I thought they were joking about Velarok

Some of yall have poor/selective reading comprehension. Idk why I expected better though, that’s on me.

I agree that the “personal-statistics” in this game can be misleading; and I don’t mean just because of bias; the sample may be just too small.

But what I do think most people misunderstand about this game: is that they underestimate the value of mechanics over statistics: e.g. many appear to have the delusion that a deck only has “general win-rate stats” but they don’t get that the “win-rate” can be gigantically higher if you make that same deck yourself and nobody else knows about it (because nobody will know how to counter it (yet(until it becomes popular))).

“Mechanics instead of only Statistics” is a whole world in reality; i.e. yeah you may shuffle spells around and then look at “statistics” but there may not even be time to …collect statistics; at some point the best players in the world understand the MECHANICS of their decks before they look at statistics (and the statistics will reflect the deck being good or not (and the deck may be wrong and fail (and the deck will drop in “statistics” after people learn about it and counter it etc.))).

1 Like

I absolutely concur with your viewpoint. The “win-rate” is a dynamic variable rather than a static one, contingent on the anticipation and unpredictability of the deck. Over-reliance on static “statistics” can be misleading and may not capture the true intricacies of the game. Skilled players, beyond just understanding the “statistics”, have a deep comprehension of the deck’s “mechanics”, helping them adapt and innovate under changing circumstances. Moreover, as you pointed out, the popularity of a deck can affect its “win-rate”; as a deck becomes popular and others learn to counter it, the “statistics” may reflect a dip. This highlights the constant evolution and strategic depth inherent in the game, far beyond just numbers.

I’m pretty sure the top players almost exclusively make their own decks (and I know the current champion does). It’s inevitable after a point because the “best” way to lower the win rate of a deck is to make it popular because even when it doesn’t get counters: its own self is a counter that gets it to ~50% win rate theoretically (by definition assuming the same play-skill).

Only problem is you may fail making a unique deck; but it doesn’t matter much to me; it’s part of the game when learning.

You’re right. I don’t get that. Because it’s totally fake.

I don’t get what so hard to understand, especially when you don’t prove your position.

Don’t you get for example that if you have the most amazing deck in the world: the win rate of it plummets to ~50%: assuming it’s copied by the opponent and assuming similar play-skill?

You’re assuming that deckbuilding skill is significant and that piloting skill is trivial. It is the other way around.

You keep making pompous statements, and never proving them.

Prove to us why it is trivial to build a deck.

1 Like

Deckbuilding is very much a significant part of the game that takes the most creativity and thought especially if you are blazing new or lesser known trails. I only know because I do all my deckbuilding myself and when I look to see if others have thought about certain cards and whatnot, in most cases they haven’t (or haven’t been posted about online). A lot of people have a very narrow minded view of deck building so much that most literally copy+paste decks from people utilizing the “best” stuff. It’s a real shame in my opinion. So many possibilities underexplored.

It is not at all trivial to truly build a deck that is an improvement over netdecks. Indeed, it’s extraordinarily difficult. So difficult that only approximately 1% of all players pull it off. The other 99% will have a better winrate (although arguably less fun) just copying a netdeck.

The reason why deckbuilding skill is trivial to the Hearthstone experience is because only 1% are actually playing that game, and 99% of players are not. They might think that they are, but believing doesn’t make it so.

What a narcissistic answer and a fallacy. First of all the question was not how many can do it but if it is important.

I.e. nice moving the goalposts.

Playing against Velarok is miserable.

That depends on what your situation and goals are. If you’re high legend, deckbuilding becomes a crucial skill. It’s all about adapting to current opponents and teching out against their traps. You need to be fluid and unpredictable.

If you’re not even legend yet, what’s the point of deckbuilding except to have fun? Not like you have a serious chance to make a decent deck by yourself. If you did have that skill, you wouldn’t be stuck in pre-legend xD It’s much more…efficient, to say the least, to just copy-paste a working deck, grind out to high legend and then you can start considering deck building with all its’ pains and gains

This game is all about moving goalposts. Pre-legend is one game, legend is another game and high legend is yet another game. The game is designed to move goalposts. As it should be.

Such is life. You don’t (or at least you shouldn’t) live the same way and have the same goals as a teenager, as adult or as a retired man.

1 Like