Why I believe DK was a mistake

Dear God, I think I just fell in love. :rofl:
Seriously though,
I could not possibly agree more.
BTW? My Brother in Law once actually made his company pay him for weekly overtime that they were shorting him out of with the shady ten day pay period.
'Course they found a reason to lay him off not long after.

1 Like

Look, I’m not advocating violence. I’m just saying that this is why the French invented the guillotine.

lol. I don’t see violence as the answer either.
Though, I do remember the story of the Bastille…

US media doesn’t help.

I remember going to Europe 20 years ago, the number 1 band from Spain to Russia was American, Aventura. I was listening to them by the Pantheon and the Louvre.

But they’re second generation Dominicans so they couldn’t get airplay in the US outside of stations that played Dominican music.

That’s lack of privilege.

No reciprocity, screw the US music industry (outside of Hispanic music). The US music industry lost me as a client.

Then I found out Africans listened and played our music. So the African music industry gained a client.

But I am a minority. I lot of people listen to music as a social connection tool rather than because the music is good.

2 Likes

Oh, you meant philosophical solipsism. The proper kind. I apologize, it’s been so long that I assumed you meant the crude slang version.

I meant within the United States, not outside of it.

I can tell you’re very eurocentric (e.g. your love of cringe Finnish YouTubers) but trust me, this makes sense to Americans and doesn’t seem hypocritical to us at all.

I’ve got no idea what the ‘crude slang version’ is supposed to mean, to be honest. :grinning: Of course, could look it up now, if I really need or want to, but just so you know…

I’ve also been called something akin to a Chinese communist on this forum, too, so I guess this all could build up a curious collection. :grinning:

That is not factually true, the ‘love’ part — just for the record, not like I’m passionate about this point. For example, I’ve made quite a few critical posts about this one, right off the bat: Are these events for cheaters only or what? - #11 by SparkyElf-2852, Mercenaries: Farming Tyrael coins - #6 by SparkyElf-2852, [Mercs] C'Thun task 5 not completed on Heroic - #3 by SparkyElf-2852 (these can be lengthy, so look for ‘guru’ or ‘content [creator/maker]’ regarding the subject) — maybe there were some more. However, in the interest of fairness, if there’s some guide or material that I find decent or useful, I see no reason to not acknowledge it.

Oh, by the way, ‘cringe’ is a verb, as far as I know, as is ‘woke’ (well, a participle, to be more precise). :grinning:

I’m aware, more or less. However, in my view, you people trying to pontificate about these issues (including racial, among others) or project your concepts on others looks like, say, a Hun, who’s just learnt how to use a bathhouse, lecturing those Romans about fine arts and civil society. From what I know, Genghis Khan understood more about things like tolerance (religious, for instance) than some others one could mention nowadays. Or take a look at this, for example, if the issue of African descendants is such a fetish for you, just so you know:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abram_Petrovich_Gannibal

I’m not even talking about those whose culture or civilisation has existed for thousands of years (yes, China would be appropriate to mention in this context).

Not like it’s something unheard of or extraordinary — all civilisations go throw certain stages during different periods of their existence (was it Spengler’s idea?), so it’s a historic inevitability, I guess, and the way things are — but just to make it clear where this stance that you noted comes from.

Um, no. You’re talking about music genres that don’t have mainstream market potential within the US. I don’t care about the ethnicity of my musicians, I truly don’t, but I just don’t dig bachata or reggaeton regardless of who’s performing it. Heck, I barely even know what reggaeton is. I think. I might be wrong. And I live in El Paso Texas. I think there’s a dedicated reggaeton radio station here.

I get that this can be difficult, but there are distinctions between culture, race and geography. Aventura may have been in the US geographically, and it doesn’t matter who they were racially, but they were not of the US culturally. (I am avoiding using the term “American” here.) Not to say that zero US residents listen to bachata, just that it’s not mainstream. So it’s not that Aventura lacked privilege, it’s that they weren’t positioned to appeal to mainstream US audiences.

Not a lot of poutine restaurants here either. Doesn’t mean that the US hates french Canadians.

Solipsism in the crude form is usually just a fancy synonym for selfishness, rather than a philosophical outlook. Usually in the adjective form of solipsistic, meaning selfish. It’s not far off, but it’s no longer academic.

Because progressive epistemology is basically just rebranded solipsism, which had such a bad reputation in the US in the early 20th century that its name was degraded into a pejorative, they don’t use “solipsism” at all to describe it now. Even though that’s exactly the epistemology they’re pushing.

That’s quite astute, considering that there are technically two Americas, and some of them in the South one might not understand.

Interesting (no English irony intended), thank you. I’m somewhat old-fashioned, I guess, and was referring to the classical concept from my philisophy courses back in the day… no matter how traumatic they might have been occasionally. :grinning:

By the way, one more thing, about my alleged eurocentrism. Just a few hundred years ago an Arab would find Europe a most barbaric place in terms of ethos, technology or even personal hygiene, and justly so — so I’d say it’s all rather relative, depending on a particular historical period, and there’s no cause to be supercilious about it all.

