Random Bans without Justification

Hi all, I’m a long time player of Blizzard games (Warcraft II, Starcraft 1/2, WoW) and now been playing DI since launch. Prior to this forum being created I followed a lot of reddit discussion about the game and for a long time I’ve seen countless posts about players being banned for seemingly no reason. Here are a few for reference:

It’s quite disturbing that seemingly anyone can be banned on a whim, then given a phony explanation that there was careful review when no specific reason or justification is given. To put icing on the cake, players are told they may not even get a response if they appeal the ban. Are we as players now a part of some sort of unjust/illogical authoritarian system when we play Blizzard games?

Furthermore, there’s evidence of high spender players repeatedly violating the TOS who remain untouched, phony mass reporting leading to automated bans, and bots running rampant in world chat for several reigns advertising platinum farming services. Yet for some reason, the system is banning players who are so new that they wouldn’t even know how to cheat.

It’s time for a Blizzard rep. to finally offer up an explanation here. As a player who has spent a lot of time here, I’m nervous this will happen to me. Everything I’ve worked on could be gone an instant. Why would I put any money into this game knowing that any second I can basically be eliminated?

Some easy steps in the right direction:

• Offer concrete evidence to the banned individual, e.g. log data demonstrating violations, the specific violation.
  • Offer a way for them to appeal the ban where a response is guaranteed (eventually), particularly for permaban situations.
  • Blizzard to offer any sort of acknowledgement of this situation.

Thanks for reading.

11 Likes

Did YOU get banned? If so, contact customer support. If you feel defrauded in purchasing, contact your bank. Blizzard is a multinational company, they dont “ban for no reason”. They’d be liable for fraud and punitive damages. It makes no sense

u need to wake up, brah

I did not get banned, no. But yes, they absolutely do ban for “no reason”, at least no correct reason. There are automated banning mechanisms that unfortunately don’t seem to work as intended. As an example, a rival clan organized to report a member of our clan in mass, resulting to our member being banned. That is one way accidental bans happen, among others. Please read the links I sent for more details.

3 Likes

Replying to this to get it more attention. A friend of mine just got banned. No idea why, not appeal, permanent ban. Never been banned on any other Blizzard game, never even got a warning ban, just… account closed in DI. They weren’t toxic in world chat, weren’t botting, weren’t doing anything as far as anyone could tell. I very much doubt they’re lying, for anyone who tries to say that. Technical mistakes happen. Accidental reports happen, and with the number of players in the game, I’m sorry to say that I seriously doubt that anyone double checking on an account ban has more than a few seconds to review the evidence before making a ruling. There may be a glitch in the reporting system, and I mostly say this because the ban went straight to permanent when people I’ve seen doing much worse with botting and toxicity only got temporary bans (if they got banned at all).

8 Likes

I too, have been banned for no reason given. I’ve opened several tickets only to have them merged and “resolved.” All I’m told is to “refer to the original email for more information.” Here’s the kicker: the original email was about changing my email in my account because of a snafu with my old one. Like other people, I don’t disparage people in chat, I actively stay out of arguments (most of those people only want to hear themselves rant anyway and will never listen to reason, so why waste my time/energy/etc.). I don’t bot, buy illegal platinum, there’s nothing offensive about my name. I’ve never received any warning about anything. Yes, I’ve used my PS5 controller, but supposedly the game is touted as supporting it and I’m not receiving any extra bennies from it. In fact, I’ve used it for months now, w/o incident or warning. If they want, I’ll switch to an Xbox controller, they just need to talk to me & tell me. But all I get is canned responses. All I want is my account unbanned, my characters restored w/all the gear, gems, money, etc. that I had before the ban. An apology would be nice. I love this game and want to continue supporting it. I started from the Open Beta drop until now, pls let me continue. That’s all I’m asking.

5 Likes

Happened to me on 10 October 2023 in the afternoon. Been playing most of the day. Log off for a bit. Come back and my account is banned. All communications with Blizzard have been vague and frustrating. I’d like to know why my account was banned and how I can go about resolving the issue. I’d like to know why I’m banned from one game and not all games. Shouldn’t a violation in one game mean I’m not worthy to play any games?

4 Likes

Blizzard bans only the game license where the infraction happened. You are able to continue playing other games if you have not broken rules in them. They WILL ban a whole Battlenet account in rare circumstances, but that takes something major to remove access from ALL your games.

The general category of your infraction should have been in the email you received to your registered Bnet email account. Beyond that, your only option is to appeal via ticket. They will reply with a template, even though a human looks at it.

