try the following.

1. In the NVidia drivers (not GeForce Experience) advanced settings make sure that a 60 Hz or better display mode is exposed at 3840x1080 resolution. If not then make sure your cabling is sufficient or try manually adding one based on the display specifications.

2. Start Heroes of the Storm. In the game display settings make sure the game is set to fullscreen (not windowed). Windowed modes render at whatever resolution your desktop is set to, but are not recommended for gaming due to the added latency from the window/desktop composition system. Windowed modes are useful if you plan to alt tab a lot, or have a multiple display configuration that you want to be able to keep using.

3. If one could not select the resolution in the game settings, manually modify the game settings to use the resolution. The game settings are located at Documents\Heroes of the Storm\Variables.txt. The settings to change are height and width.

4. The game should now operate at the specified resolution. Note that due to the non-standard nature of ultra wide not everything in game may take advantage of it.

3 Likes

All of those settings were correct. Except I did manually modify the game settings in suggestion 3. However it still loaded at 2560x1080 resolution and modified my saved entry from 3840 width to 2560. So unfortunately still no fix to play HOTS at a good resolution. Just annoying cause it worked fined for months as long as I optimized through Geforce Experience before opening the game.

The game does not support Super Ultrawide 32:9 resolution. This was official stated here…

You might want to follow the suggestion advice so that such resolutions may be supported in future.

As stated previously, Super Ultrawide is an extremely unusual resolution as it is effectively 2 1080p displays side by side without discontinuity. Such resolutions are aimed at professional/creativity use where one might want the desktop area of 2 seamless displays next to each other. It certainly is not gaming orientated like 1080p or UltraWide HD is. To put it in perspective Steam survey throws Super Ultrawide in with Other, along with other unusual resolutions that few people have such as 8k.

I suggest playing at 2560x1080 UltraWide HD resolution. So that it looks good on your display, disable all scaling in the display pannel settings and NVidia graphic driver so that pillar boxing the left and right edges occurs to prevent ugly visual stretch. It should fill up ~2/3 of the display area in the middle of the display. You will still get a better visual experience than players like myself who play on a standard 16:9 1080p display.

In Windowed mode one might be able to use the other 1/3 of the display for other content while playing instead of wasting it with black pillar boxes. I cannot be sure as I lack the ability to test this.

3 Likes

I have the EXACT same configuration and the EXACT same problem. Playing in windowed mode is unacceptable. This is not a technical limitation. It used to work perfectly with Nvidia’s experience software. Blizzard decided to block this probably because it could be seen as an advantage for some. I guess I wont be playing HOTS any longer since as said there is little to no chance this kind of resolution is accepted since it’s not mainstream. Good thing there are plenty other mobas out there. Really looking forward to Ascendant One. Good luck with your Diablo mobile game. Hope China loves it. I’m done with you guys.

I do not understand peoples problem here… The game still should run perfectly on a 3840x1080 display, just at 2560x1080 with black pillar boxes on either side of the display (kind of like when watching a 4:3 broadcast on a 16:9 display). The game is perfectly playable at 1920x1080 (which I use), with 2560x1080 being better than that.

1 Like

Same monitor, same problem. Actually, I have 2 of those - one for me and one for my wife. And I know a few other people with this issue. Make it possible to use the damn screen! I have to play windowed and only use a fraction of my display. It’s ridiculous! This isn’t even hard to do! Make it possible!

Relevent

relevant 2 years ago :smiley: dem necroes they are getting bolder.

3 Likes

Showing off those curves :sunglasses: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

What is bloatware?..

Magicpants
DeadlyPants
SwankyPants
Direpants

1 Like

Here we go again.

Holy crap that’s huge! I’m playing on a 27 inch monitor and that seems pretty big to me.

:eggplant:

1 Like

good luck holding your breath on this one. if you are lucky you will see this… by the end of time. :laughing:

true story,
ppl have been asking for blizz to support wide screen monitors for more than the last like 8 years. im just remembering back when i played Diablo 3 and ppl were like…
"hey guys i got this cool 21:9 monitor! only diablo iii doesnt support it. :frowning: please devs help! " now, back then ppl were saying ‘psh that monitor is insanely expensive. no one is going to be playing on those’

which of course moved into the next game… Hearthstone!
~not supported

…and here
~not supported

…and over there… Overwatch
–still… not supported

tbh i once considered an ultra wide monitor. then i thought back at ‘not supported’.

Mine is bigger. I have a 60inch and it’s not even curved. Work very well.

So I had it happen on accident once that it fit my G9 perfectly on its own. I found that if I optimized the settings in Nvidia Gxperience before I opened the game each time it would set my resolution properly.

Have you tried enabling DSR?