Something very embarrassing the Devs admitted on reddit

That person only sees bad things. It’s their whole persona.

Just scroll on by.

Yep.

When I was writing that post, I considered whether I should attribute it as a quote to “Bizarro World’s Ben Shapiro.” I decided not to because I was worried people might not get the DC Comics reference.

1 Like

And yet Yu Gi Oh makes rivers of money…
Is it too much to ask to have some middle ground???

1 game couldnt care less about what you feel and you are sometimes forced to watch your opponent cycle the whole deck and kill you on turn 2.

The other pampers to the players feelings so much they go to the extreme of nerfing tier 4 decks.
God forbid they throw a tantrum…

Profit is a weak argument given the other extreme makes even more money than Hearthstone.

Eh, yugioh has a ban list largely created by cards with bad player sentiments.

They have reworked their rules on special summonings with link/pendulum monsters based on it too.

It’s not like the game ignores player sentiment. And yeah, the full deck draw + otk things exist, but the game has interaction for it. The game kind of embraced the crazy power levels, and you can win or lose that game by a badly timed trap if your deck is doing that kind of strategy.

Why don’t we have a a ban list? I know some cards have been banned, but there isn’t a formal mechanism that I know of?

Dont give me that nonsense i can demolish my opponent on my 2nd turn using a deck as old as Dark Magician.

Everything is dialed up to 100 and to hell with your feelings you eat a loss from an empty board.

2 Likes

this game isn’t far behind. Wild Rogue has at least (i think) three decks that can win on turn 4 or sooner. two for sure.

I never argued you couldn’t do that. 2nd turn kills have been possible basically from the start in the game. They’ve gotten more consistent.

Yugioh has always been a game where the power level is dialed up to 100, it’s expected out of a game with no mana system to limit what you can do in a turn. It has been dialed up further over the years.

But it also has very powerful interaction effects that can just stop that kind of stuff in its tracks.

And they STILL use the banned/limited list in order to control decks that are warping the format too much.

Yugioh is at a different power level than Hearthstone and MTG, and it STILL uses player sentiment to make balance decisions.

Blizzard has banned cards in the past. Usually they don’t need to, because unlike a physical card game, it’s way easier to change what cards do in Hearthstone. If you errata (change the card text) a card in yugioh, no one knows unless they pay attention to online changes or see future printings. Picking up your old ring of destruction and finding out at a local tournament that the card no longer works the way that is written on the card isn’t the best experience, so it’s more likely to see a card banned.

1 Like

Usually they don’t want to ban would be a better way to say it.

Because while i agree that they really don’t need to.
Call a intentional card breaking nerf anything other than soft ban is being disohonest.

Basically their nerfs are so heavy handed that it would have been better to let it out in wild.

More middle grounded changes are a new thing and not the norm.

Shocking realy balance based on power…
Im talking about “feelings” changes and you know it.

And again a game like Yu Gi Oh cares nothing for them, for all its faults it couldnt care less what you think or me for that matter.
Its built on a totaly different philosophy, Hearystone is the polar opposite.

If anything im surprised theres isnt a caution warning when you start the game.

“Caution: Certain playstyles rooted in a different era might cause the player psychological damage.”

Devil May Cry 3 told me to my face i should pick a lower difficult setting, in short YOU SUCK.
You better belive i made sure never to see the screen again.

Now the poor little things are scared of the big bad tier 4 deck that OTKs on turn 8+ and papa Blizzard needs to come to the rescue…

1 Like

This is just false. The ban list has a bunch of cards in there just for player sentiment, awkward rules, and other reasons that don’t really involve power level, as evidenced by cards that recently came off the ban list, like yata garasu, that failed to make a splash upon their return.

My sense of YuGiOh, from the perspective of someone who’s never played it, is that every single card in the entire CCG worth playing, are on par with MTG’s “power 9” in that they’re just as rare, just as expensive, and just as banned in basically every single format that actually matters.

Except, unlike MTG, it’s EVERY card worth playing, and not just “here’s a black lotus combo into at turn 1 win for lulz.”

Could be wrong, I kinda hope I am tbh because it’s depressing to think about the ramifications of being right, here.

But in either case, HS isn’t anywhere near that so we’re all fine, I think.

Well, I haven’t seen turn 1. but I have seen turn three.

You really wanna go on the reason yata garasu was banned?

It is weak for nowadays but on it’s time was game ending locking you from even dare to have a card in your hand in first place.
They’re the equivalent of when blizzard tried to return baku and genn for the giggles.

So no. It wasn’t banned for “player sentiment”. Is just a card that got it’s ban on another era.

Yes, because chaos emperor dragon, envoy of the end existed at the same time, and could strip your entire hand and board, tutor the yata if sangan was on board, and instantly fully lock you.

That was the play.

That doesn’t work anymore, so yata is just a punish for having no cards left, and that’s not really ban worthy.

And will never be,Yu Gi Oh is the extreme on the other side of the coin of Hearthstone.

And this started over the misconception that player sentiment is crucial for profit gain and the reason for those changes.

Yu Gi Oh would have 0 players if that was the case, and yet it holds record profits.

Neither extreme is the ideal, but the rainbow barf approach of Hearthsone is not immune to criticism.

Everyone me included thinks Konami has lost their freaking minds with how things have become so out of control, but i will never champion hand holding as well.

Generally speaking I expect for-profit companies to care for profits as exclusively as they can reasonably afford to.

I can’t debate you on that as I have no knowledge and no inclination to seek that knowledge.

That word choice perplexes me, but I do agree when you say this:

I don’t understand the context here, either. What does Konami have to do with Hearthstone re: game balancing decisions vs profitability?

Its an allegory on Rainbows and Sunshine approach to try and keep the masses happy.
I used the word barf because it makes me do just that.

Theres discussion above that feeling based changes are justified because Blizzard would lose profit otherwise over people not supporting the product.

My counter claim was that makes no sense because Konami treats its player base like dirt enabling strategies that require 0 interaction with your opponent that work as soon as the first turn you take.
And yet they still bring in the record numbers in monetization.

So my ideal world would be 1 were i dont have to deal with a loss after 1 turn with 0 counter play but also with devs that wouldnt nerf tier 4 OTK decks because poor Timmy cant handle a loss from a borderline playable deck on turn 8.

So Konami owns the Yugioh IP? Or did Yugioh just enter the conversation organically at a later date?

I could read up above, but I’m also trying to play Hearthstone :slight_smile:

Konami owns Yu Gi Oh much like Blizzard owns Hearthstone and Wizards of the Coast own Magic.

1 Like