Zephrys missing the simplest lethal

Opponent at 20 health with a board full of voidlords & malganis, me with more than 20 damage on board, zephrys does not offer mass dispel. Screenshots in the links below.

https://ibb.co/sHwRP4Q
https://ibb.co/BCDFyG0

I think he should offer shadow word ruin. Malganis 9 dmg void Lord 5 dmg

That’s not lethal since it also destroys my own board and leaves a board full of taunts for him behind.
With mass dispel my giants go through for 20+ damage and kill him.

Did u had 4 mana? He offer cards based on mana most of time

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/how-to-share-links-to-screenshots-videos-and-replays/2242/6

Thanks, edited the original post.

@ilman
Yes, I actually had 8 mana and got offered twisting nether, shadowflame, and shadow word:ruin.

Did you also make a screenshot where the board state is visible?

This definitely looks like something to be investigated, but in order to investigate it Blizzard does need to know what exactly was on the board. After all, that’s what drives Zephrys’ decision making.

Three 8/8 Giants, Zola, Archmage Vargoth already on board, played Zephrys.

It seems that the invulnerable state granted by Malganis confused Zephrys into seeing no lethal and offering only board clears. Clearly wrong, though.

a guess would be that zephrys sees the hero being invulnerable and since he cant read card text he wont know its because of malganis, so he instead offers a board clear

1 Like

It shouldn’t need to be able to read specific text anyway, though. If you have lethal on board and the opponent has no secrets mass dispel ALWAYS means lethal since it removes all taunts and board state effects and so it should ALWAYS be offered.

zephrys dont know that tho, he only knows that the hero is invulnerable. malganis should probably get a hard coded exception similar to doomsayer tho

[quote=“Kostool-2519, post:8, topic:34403”]
Three 8/8 Giants, Zola, Archmage Vargoth already on board, played Zephrys.

(…) Malganis[/quote]

And this is why I asked for a screenshot. (An hsreplay link is okay too, probably even better).
You describe the board state as you recall it, then in your next sentence mention a minion you had not included.

This is not me trying to be obnoxious. People are notoriously bad at exactly remembering all details. People make mistakes. Screenshots don’t.

Yes, you may be right that Malganis is the root cause here. But it’s hard to be sure. Some time age a Zephrys with lifesteal opponent minions was discovered. This should be fixed now, but perhaps there is one edge case where it isn’t? I can’t even tell whether there were any lifesteal minions on the board at all, and neither can Blizzard.

So IF you have more information available, please share.
If not, then Blizzard will have to investigate this with the information available, which will be harder.

Did I miss something? What is the inconsistency in my board state description? Anyway, I updated the original post with a “before Zephrys” pic as well.

The 3x giants etc. were his board. Mal’ganis was on the enemy board.

Yes, I know that now. I’ve seen the screenshot.

I had this happen today…he missed lethal the first time with mass dispel after I made it 4 mana (it offered me swipe as the next best, instead…against two 1/1 khartut’s and a 2/2 khartut. Luckily the opponent had psychic screamed zeph back into my deck and by the time I drew him again, he actually offered me the mass dispel lethal. Why he didn’t the first time, is beyond my understanding.

One of Zephrys biggest weaknesses is its inability to read card text. He doesn’t understand that killing a Khartut defender heals the enemy. So to him, it probably looked like Swipe and Mass Dispel would both give you lethal.
And since Zephrys tries to give three different options when possible, I guess he decided to pick just one of the two and use the other two slots for other purposes.

Of course, without a screenshot of your board at that time, this is pure speculation.