Darius Crowley does not work correctly with sweeping strike

when Darius Crowley hits middle of 3 minions with sweeping strike and kill all 3 minions, it only gains 1 times +2 +2 instead of 3 times. the thunder icon activates 3 times but the effect does not. i tested sweeping strike with Akali the Rhino and Oondasta they both work.

Known issue. Linked below.

Actually, the issues you linked have been hotfixed last week:

This Crowley issue appears to be separate.

It could be that Blizzard specifically coded Lifesteal and Poisonous to work with Sweeping Strikes, but forgot other effects, like Darius.

Confirmed - this is still broken for Darius and it’s very annoying that it doesn’t work

Can anyone tell me if this interaction is fixed? I’m curious because I will build a deck around Darius/Akali and Sweeping Strike.

I believe this is the expected behavior as Darius doesn’t technically “attack” the side minions. I’ll mention this to the team, but I expect that it will remain as is for now.

3 Likes

Hmm, so how do Oondasta/Akali “technically attack” with Sweeping Strike but Darius couldn’t? Because Darius is worded with “After this attacks and kills a minion…”. Technically, every kill should be accounted for, right? It was even mentioned within first post

I look forward to a real response, not a lazy one, with concrete reasons, from Blue Members.

I’m not a blue. But I can give you a real response, with concrete reasons.

Oondasta and Akali have an effect that is conditional based on the keyword “Overkill”. Which means that the effect triggers by dealing excess damage on your turn.
Darius has an effect that is conditional based on the card description: “After this attacks and kills a minion”. The different wording means it is not the same trigger.
Finally, Sweeping Strikes gives a minion “Also damages minions next to whoever this attacks”. If does not read “it also attacks minions next to whoever this attacks” (which would also have been possible, but weaker because attacking means that the target inflicts return damage)

When you apply Sweeping Strikes to Akali or Oondasta and then attack the middle of three minions, then it attacks that minion, and also damages its neighbours. One attack event, three damage events. If all opponent minions are low health, then each of the three damage events might deal excess minions. And since you are attacking, it is definitely your turn. The Overkill condition can hence be met a maximum of three times from a single attack.

Similarly, when you apply Sweeping Strikes to Darius and then attack the middle of three minions, then it too attacks that minion, and also damages its neighbours. One attack event, three damage events. If all opponent minions are low health, then they will all die. The middle minion was definitely “attacked and killed” by Darius. But the two neighbour minions were not attacked. They were damaged by the Sweeping Strikes effect after the middle minion was attacked.

If Darius Crowley’s card text had been “After this kills a minion on your turn …”, then you would have been correct. But that is not what the card text reads. A very strict and literal interpretation of the card text (which in most cases is the best option in Hearthstone) can only result to the conclusion that, even though three minions died, only one of them was “attacked and killed”. The others were killed by splash damage.

I hope this helps. :wink:

3 Likes

Your statement makes perfect sense, BigHugger. Although I’m still disappointed the fact that I can’t triple the buff on Darius, Rush Warrior deck I created in Wild performs great. Akali and Sweeping shenanigans really support me well.