They will not go into detail about what was detected or how, as cheat makers, bot makers, etc - would love that info. Not saying you are one! Just saying that is why Blizzard does not release the info. Never use third party software with their games, automate any portion of gameplay, etc.

2 Likes

LMAO ahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah. I remember you.

Wow - according to this poll on reddit, nearly 1 in 10 Diablo Immortal players polled get permanently banned. Is 10% of players an expected number, or on par with other games? Could there be something faulty in the code logic to identify violations? I come from a Machine Learning / software development background and I very much understand these false positives can happen, but it seems slightly abnormal here.

Was still hoping to get an explanation here, Blizzard. Can’t you consider an adjustment to the ban process, e.g. giving players more of an explanation, not automatically permabanning people (give clear warnings, progressively increase ban times from a week, month, up to permanent), or helping us all understand the violations that lead to these bans in more detail?

4 Likes

On reddit. In a server of 1000 players, maybe 1 of those is active on reddit, I’ve seen maybe 10 others from my specific 4 pack server, none banned, so we’re 0/10,000

The banned neglect to mention a Bliz customer service person told then which document to read to discover the behavior that resulted in a ban

Does blizzard HAVE to do this? Probably not. I cant imagine they let “random bans” be a thing at all

Follow EULA, follow CoC, follow Bnet ToS, no worries!

That’s quite a guess (without a source) on the number of players on a server, and how many are active on reddit. Of the people I know on both reddit and DI they don’t use the same alias between the two. Also, your idea works both ways - many players who get banned do not say a word on either the forum here or reddit, and simply download a new app from the App/Play stores.

I think if you read through the many reddit posts on this issue, the vast majority of users did not know they violated the ToS and CoC. Even after their bans, they cannot clearly extrapolate why, and that is the main issue I think at this point.

2 Likes

This is simply not true. I have read most all of them and the theme of the posts are from new/unused burner reddit accounts, previous commenting/post history related to heavy gaming, software understanding, and hardware knowledge. 99% of every post is “random ban,” “bliz unfair,” followed with OTHER new/unused reddit accounts brigading it seems

Massive global corp that made gamers/techies mad with successful microtransaction PC game port of extremely popular game franchise for mobile or massive global corp that relies on player engagement randomly targets people for no reason

Anyone who plays Diablo, WoW, and other Bnet game knows they are cheaters being banned. Blizzard runs a clean arcade. Dont help cheaters spread their gaslightning

1 Like

Bump, yeah me too, no idea. Take note of the shills screaming “JuStIfIeD” while they can log in, because god forbid this happens to them :wink:

2 Likes

Hello! Another victim here. I’m currently in appeal status as this happened today. I had been playing all morning. Our clan was seeking a server transfer, I created a couple new characters on prospective server clusters, a couple hour go by, I relog to an account ban with no clear explanation. I suspect the creation of multiple accounts looks funny, but this is ridiculous…

8 Likes

Get ready for the trolls to tell you you’re lying and that you actually are a cheater, or that because you only have 1 post you’re likely just one cheater duplicating accounts to make more posts about this ban issue.

But in all seriousness, sorry man this happened to you. Dont you play on Treasure Goblin too? Either way, hope you get a full explanation rather than a “you broke the law and we won’t tell you how.” A lot of false bans out there so my assumption is that you are another.

6 Likes

I fully expect to never get my account back based on the plethora of posts like this both here in the discussion boards and on Reddit. I only have 1 post because I’ve never felt the need to voice any opinions on the forums.

I’ve spent everyday for the last 17months dedicated to this game and my clan. The fact that this hit my account after having just made 2 new characters on other servers seems too coincidental… And as far as I’m aware this doesn’t violate ToS or CoC

2 Likes

I will vouch for this man. I have been apart of his clan and family since the game launched last year. He’s legit… I just wish blizzard was.

A high spender in our clan where I am officer, just got his account closed without warning. He spent thousands of dollars on this game, and have no idea what he did wrong.

He mainly play from PC with xbox one controller, but recently swapped to ps5 controller, both original, and both on blizzards approved list.

This is the second guy I know getting banned without reason (other guy from our ally clan). I am a high spender myself, but I will not spend another dime untill this is resolved. Why would I, when I can wake up tomorrow and my account is banned? All the posts on reddit saying “oh you know what u did” is bs. This is not just a coinsidense. The other guy was a low spender playing on phone, todays guy a high spender playing on PC. Both real nice guys. No cupcakes.

3 Likes

Dont automate the grind. One button, one action, human input

Thems the rules

1 Like