New Player Beginner decks to help bridge the gap (Part 1)

NOTE: If you just want full budget decks, then try checking these out:
https://www.metabomb.net/hearthstone/gameplay-guides/best-budget-ashes-of-outland-decks-cheap-deck-lists-for-the-casual-hearthstone-player

I’ve been working on some decks for new players. These decks are “more budget than budget”, I went with these guidelines:

• 2 copies of most commons,
  • 1 copy of rare except 2 copies for key rares,
  • 0 epics and legendaries.

Because you may not have 2 copies of every card for “budget decks”, these serve as an in-between between the Basic cards and expansion cards as you build up your collection. Should you craft commons or wait until you open up in packs? It can help to wait for the long term, but can also make it difficult to play a deck in the meantime.

Decks with the Basic + Classic cards fall very short in gameplay in 2020, but adding commons/rares from the current expansions - Outland/Descent/Uldum/RoS can go a long way. Discover and card/minion generation are your friends to help find the extra value you need to keep up in a match.

These decks can be upgraded right away if you happen to have 2 copies of a rare card, or an epic here and there. All these were able to win games at Diamond 5, and even if you lose, you’ll feel like you can keep up with some decks and learn as you keep playing.

Druid - Big Ramp
2x Breath of Dreams and 2x Overgrowth are key cards to “ramp up” your total mana and play big minions early. Emerald Explorer also extremely good for a common. This one was purposely unrefined and could definitely have some more 2 ofs in the deck.

Summary

F2P Druid - AoO

Class: Druid

Format: Standard

Year of the Phoenix

1x (1) Strength in Numbers

2x (2) Breath of Dreams

2x (2) Faerie Dragon

1x (2) Ironbark

1x (3) Bad Luck Albatross

2x (3) Bogbeam

1x (3) Candletaker

2x (4) Evasive Feywing

1x (4) Germination

2x (4) Overgrowth

2x (4) Swipe

2x (4) Twilight Drake

2x (5) Big Ol’ Whelp

2x (6) Emerald Explorer

1x (6) Evasive Wyrm

1x (6) Gyrocopter

1x (7) Evasive Drakonid

1x (8) Twin Tyrant

1x (9) Burly Shovelfist

1x (10) Living Monument

1x (10) Scrapyard Colossus

AAECAbSKAwygngOaoQOAqAOXrQOwrQPerwPusAP9sAOFsQPmugPsugPzuwMJQOEEjQj9rQOMrgPnsAP/sAPougPuugMA

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Hunter - Midrange
A Midrange Beast Hunter hasn’t been popular for quite a while, but this list I made felt good to play. Key cards which are priority for 2 copies are Scavenging Hyena, Unleash the Hounds. Other cards you can try 1/2 copies or put in some non-beasts if you don’t have other substitutes.

Summary

F2P Hunter - AoO

Class: Hunter

Year of the Phoenix

2x (1) Helboar

2x (1) Shimmerfly

2x (1) Timber Wolf

2x (1) Tracking

1x (2) Dire Wolf Alpha

1x (2) Explosive Trap

2x (2) Hench-Clan Hogsteed

1x (2) Phase Stalker

2x (2) Scavenging Hyena

2x (3) Animal Companion

2x (3) Bad Luck Albatross

2x (3) Desert Spear

1x (3) Diving Gryphon

2x (3) Kill Command

2x (3) Unleash the Hounds

1x (4) Burrowing Scorpid

2x (4) Houndmaster

1x (5) Tundra Rhino

AAECAR8GyQS7BdkHjq0D+68D2b4DDKgCtQPeBOsHlwjbCYEKnp0Dx50D5KQD/bADo7kDAA==

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Paladin - Budget Librams
This one needs more testing, a previous build didn’t go well, so I went for more dragons and big minions at the top-end of the deck like the Druid deck. Ashes of Outland has 3 Augmerchants you can try, and not just in Paladin. For Librams to work, you want the 2 copies of Aldor Attendant and Aldor Truthseeker.

Summary

F2P Libram Paladin

Class: Paladin

Year of the Phoenix

1x (1) Murmy

1x (1) Rocket Augmerchant

2x (2) Aldor Attendant

2x (2) Hand of A’dal

2x (2) Libram of Wisdom

2x (3) Bad Luck Albatross

2x (3) Bronze Explorer

2x (4) Consecration

2x (4) Truesilver Champion

2x (5) Aldor Truthseeker

2x (5) Big Ol’ Whelp

2x (5) Recurring Villain

1x (6) Gyrocopter

2x (6) Libram of Justice

1x (7) Evasive Drakonid

1x (8) Twin Tyrant

1x (9) Burly Shovelfist

2x (10) Scrapyard Colossus

AAECAaToAgagngPKqwOXrQOwrQPusAPfvgMM3APPBs+dA5CuA+ewA/2wA8q4A/24A+u5A+y5A/O7A8rBAwA=

Warrior - Pirate
I tried without a Southsea Captain and the deck narrowly lost to Priest through 37 attack of Arcanite Reapers, so I put one in. The card’s a epic so you could just try a 2nd Dread Corsair.

Summary

Budget Pirate

Class: Warrior

Year of the Phoenix

2x (1) Imprisoned Gan’arg

2x (1) Sky Raider

2x (1) Southsea Deckhand

1x (1) Upgrade!

