Doppelgangster in mercs

Yeah, 0 speed copy is extreme BS, and almost looks like a mistake since this normal node trash becomes harder than the boss for most comps.

The new mercs didn’t really change frost too much, you just got Zar’jira as the 6th merc that can get useful treasures. The main thing with frost is using Balinda’s frost elemental together with Varden’s ‘gain frost damage when something is frozen’ equipment to ramp up frost damage fast, and set up a frost nova deathblow for second round, after which Varden has so much spell power anything will die. Also of course with Lokholar and Lich King in the team you also have two characters who can get Remorseless Winter treasure, and if you get that, you just win the whole run easily.

2 Likes

That does seem like a fun comp. Would like to try it if Mercenaries had something more entertaining like a special weekly quest for “Great Rewards,” lol.

I just use whatever comp is best for the boss and grind for coins without thinking too much, usually, lol.

I recommend u guys to max Tyrael’s Third skill as soon as possible, with that we can easily protect ourselves from their shots with holy comps.

Trigore is also a great counter with its 2nd skill.

some things I might use for inevitable equipment heroic runs …thanks

The fact that it can be beaten is not the point at all, even if it can be beaten easily with a certain comp. I should not have to run one very specific comp just to survive the yard trash.

1 Like

exactly esp since there event tasks with specific comp requirements

I take my time to choose my bounty map, and I try and avoid any green/fighter encounters like the plague because of those guys!

agreed. even an all protector group can get utterly destroyed by these guys.

New quest 3 complete dark shore Acolyte with 6 humans, climb is hard enough only to hit one of these and auto lose after 15 minutes of grinding. Agree completely doable if you have very very specific comps but at present, for a non elite trash pack it is some of the most challenging content in the game and clearly not at all tested.

I refreshed time and time again to avoid green and elite spots as to best try and avoid a failed run.

1 Like

Human comp is super easy to deal with them assuming your dudes are maxed out level.

Cariel + Cornelius + Varian (retaliation equipment)
Taunt up and let Varian go to work

If they acted on speed 10 so you could TRY to focus one down before it duplicates, it’s more reasonable, but even 3x dopplegangsters is pretty ridiculous. One clone each, on speed 10, would open up a lot of possible comps, as would making it target RANDOMLY for the subsequent shots, but still letting it clone twice. Should be able to focus one down, remaining one clones himself. You still have two to deal with the next turn, who fire four times. A third dopplegangster results in nine shots, which is pretty ridiculous. As it is, I just give up and abandon the run if I get Dopplegangsters with anything that can’t one-turn KO the enemy board.

@ Stormageddon, what squad are you using?

Usually, I’m doing four mercs with quests and two to carry or add synergies, so it’s not particularly consistent. Usually I can get to the end of the maps with any comp (even if I lose to the boss), but dopplegangsters flat out end runs with non-optimized mercs.

I don’t mean max level; they’re all max for me now, I mean using mercs who aren’t well synergized for a ton of quick and/or AOE damage. A lot of bosses require more specific compositions, and that’s fine, but dopplegangsters do far more damage on turn two than anything else in the game, including bosses. There’s no real ramp up. It’s clones on turn one at speed zero, so you’ve potentially got a full set of 6 for turn two, especially if you don’t run with two reds.

If you don’t have enough AOE damage to kill 2/3 to all of them off before they start casting in the second turn, you lose multiple mercenaries. Them cloning before they can be hurt is particularly aggravating, since it massively increases the damage requirement to prevent mercenary losses. They also aren’t attacking, so taunt is useless in focusing damage.

Basically, they’re too big of a difficulty spike relative to any other trash encounter. Yes, they can be killed with a few compositions, but those compositions are limiting, and it’s not particularly fun to lock in 3 or more mercs to counter dopplegangsters specifically. Instead, I avoid paths with green (on maps where they can spawn) entirely, and if there isn’t a non-green path, I restart.

If your comp is focused on single target damage, you maybe kill one or two in turn one, leaving you with 4-5 in turn two. If your units are below average speed (e.g. slow), they’re dead turn two. If they’re above average, maybe you kill another one or two, but you still likely lose a mercenary, particularly if there’s a blue out.

If you’re focused on AOE, but don’t have ENOUGH AOE, or it’s too slow, again, you’re FUBARed. It’s not fun to get 2/3 through a run and go from 6 mercs to 2 or none vs. trash.

What I expect when fighting trash is to usually lose at most one mercenary, two if it’s a bad matchup, or three at worst, assuming some familiarity with the enemy units and their ability options. Losing all six against one trash fight is excessive, and it’s easier to just avoid Dopplegangsters entirely.

You can’t freeze one to prevent cloning (zero speed). You can’t delay the cloning with slowing abilities to buy more time to burn one down before it clones (again, zero speed). Burning one (or even two) of six down after cloning isn’t enough to prevent losses. You can’t root them to stop them dealing damage. You can’t reduce their attack power to reduce the damage they deal.

If we could eliminate ONE before cloning, we get shot four to nine times in round two, depending on if two or three survive to shoot. Still potentially nasty, and the latter likely loses you a mercenary (so does the former if they shoot a blue), but it’s significantly less ridiculous than what actually happens.

Eliminating one after cloning typically means you get one more in turn two, unless they kill your slow units before they get to attack (which is usually what happened with me), so you get shot 16, 25, or 36 times in round two. In comparison, the cloning imp damage increases linearly, and they deal damage to themselves in the process (because they’re attacking), whereas dopplegangsters increase exponentially and have no opportunity cost. If they got mega-windfury, or each one attacking caused all the others to attack, it’d still be costly, but at least it’s not one-sided devastation, and attack reduction abilities could be used to counter their damage output.

What currently counters dopplegangsters? Fire comp, Trigore (if they don’t kill him first), and Smite (ditto)? The ‘damage taken reduced’ mercenaries have a little potential, but, just like Trigore and Smite, are useless if the wrong unit gets hit, and there’s no way to force them to hit the units you want them to. Reno could force ONE of them, but he’d get wrecked by the counterfire. Cornelius can redirect damage onto himself from one unit, which can make Trigore and/or Smite viable, but now we’re basically dedicating two mercenaries to countering one potential trash fight. A fire comp kills basically everything, which I guess is fine, but when it’s the only viable comp for trash clears, it’s boring.

There actually is way to force them to hit specific unit. They always target the lowest health mercenary (assuming no vulnerabilities), if you just have Smite and someone else who has less health than Smite, you easily clear doppelgangsters.

But retaliation doesnt activates only to attacks?

Which is exactly what I said… assuming no vulnerabilities they are targeting whoever has lowest health. Don’t have anything blue out, have Mr. Smite out, have someone else with less hp than Mr. Smite out, use Overboard turn 2 on Smite, all doppelgangsters die.

You are right, I was thinking something else. but fire comp should be easy to deal with them right.
Belinda + Gedden + Ragnaros

Not the only way, common treasure is to increase balinda’s speed so she gets to do damage on 0 before one replicates.