Devolving Missiles Bug?

There appears to be a problem/bug with a card from the recent Scholomance set/update. The card is devolving missiles. I appear to have a bug where it just constantly targets one minion no matter the size of the enemy board.

If I have an enemy board of 2 or more minions and I play devolving missiles, it targets one enemy minion and fires all three missiles into the one. This has happened every time I have played the card, without fail. It usually picks the target on the far right or centre target of 3.

Is anyone else experiencing the same bug? it didn’t happen initially but now happens every time I play the card. so, in the last 10 or so games it has, without fail, only targeted one minion…

2 Likes

RNG is not fair. RNG is not uniformly distributed. RNG is … well, random.
RNG is not a bug.

No, I agree… So you are suggesting its just RNG (Obviously?)

1 Like

To play devil’s advocate, if there WERE a bug that made all the missiles choose the same target, how would anyone ever report it, given this response?

1 Like

I’ve been watching streams, haven’t played it myself personally, but it was so obvious that the mathematics is off that I had to look this up. Mainly I’ve noticed with two minions it hits one all three times, which is a 1/4 chance by a fair coin. I’ve watched maybe 5 consecutive streams with different streamers playing the card and its happened 5 times out of 5, so I’m inclined to believe its either a bug, there’s a 1/1024 chance that RNG stepped its game up, or streamers post videos that have more unlikely RNG scenarios like that to amp up the tension in game. So, that’s possible, but its very unlikely this keeps happening. RNG is uniform over a large enough sample size btw, otherwise it isn’t random. One game obviously isn’t enough, but watching more than a few with more than a few missiles fired its reasonable to assume there’s something wrong.

2 Likes

lets assume the scenario always is 3 minion, hitting the same 3 times is then 1/27, which means every 27th activation it will happend. then take into account the many thousands of games played on each server every day. it will happend many times each day that devolving hit the same minion 3 times in row

For 3 minions it is actually 1/9, since the first minion hit can be any of them. Same argument (i.e., it will happen multiple times per day), just more so :slight_smile:

One question I have: Can devolve missile hit a minion which is already at cost 0? That could have an influence then, if you have 1 big minion and 2 with cost 0, it would only have one target to hit, really.

I tried to find streams of Devolving Missile to look at the situation myself, but could not find one easily. So if one of you has links to such videos (please specify at what time(s) the card is played), please share them. Don’t forget to follow the guide:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/how-to-share-links-to-screenshots-videos-and-replays/2242

1 Like

from what i have seen: yes it can, but it wont devolve any further

I just faced an opponent who played Devolving Missile, so, 1 time out of the 1 time I personally saw that card played, it hit two of my minions, it does not appear to be stuck hitting the same minion all the time as claimed.
https://imgur.com/a/wWAyx09
(hit my Captain, Raider, then the former Captain; none of which were “far right”)

Edit: added a second screenshot, 2nd time I ever encounter someone playing devolving missiles, I had two minions in play, both were hit. So 2 in 2 now that it does NOT behave in a buggy way as claimed.

1 Like

This is still occurring in the current version. And, anybody who plays Non-Minion Mage will attest - this occurs on a frequent basis in what should be a VERY rare case. Please take a look at the code for this one - don’t dismiss this as RNG being RNG, I’d bet my left nut the math is off.