Moonfang interaction

I could see this going either way. Moonfang “can only take 1 damage” but Mo’arg says “all minions take double damage.” I don’t see any reason that Mo’arg couldn’t double the amount of damage that Moonfang takes in this instance.

then the sentence : “Can only take 1 damage at a time” is wrong, since it can take more in that case. It makes it pretty confusing with this text if it’s really intended

it would certainly be possible depending on how the game applies dmg. i suspect this case depends on what card was played first.

if moonfang was played first and damage is dealt to moonfang then the sequence of effects will be that moonfang makes the damage it would receive 1, then the moargs will kick in one after one, doubling the damage each time to 2, 4, and finally 8 with 3 moarg on field.

that’s what happened, I had moonfang played, then the DH started doing the heal otk combo, and stopped for a moment, because well, we both assumed his combo wouldn’t work on moonfang.

he still tried, and moonfang took 8 damage. he had spell damage + 3 artificer on board, so the spell damage didn’t affect moonfang, but the 3 artificer did

It’s not like Mo’arg says “All minions except Moonfang take double damage”. The statement on Moonfang conflicts with the one on Mo’arg. One or the other has to take priority.

I just tried the same kind of order with Animated Armor (“Your hero can only take 1 damage at a time”).
The idea goes like this :

1. Play Animated Armor first (exactly like moonfang first)
  2. Play Artificer + Ashtongue
  3. Use a spell on Ashtongue

In this case, my hero only took 1 damage, as I would have expect in the first place. The term “only” in the text makes it logical to take priority imho.
For moonfang, you can double the damage, but since it can only take 1, it should only take 1

PS : trying the same idea with Cursed blade + Animated Armor would be best, but not sure how to do that without a 2nd account xD

I would expect Animanted Armor to take priority over Artificer’s double damage because Artificer only effects minions.

the difference here is that animated armor says your hero while moarg says minions, so moarg cant double the dmg to heroes

Yeah, would need to make Cursed blade + Animated Armor combo to have the same setup but with hero hp.

I don’t have Blingtron, but if you guys have it (or another way to make that combo happen), I’m curious whether the hero would take double damage or not

So, I tested this since I do have 2 accounts, and the results are not completely consistent. I played a mage against a warrior. The mage played Ashtongue, the warrior played Cursed Blade, and my mage Stickyfingered the warrior’s Cursed Blade then played Animated Armor.

Mage played Ray of Frost on Ashtonge, damaging Ashtongue 2 and damaging the Mage 1.

Warrior hit Mage’s face with 1/1 Novice Engineer, damaging Mage 2.

Warrior hit Mage’s face with 2/3 Manafeeder Panthara, damaging Mage 1.

Warrior hit Mage’s face with 6/3 Moonfang, damaging Mage 1.

Warrior plays Mo’arg artificer, Mage uses Ice Lance on Ashtongue, damaging Ashtongue 8 and damaging the Mage 1.

So, it looks like anything above 1 damage gets reduced to 1, but 1 damage gets doubled to 2 for some reason. I might try to see what happens if the cards are played in a different order, but that’s all I have right now.

2 Likes

Imagine my surprise when Meca’thun first killed my hero whilst Mal’ganis was still in play. My hero should be immune… but Meca’thuns script reads destroy the enemy hero, I love a good Paradox as much as the next person but I was disappointed that they had not implemented a different outcome for when the hero is immune.

Immune means you can’t take damage and that the opponent can’t target you. It doesn’t mean that you can’t be destroyed. The same is true for immune creatures and non-targeted board clears like brawl.

Wow, first, thx for trying these interactions!
Now, I’m still very confused on how the mechanics even work o.O
So if the damage > 1, the “only” text card gets the priority over the “double damage”, but if it’s 1, the check returns true on the “only”, and then the “double damage” applies.
It’s very confusing that the check for the damage from the “only” card is different depending on the damage done prior to the doubling. I still don’t see how the coding sequence can change the order of the check, since it looks like that’s what was happening with your tests with cursed blade

It’s even possible that they’re in random order. If the “only” gets checked first then Mo’arg can multiply it. Otherwise it gets reduced to 1. Either way, it’s coded very poorly.

The statement on Moonfang conflicts with the one on Fireball too, but Moonfang always wins in that case.

Perhaps people have been trained to think “Moonfang always wins”?

Fireball is not a damage modifier.
Moonfang is. Mo’arg is. Spell damage on spells is. Yet these are not all the same, since Mo’arg and Moonfang modify damage taken rather than damage dealt (as is the case for spell damage).

It has already been established from interactions with cards such as Rolling Fireball that the game first determines base damage, then applies modifiers to damage dealt (Spell Damage), and then ends the sequence with modifiers to damage taken (Mo’arg).

In the case of Mo’arg + Moonfang, both are modifiers of the same type. I have not experimented, but I would expect that the standard Hearthstone practice of “process same type interactions in order of play” applies. So if you play Moonfang first, Mo’arg second, then cast Fireball on Moonfang, I’d expect Moonfang to reduce Fireball damage to 1, then Mo’arg double it to 2. But if you start with Mo’arg, then Moonfang, and then Firebal, I’d expect Mo’arg to double the damage to 12, and then Moonfang reduces it back to 1.

1 Like

Easy enough to replicate this, have a moonfang on board. Play a Mo’arg, and then play an Imolation Aura. The Moonfang will die but to me seems like the Moonfang effect should take precedent. Have screenshots if required.

1 Like

As Skizzy tested with Animated armor + Cursed Blade (which is same idea than moonfang + moarg), the animated armor takes precedence IF AND ONLY IF the damage was more than 1 prior to attacking.

With Moarg + Moonfang, if the same interaction is applied, it would mean fireball would hit moonfang for 1, but using shiv/fan on knives/etc (whatever does 1damage as spell) would hit moonfang for 2 damage.

When it happened to me, I think there was spelldamage on board, so it contradicts with cursed blade interaction. Maybe those 2 seemingly same interactions are not coded the same way, but in any case, any “Only” card should take priority, or the wording on the card should be changed.

1 Like

This here. “Only” in English doesn’t mean “only unless some other stuff happens.”

I only carry an umbrella when it is raining. Would anyone expect me to do it if someone told me to carry two?

I only eat vegan food. Would someone expect me to eat meat sometimes? (note: this is an example, please don’t take away my meat).