Latinos seem to be part of the US culturally during the draft for every war!

4 Likes

Blood death knight is the worst ofender
Doesn’t add anything good,new or interesting for the game
it looks they let a bad player designed: Lets just play removal and healing and give disruption… need to faceroll minion decks and have a chance to make a combo deck instalose

1 Like

Latinos make up less than 18% of Our modern military according to Defense Today.
And they are USA citizens just like all other Soldiers.
I’m not sure what point you are trying to make.

1 Like

That Latinos are apparently not part of the US culturally until they start issuing draft numbers.

Then we’re fully part of the US culture.

Go talk to all the jazz heads too. The majority of the popular bands of the big band era, both white and black, had Latino musicians.

When you need musicians for the music non Latinos created, we’re fully part of the US. But when we suddenly decide to play styles we came up with by ourselves, then we’re not part of the culture.

This is some “No true Scotsman” garbage.

1 Like

I don’t know if that is as true as you describe, but I do see your point.
Blacks have been treated the same way for just as long, as have Native Americans, and many other ethnic groups.
However; I don’t believe the problem is White/Black /Latino.
Instead? It is rich, and poor.
And it always has been.
Social and cultural issues are merely diversions that the Wealthy employ to keep us separate, as Our Unity would represent a clear and immediate threat to their minority rule over the majority.

1 Like

Blacks are not treated the same way (I am not saying they’re treated better, I am saying they are not treated the same way).

Let’s first start at Latinos are not a race, we come in the same diversity of colors as non Latinos in the US.

Latinos in the US get treated wildly different on the basis of their race, and how their race matches or fails to match the stereotypes propagated via the media (Latinos actors who are indistinguishable from White and Black Americans, for instance, usually get cast as White and Black respectively).

1 Like

The word that makes this sentence false is “wildly.”

Well at least that’s relatable on a personal level. (Edit: My mom is latina and my dad is scandinavian.)

I think it heavily depends on where you live in the US. Where I live, we absolutely love Latinos and the Latino culture. It’s celebrated.

If you’re specifically talking about the music genre not giving Latinos a major voice, this is true. But, this is largely due to the fact that Latinos generally create Latino music in Spanish and Americans generally don’t speak Spanish, except for Latinos. So, Latinos create Latino music for Latinos. When they start making music in English for Americans to understand, it’s widely accepted and we love it.

I don’t think this is the fault of Americans.

However, you can guarantee that Latino music, spoken in English, in the South, will not be accepted as well as it would be in the Southwest.

As far as military, having served myself, Latinos are extremely well represented. Lots of service members are Latino and we love them for it. They make great leaders.

2 Likes

As an immigrant in the UK, I must say I have always been puzzled by how ingrained racism is in the culture of the anglosphere. And I don’t mean racism as simply the discrimination of people on the basis of their ethnicity; but I mean it the the more subtle, pernicious way of conceptualizing people on the basis of their ethnic origin or the amount of melanin produced in their skin. I always found the way people discuss race here is, in itself, deeply racist. I get where it comes from tho, as the history of racism in these countries is what it is; but I always thought it is like a vicious, self-perpetuating cycle. It’s not like racism doesn’t exist where I come from, it absolutely does, but the way it is conceptualized here is on a whole different level.

I have never lived in the US, but I would bet money on the fact that black people from Haiti have quite a different “Latino” experience in the US than, for instance, white Guatemalans; and that this is not really because they speak French instead of Spanish.

1 Like

Back when I was married, for about two years the next door neighbor at our apartment complex was a Haitian guy. Me and him got along rather well but he hated her (because she claimed to be a good cook but wasn’t), so when my marriage started falling apart his place became the place I’d stay if we’d been fighting too much.

He was a truly gifted cook. I’m talking you take one bite and you know this man should own a restaurant. Absolutely magical. He had big dreams of being going out on his own. But he was struggling working at Applebee’s trying to save money. Then occasionally his derelict addict brother would come back and drain his resources and even though he could see it he’d just let him. But to a lesser extent I was doing the same thing. Point is, nice guy, maybe too nice.

If he could pass as Mexican, living as we do in El Paso, would he have his own restaurant? I don’t know. As much as I felt for him and his situation I feel like he’d have to cut his brother off for anything like that to work. At some point I realized to my horror that if it was me knowing what I knew and I was working for the bank, I might deny the loan. But on the other hand all kinds of people get loans and it really seemed like he never caught a break.

3 Likes

Did you know that the first person to conceive of Haitian independence was the white French governor?

He told the black general in charge of the army in the island, a man who had been a slave, and the general turned him in to the French. Then the French jailed the black general, and sent the Rochambeau’s son (remember Rochambeau from the US revolution) to genocide all black people.

People get told that the independence of Haiti is because of the slave revolt. That’s a lie. Slavery had already been abolished during the French Revolution.

1 Like