Ranked Star Bonus

Could someone explain how star bonus works?

I recently decided to get serious and climb the ladder a few months ago since it was the only game I could play with my limited time. I made it to Gold 1 and earned 7-8 star bonus (can’t remember which) in July. I ended on Plat 8 with one star this last season, and I was given a 6 star bonus. I thought it was based on your rank, but it appears I was wrong. If it’s a bug, I’d very much be interested in how I can get what stars I should have this season.

Thanks!

I too lack the understanding of what they are for and why we get them. how they are gotten and in what increments they are gotten in. I finished as Bronze 3 this time and got 2 stars. WHy? What do I use them for? DO they affect my xp gains or minimize the loss of rank in a loss? what are they?

Star Bonus is given to you so the climb to your last rank is a bit quicker. I understood since it started it was a specific amount per floor.

How does it do that tho?> I dont follow how it helps you get to your last rank quicker. Is it like a score modifier like in a pinball machine game?

Its a multiplier. Each win will give you x stars. Say you got to Silver 10. You would get 2 stars for each win until Bronze 5.

Your bonus is determined by your winrate and your final rank at the end of the month.

If ur winrate is high your bonus goes up even if u ended in a low rank.

U must be facing stronger opponents so your winrate is lower now, thus your bonus is lower even if u are in a higher rank.

Of course, there is a limit on how low the bonus can be based on your rank, the higher your rank is higher this limit will be.

Im not following how the math seems to work on it. Id prolly need a visual of how just 1 star operates like what it takes to earn just 1 and what just 1 will do. Then I might be able to follow what you saying with multiples. I dont math so good with multiplication. Never learned that table.

Safest assumption is a win is like 1 in 4 or 5 matches. Not a common thing lol.

I’ve been playing for years and have no clue how the star bonuses work.

… .I mean, I know they give you bonuses… duh…

What I don’t get is why, as you climb, they go down. And WHY, and WHEN?

Why am I only getting a 2 star bonus when I had 9?

Ah

Didn’t get a lot of playtime in last season despite climbing higher, so I’m guessing my performance was lower. I figured this might be the case. Thanks!

I don’t believe it has much to do with your win rate (unless you are high legend)…

At the end of the season you are given enough stars to reach 1 rank floor below the last one you achieved. Rank floors are achieved every 5 ranks.

Example: If you got gold 5 the last season you will be able to get enough stars to easily reach gold 10 before you have no stars left and have to level up normally.

Each rank floor (every 5 levels) you go up you lose one of those stars until you reach the rank floor just below the one you achieved last season.

They are there to help you get back to the rank you should be at quickly and minimize the grind.

Since you ended on plat 8 last season your last rank floor was plat 10. You should get enough stars to reach Gold 5 before your star bonus goes away on the new season.

Also worth noting that you get additional stars (x2) when on a win streak until you reach plat 5. So if you have a 5 star bonus and you go on a win streak you will get 10 stars worth of progression.

1 Like

There is helpful information on the Hearthstone wiki under the entry for Ranked, and there’s also a good post from the old community manager here on the forums FAQ: Ranked Mode Overhaul Matchmaking

1 Like

I just found it weird since I ended on G1 the previous season and received a x7 star bonus and only received a x6 star bonus after making it farther.

Either way, I’ll get back up there. I’m kind of half-in for pushing rank. It’s fun, but the current meta is just hard to deal with I only want to play a couple games.

Wrong.

Star bonus has two effects:

1.) When you have a star bonus you are matched with opponents based on your hidden MMR. This means at the beginning of the season, high legend players aren’t actually playing ACTUAL bronze level players, but players with MMRs closer to their own.

2.) Star bonus literally adds stars to your wins. So if you have a three star bonus, win one match, you get four stars for the win and advance that far on the ladder. The star bonus also counts in win streaks, so when I have a win streak with three star bonus, I get 4 stars (1 win + 3 bonus) times two, or 8 stars of movement in the ladder.

How do stars work?

They are based on your win rate and your final ranking. There is a minimum number of stars for each rank floor you pass, and up to D5 it increases by one star each floor.

You can earn more than the minimum if you win particularly high % of games. This is especially true for people who don’t make it out of their star bonus for one month but won most of their games (had a 7 star bonus, but win streaked back to six will get to keep your stars at 7 if you didn’t play much).

I just mostly used the star thing just for the new card backs. if i feel like i am ready to climb the legend rank, it will be in the future.