Am I a Bad Player?

I’d say that on T2 you should’ve magnetized the Venomizer. You have Jeeves anyway, you want to get value from him ASAP and put stats in play. You are the aggressor, don’t hoard cards for value. I know it hurts to use Venomizer for face damage, but at the end of the day, it’s a 2 mana +2/+2, right?

Same thing later on with T4, instead of weaving in Hero Powers, literally dump cards and play Jeeves, let your opponent worry about it.

On T5, with Mechwarper on board and second in hand, and Jeeves, and DOUBLE WARGEAR AND ZILLIAX, you… Hero Power again. It hurts my soul :frowning: I’d say this was definitely the turn where you had the last chance to still make a meaningful push and force your opponent into panic mode, but you didn’t take it, and your opponent got the time he/she needed to stabilize.

So, first things first: Don’t be afraid of overextending if you can reload - basically, if you can reload in case of a wipe, it wasn’t overextending :smiley: You had the perfect setup there, Jeeves, lots of buffs and double Mechwarper. If you see it, go for it!
Secondly: ask yourself the question, if you play it slow, who is more likely to win? And if the answer is: your opponent, why should you go slowly then?

1 Like

Instructions unclear: wanted glorious victory, made strange fruit salad instead.

Back on topic though, it’s probably only a minor problem; in any competition, small details often mean large changes in results. A 3% difference in winrate can seem small, but when pushing legend, the difference between someone winning 55% of the time and someone winning 52% of the time is one person making legend while the other one takes too long and runs out of time.

Minor misplays can cause losses, losses end winstreaks and have to be remade somehow. It may be something you know you did wrong, like undercomitting in fear of a Flamestrike and then missing lethal, to overlooked details like accepting a mulligan that could have been better (or the opposite, mulliganing a card you may have needed).

Nothing to do but reflect. If you lost, was it a mistake under your control? Identify what you could have done, and whether it was a mistake at all. Was it out of your control? Don’t worry about it.

4 Likes

That was the entire point to the post as well as the replay. When you’re too close to the situation, it is hard to tell if it’s you or it isn’t you.

Several replies have been immensely helpful and I plan to practice what I’ve taught.

4 Likes

I tried a couple more matches: one, I did miss lethal so I lost that.

The second one I played much better but still lost to Reno/Mechathun Warlock. There is so much control where I am at that I do not think I will ever make legend at all in my life.

My mech hunter just can’t keep up with the value/removal. I don’t have the resources for Wild Odd Paladin or Wild Odd Rogue so any other recommendations would be immensely helpful.

Yes.

Cause you play Hunter.

:slight_smile: :wink:

2 Likes

Do you not have Baku? It’s my understanding that Odd Paladin is actually pretty cheap save for the Quartermasters and Loetheb if you don’t have Naxx.

Otherwise, there aren’t a lot of Midrange and Control options in Wild that are cheap crafts, if you’re looking to beat Control Warlock or Warrior. What do you have for Odd Pally, and how much dust do you have available, including cards you don’t have any use for that you can disenchant?

This list doesn’t seem too expensive if you cut some stuff.

AAEBAZ8FBqICrwTZrgKDxwKe+AL6/gIMRqcF7A/tD50V/68CuMcC48sC+9MC0eEC1v4CjpoDAA==

Cut the Crystallizers for Dire Moles, and lose the Corridor Creepers if you don’t have them, maybe use Stormwind Champions instead? It’ll be weaker than normal Odd Pally, but this deck is not that expensive.

Playing Hunter is clearly a worse offense than reno followed by Mechathun. Duly noted.

I have the standard odd paladin list but not the wild. I’m looking at 800-1500 dust for rares/epics. 1600 for Patches and 1600 for Loatheb, so yeah, its pretty expensive.

I have 35 dust because I’m slowly building a dragon priest deck. It is the only control deck I’ve found that I actually enjoy playing.

“Dragon Priest is more midrange than control.”

Whatever Dragon Priest is, it’s fun to play and I see it all the time. Hopefully, that can help me versus all this crap. The version I’m wanting to play is a Velen/Mindblast sort that combos all the pieces for an OTK.

I am missing DK Anduin, Velen and Loatheb and then I will be omw to OTK and Reno can suck on that. In the meantime, it’s a freaking nightmare.

Can you do me a favor an share this list you’re working towards? I wouldn’t mind trying it out.

1 Like

You don’t need Loetheb or Patches for Odd Paladin, in fact the list I posted didn’t run those cards.

But if you really like Dragon Priest, I’d say it’s a decent choice. You can get steamrolled by some decks, but if you last until the late game you have a decent chance of winning.

You might want to add some board clears though, 2 Psychic Screams don’t cut it sometimes since they cost 7 mana. I assume you don’t have Dragonfire Potion since you would have put it in your list, but maybe a Mass Hysteria or Excavating Evil could help your list a bit.

Edit: I see that the list you put up is the one you’re working towards, not the one you’re currently using. If you post that version I could give you some thoughts if you like.

