Xbox Series X - Loud fan noise on map screen

Just bought the game yesterday and noticed that the fan gets very loud on my Series X, on the map screen. Anyone else experienced this issue?

Only happens in this game and only on the map screen. Fans are clean.

I bought the game via the Halloween sale, and normally it’s fine on my Xbox Series X. Oddly, earlier this week, I did have the fan really crank up in a way it’s never done before for any game. This was not on the map screen.

I exited back to main menu, quit back to the home screen, and shut my console off. The issue has not repeated even after hours of play. Very odd.

Question: Do you ever play any of the modern Gears of War titles? How long are your play sessions and do you fully shut your console down when done or is it in energy saver mode? How much open space is there on all sides of your console?

I played the game some more yesterday, and noticed that its often during the map screen in towns that the fan starts to kick in, less so outside of towns or in dungeons. Seems very playable though, just a bit odd.

I´v played gears5, but not much. But some new games I have spent time in is Forza5, Street fighter 6 and MK1. Usually between 1-2hours/session.

The console is placed with a good amount of open space around it. But usually I have it on energy saver mode. I shut it down from time to time though. I did shut it down completely after my first post, and quit all quick start sessions, and it seemed to have lessened the issue a bit. But than again I just avoided to use the map for longer times during town =)

1 Like

That is interesting, as I don’t notice it on the map myself.

I asked about modern Gears of War games, i.e. Gears 5, as I’ve noticed they really get the fans going on my Xbox Series X, Xbox One X, and even my PC. I’m curious if you’ve noticed the same and if so, how does the Diablo IV fan noise you’re mentioning compare?

For ventilation, here’s a cut and paste from the official Xbox Support site:

"An Xbox Series X console can be placed either horizontally or vertically. Make sure that you place your console on a stable surface that is well-ventilated, relatively cool, and away from direct heat sources. Don’t put other objects on, under, or right next to the console.

Important Proper ventilation is important to prevent overheating. Make sure that your console has a minimum of 4-6 inches of clearance on all sides. Do not place your console inside an enclosed cabinet. Make sure that none of the console’s vents are blocked."

I can’t post links, but if you go to the official Xbox Support site, right on the main page there’s a link about setting up your new Xbox Series X|S console. You can read more there. A lot of people don’t know about that 4" of space needed, and that is important.

Provided you’ve done so, and followed the rest of the above, you should be good unless your console has a manufacturer defect. The current generation of consoles generate a lot of heat, but also have excellent overheating protection (they’ll shut down before damage is done). Having said that, if ventilation isn’t adequate, the console will struggle more to cool, thus louder fan noise.

I always recommend shutting the console down when you’re done playing, as that also let’s it cool down better. Xbox recommend the console be set to Shut Down as opposed to Sleep.

For my own part too, I rarely have something sitting in a Quick Resume state.

I also play a lot o Mortal Kombat 1, and I hope you’re enjoying the game!

Resurrecting a slightly older thread, but just wanted to mention I experienced this for the first time last night.

I finally got around to unlocking Nightmare and started going through Helltide Zones, and when I open the map in the them, my fan started getting quite loud. I wonder if it’s somehow linked to that?

I’m not too worried, mind you, so long as the fan is properly blowing and expelling heat it’s doing what it should, it’s just rather odd.

I plan to play on my older Xbox One X later and see if the fan in that console does the same.

That issue always apear when you are looking at map where Helltide is. Console is overheating then (Xbox Series X).

It’s not overheating if the fan is doing it’s job expelling the heat, but it does mean that that part of the game is pushing the console harder then normal.

Are you on Xbox Series X, and does this happen to you as well?

1 Like

Yes. Xbox Series X here.

1 Like

Cool. Does it happen for you every time?

I tried on both Xbox One X and Xbox Series X, and was unable to reproduce the issue yesterday evening and last night.

I have to check that.

1 Like

I have to check this out, I haven’t noticed any fan noise unless it’s been running with the door closed where it is at