Why are many mages in gold using Flame Geyser on themselves?

I keep seeing in gold ranked standard that many mages start with a flame geyser to themselves instead of hitting the opponent with it, what is the strategy behind this or are these potentially bots?

1 Like

bots probably
i see wild rogues hit themselves in the face with damage spells too

either that or they just gave up on the match already and are helping you win

2 Likes

I do this sometimes if I’m losing badly and have no hope, especially if I’m trying to complete a quest like Spend 500 Mana or Use your hero power X times

The ones I’m facing all do it turn 1 and have the basic blizz-like names like “SepiaKodo” and stuff like that. They’re not like the bots I saw in silver and below with random characters for names playing the same aggressive face rush deck, but these mages keep specifically self-targeting turn 1 with Flame Geyser and it’s weird, they otherwise seem to play humanly, but I don’t see them concede at the end, and it seems like they use a similarish deck so it might be a bot.

They’re BM-ing you

No point in doing 2 dmg to face if they can’t finish you off without Sif, and with Sif they can easily do 40+ so 2 dmg doesn’t matter.

Although, they’re risking losing because of 2 dmg, but what else do we expect from gold players

It’s that common of a thing to bm in that way? they often lose by a much larger amount than that, but kind of silly. Lol. It’s so frequent I might say it’s happened nearly every time I’ve seen a mage with Flame Geyser in their deck in this bracket.

I don’t see it happen anymore, but then again, I don’t play in low ranks

When I did, however, I was one of those doing things like that xDDDDDD

Especially if a deck I’m playing against has a lot of healing, then i’m like, what’s the point in dealing 2 to face anyway they’re just gonna heal and I don’t wanna give them value to that heal xD

Ofc, it’s absolutely wrong to think like that, but it rarely costs you game

1 Like

Reminds me of an old bug those bots used to have, namely they’d shoot their own face face with an Elven Archer in Classic [1], [2]. Hadn’t seen that one for some time (when Classic still existed), so it looks like a regression in their botting software. :rofl: I think I might have observed the subject, too, though, and this was more or less my first thought.

1 Like