Yes. That was basically already said by other posters:

But to make it simple for you:
Don’t have unspent Mana ever. That covers most of the detailed feedback you got. Everything else is minor decision making if you are playing a decent deck (which you are).

That being said, you don’t have to always spend your Mana if you are just playing for fun. I also like keeping resources. It’s detrimental to climbing though.

That approach is really only good with control/fatigue decks where you want to carefully meter out your removals so you can get to the end of your deck.

In most other deck styles, you generally want to be much more proactive with generating threats and getting your biggest and best minions out to force your opponent to respond.

In aggro decks, if you get to no cards left in hand and just playing whatever you are drawing off the top, you are probably playing it correctly in most cases.

Now, every matchup is a bit different, but there is definitely a point where you are playing too conservatively, and in many matchups your best win odds are just throwing EVERYTHING out onto the field as soon as you get it.

I don’t have a dragon priest list atm. The one I did have relied on DS/IF combo and was too slow - I lost a lot.

I’m very familiar with this list because I watch a streamer, Saucy Mailman, play it all the time. It’s his favorite deck and I started crafting toward it - I’m looking forward to it.

I also realized OTK decks are probably my best bet to counter all this reno/highlander nonsense.

As for Wild Odd Paladin, most of the lists I’ve found run pirates package…and so does every other Wild aggro deck I’ve found. Mech Hunter helped me get to where I am, but I think I need something different now.

Even Shaman, maybe?

I’ll let others weigh-in but you know my thoughts on Even Shaman =)

Even Shaman is pretty good, but it depends on what cards you’re missing. There’s legendaries like Hagatha, Kalimos, Al’Akir, Ragnaros, Lich King, and Aya Blackpaw that are used pretty frequently. The only epics are Corpsetaker and Sea Giant, but Corpsetaker isn’t required.

And from there it’s just commons and rares. It depends on what you have for Even Shaman to be good. You really need those legendaries to close out the game or you’ll just run out of steam.

For other decks, Kingsbane Rogue comes to mind, but I don’t know if you like Rogue or have Kingsbane. And then there’s just the different Warlock decks and some other stuff.

Personally I’d either try to keep honing your skills with Mech Hunter, (the deck is pretty good) or try Even Shaman if you have the cards.

I don’t know if you’re F2P or not, but if you aren’t or you’ve saved up enough gold, hopefully the excess cards you get from opening SoU packs will get you enough dust to craft Dragon Priest soon.

Just to attach on here. There are so many different Even Shaman builds and they all perform in a small window of each other just trading certain match-ups.

There is the Corpsetaker version TRQ is describing which is the absolute best against Aggro but gives up some against Control decks as your burst isn’t quite as substantial and focused on a smaller number of threatening minions usually.

There is the OL versions with Thunderhead which tend to be the most balanced. Some also add in Stormbringer as a nice ‘cherry on top’ against Control decks to turn some small Totems into an issue (hopefully).

Lastly, there is the more traditional Jade Package which is best against Control but can get run-over at times against Aggro.

They’re all good decks just a preference of design imho.

Thank you for posting this. I went an tried the deck, an I had a wonderful time with it.

Played 5 games with it an went 5-0 at rank 5 putting me now at 4. These we’re the matchups.

Cyclone Mage
Rogue (Emoted amazing when I dropped Netherspite Historian an conceded, not a true fight.)
Odd Paladin
Snip Snap OTK Warlock
Big Priest

I’m totally saving this list an the reach it has is pretty fun. I was really wondering if you needed the full list, but I can’t argue the cards you’re missing. Velen is a mandatory card for the deck. I will say in all those 5 games I didn’t get to use Shadowreaper Anduin at all. So is he needed? Perhaps not, but for sure would’ve been useful had the games went on longer.

You’re really gonna love the deck imo lol. Quite fun to nuke annoying classes an contest the board with Dragons.

If you have Alexstrsza, might use her until you get Anduin. She got me lethal agaisnt the Big Priest from Netherspite. Good luck have fun though.

How do you deal with turn 3?

I will still hold back from unleashing my brutality opinion…

From the matches I spec before, I would rather say that you are Inconsistent.
There are matches,

• that you seems to know that some moves are worse, but you commit to it anyway.
  • made a good move but fail to capitalize on it.
  • internalizing the lessons learnt - do you find yourself repeating similar mistake within a short span of games?

My suspect is that you are not fully focus when ladder. Playing at work, opened to some distraction, etc

These conditions may not reflect significance at lower rank, but it becomes increasing prominent as you climb higher.

Situational, really. He can clear taunts and bring them within lethal with his hero power. I’ve watched Saucy use Anduin quite a bit for those exact purposes. You might pull all your mindblasts but Velen is at the bottom of your deck and your screamed out, lol

I plan on testing a thaurissan>alex>mindblast version…but yes, it is a very fun deck that works verse a lot.

One of my favorite things about this deck is Shadow Visions. It doesn’t run too many spells so you’re almost always guaranteed to get what you need when you need it - which is what makes it so powerful. The dragon synergy essentially does the rest.

1 Like