2x (2) Battle Rage

2x (2) Bloodsail Raider

1x (2) Corsair Cache

2x (2) Cruel Taskmaster

2x (2) Parachute Brigand

1x (3) Bonechewer Raider

1x (3) Fiery War Axe

2x (3) Skybarge

1x (3) Southsea Captain

1x (4) Cult Master

1x (4) Dread Corsair

1x (4) Hoard Pillager

2x (4) Kor’kron Elite

2x (4) Restless Mummy

2x (5) Arcanite Reaper

AAECAYwWCJED/wOoBasG7gbosAPAuQOeuwMLHJ0CsAKQA9QF5wefoQPcrQPdrQPpsAO8uQMA

Mage - Dragon Bigspell
Mage has been difficult to say the least, to find a very budget deck. Many key cards that have good value in Mage are at least Epic.
I tried a tempo deck and it just ran out of steam. So, with more spell generation through Arcane Breath, Magic Trick, and big spells that can be cheated out with Kael’thas, this deck can hold up for much longer and swing the tide in your favour. It feels much more like you’re playing a powerful mage rather than trying to tempo out and blast damage to your opponent to finish them off. That is very difficult to do nowadays without also losing board very quickly.
If you happen to have a Power of Creation this would go right into the deck, otherwise 2nd Deep Freeze is fine. 1 Dragoncaster felt good, a 2nd one could be even better.
Alternatively, one could go down the Highlander “no duplicates” route, however Zephrys is needed to justify such a deckbuilding restriction.

Summary

F2P Mage

Class: Mage

Year of the Phoenix

1x (1) Arcane Breath

2x (1) Learn Draconic

1x (1) Magic Trick

2x (1) Ray of Frost

2x (1) Violet Spellwing

2x (2) Frostbolt

1x (2) Sorcerer’s Apprentice

1x (2) Starscryer

2x (3) Arcane Intellect

1x (3) Bad Luck Albatross

1x (3) Counterspell

1x (3) Flame Ward

2x (4) Fireball

2x (4) Twilight Drake

1x (5) Big Ol’ Whelp

1x (5) Cobalt Spellkin

1x (6) Blizzard

1x (6) Dragoncaster

1x (6) Kael’thas Sunstrider

1x (7) Evasive Drakonid

1x (7) Flamestrike

1x (8) Deep Freeze

1x (8) Twin Tyrant

AAECAc2xAhBxyQPmBOwH/50Dv6QD+qwDl60DsK0D8K8D57AD/bADgbED97gDrroD3sQDB7sCqwSWBY0In5sD+6wD8a8DAA==

Budget Thief Rogue

Summary

Budget Thief

Class: Rogue

Year of the Phoenix

2x (0) Backstab

2x (1) Dragon’s Hoard

2x (1) Pharaoh Cat

2x (1) Praise Galakrond!

2x (1) Spymistress

1x (2) Ambush

1x (2) Dirty Tricks

2x (2) Eviscerate

1x (2) Sap

2x (3) EVIL Miscreant

2x (3) Hooked Scimitar

2x (3) Questing Adventurer

2x (3) Seal Fate

1x (3) SI:7 Agent

2x (4) Devoted Maniac

1x (5) Faceless Corruptor

2x (5) Shield of Galakrond

1x (7) Galakrond, the Nightmare

AAECAYO6AgbNA90IgrEDzLkDzrkDy8ADDLQBlwaIB4+XA/+lA/WnA7euA7muA/6uA6qvA86vA7m4AwA=

Budget Galakrond Priest

Summary

Budget

Class: Priest

Year of the Phoenix

2x (1) Disciple of Galakrond

1x (1) Imprisoned Homunculus

2x (1) Renew

2x (2) Penance

1x (2) Sethekk Veilweaver

2x (2) Shadow Word: Death

2x (2) Thoughtsteal

2x (3) Apotheosis

2x (3) Breath of the Infinite

2x (3) Shadow Madness

2x (4) Devoted Maniac

2x (4) Holy Nova

2x (5) Convincing Infiltrator

2x (5) Sandhoof Waterbearer

2x (5) Shield of Galakrond

1x (5) Time Rip

1x (7) Galakrond, the Unspeakable

AAECAa0GBM2vA5u6A7C6A8jAAw0e3AHJBtMKgpQD0aUDmakD2qwD8qwD/q4Dqq8Dk7oDr7oDAA==

Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Decks for other classes are not ready yet!

Feel free to change up the decks. You probably don’t have the exact cards, but this is a more attainable goal to look forward to.

What makes a card good like Bad Luck Albatross will have to be another topic entirely.

Thanks for reading!

6 Likes

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this. You definitely helped many people who are trying out hearthstone for the first time. This helped me understand better for sure. So once again thank you for your effort.

4 Likes

I have a question. Is standard rank normally a grind of sorts ?

The first time I played rank I got discouraged because I didn’t go up very fast, but now I believe it takes a bunch of matches to grind to get rank up.

I love your decks, they look fun to play and are cool budget decks.

I have gotten better at understanding rank standard and plan to grind to a low rank for now.

Thanks friend and be well.

There is alot of variance between players progression to determine if it is a grind. Some could take <100games to reach Legend while some over 300game.

A lot of factors such as deck quality, choice, player’s knowledge and skill, rng, etc all contributes in the variance.

Thank you so much for sharing this and spending the time to compile!

Beat my first DH opponent using the Paladin deck!!

1 Like