Do Loaner Decks Update When the Expansion Drops?

I’m a returning player (haven’t played in a few years) and have seen the post about the updated free decks for new/returning players. I’d want to grab the new decks to get more of the newer cards, so my question is if I log in now (today), I presumably would get the old decks, but would those update tomorrow when the expansion drops? Or should I wait until tomorrow?

Yes, wait until tomorrow. Based on that post I’d expect them to change with the expansion launch. Worst case should be another day or two.

If you get the cards now, they go into your collection. It isn’t actually a loaner deck, it’s a free deck.

1 Like

I don’t think they would. As you have access to those cards for like a week and then get to pick one of those 6 decks. At least that is my understanding.

I wouldn’t assume that, Mand. Why give away contemporary decks when this is a business, after all. While Blizzard wants its players back, this company wants $$$. :money_with_wings:

I imagine free decks will almost certainly be lacking. As a business, Blizzard wants moneys. This is not no charity, bruvah. :wink:

Straight from the blue.

You’re assuming that this update includes the cards we’d expect to see in actual meta decks. There needs to be incentive to make purchases. Giving away top decks destroys that incentive.

The biggest thing you can do to get someone who doesn’t play the game to buy packs is to get them to try playing the game.

Indeed, that’s the initial attraction (look at all these “free” packs and or updated decks! Despite that, returning players need to make purchases, or Blizzard can give two bowel movements.

We don’t really disagree, but I think worded this differently.

We definitely disagree, you seem to think the current policy is ineffective and think a less generous one would be more effective.

A good decade or so of mobile games proves you wrong.

Good point. Have those mobile games lasted, or died, though? Has the quick buck model (like Diablo Immortal) lasted? I understand it’s a matter for investors. Nevertheless, the current HS business model isn’t working. I suppose we can blame the contemporary card designs, but I tend to doubt that, because it’s basically the same model as ole.

Except for the rampant powercreep.

But part if it is just fatigue on any particular game. People move on. This idea that people will all stay playing the same game at the same rate for a decade or more really isn’t founded in any kind of reality. Those of us who do things like post on game forums usually do have a game or two that falls into that category, but the vast, vast majority of the playerbase doesn’t. When a game sags they lose interest, and it almost never comes back.

This isn’t limited to Hearthstone or Blizzard. MTG has shown similar difficulties, especially emblematic in the shift from a two-year to a three-year standard rotation. Put simply, the top MTG format is Commander, where card viability is wider, you never need more than one copy of a card (up to 4 for competitive Standard decks) and most importantly there’s lots of other players. The idea of Standard formats itself is what is most at risk in the genre as a whole. And if the powerhouse that is MTG’s 30-year design is having problems, I’m not surprised others in the genre are too.

That’s another good point – gamers have so many options today that are novel, like Marvel Snap. I’m unsure where HS stands in popularity anymore. I think MtG has lasted (despite its drop in the player-base). MtG has Arena, but in its tangible format it allows players to retain at least some value relative to money spent. Renting cards, like we do in HS, discourages any influx of new / returning players. I’d love to see cards become NFTs, but that will never happen for the moment, anyway.

As for power creep: That’s a lazy way to sell cards. We need horizontal and fun cards, not ones designed in obsoleting curren cards, IMO.

That is beyond madness. NFTs have been and will always be a pure 100% scam.

1 Like

I don’t know enough on NFTs to argue about it. I’ll take your word, though. I am trying to say that if we could put actual value on cards, that may provide some inventive to collect and play.

Forgive my madness. :wink:

Trading would destroy what is left of this game.

Think a bit on the consequences of tradeable resource generation that doesn’t cost money on accounts that aren’t limited in how many you can make.

You’re probably right. It’s just that it can feel bad to spend all of this money (not anymore) and time for essentially to own nothing. Although, no one held a gun to my head. I’m trying to think of how to make it worth it for newcomers and veterans alike.

You aren’t buying goods, you’re buying entertainment. Any live performance event you could go to you “get nothing” for your ticket price (swag is always extra). But what you’re buying is the experience of being entertained.

Apply that to your gaming, and you’ll be happier about them, even the ones you do walk away with a physical copy of.

1 Like

I like how you think! :smiley:

The implementation of this was sloppy. I logged back in after not having played with the decks for a while and it said I could pick one after a week. I played with all of the decks picked my favorite after getting experience with each one and on the last day of the timer the decks reset to a new batch none of which I’m interested in or have had time to experiment with and was forced to pick one I didn’t get a chance to play.