Why the Spiritborn is not able to wielding 2 1H Sowrds or Axes?

Might be their version of a Diabo monk weapon from D3?

Itā€™s funnyā€¦people treat small things like ā€œBody Type(Druid meme) and Armorā€ as some high-end task of ā€œcomplete and total redesign!ā€ when itā€™s just auto-scaled based on core wire-framing and rendering that happens pretty much automatically regardless of ā€œsizeā€.

The ā€œDESIGNā€ itself, for an artist, isnā€™t even that intensive - whatā€™s hard is getting the flavor right, adhering to theme and making half a dozen or more for review and acceptance.

Once a model is in the system - armor, item, animation - itā€™s effectively interchangeable and malleable, scalable and fluid.

I doubt people notice that many animations in games donā€™t even involve the weapon(for instance) that the character is wielding.
Heck D3 - most animations ā€˜holsteredā€™ weapons. I havenā€™t bothered to look closely at D4 to see just how closely weapons themselves(all and type) and animations are tied into one another.
Is there ā€œholsteringā€ of a Weapon where in x frame and for Y frames a generic animation takes over and at Z completion the weapon reappears?
Itā€™s a design shortcut many games have used almost by doctrine and I donā€™t blame them.

Iā€™ll have to pay attention to D4 and see how frequently they take the shortcut.
funny though: Little old D2 USED the weapon/shield etc in every animation.
We must have lost that technology from then til now like the moon lander tech.

This seems like a bad decision overall as it locks out some uniques that are created for all classes from this class.

And in one of the previous campfires did they not say they wanted weapons to be less restricted by class?

1 Like

Yeah, looks like a daibo

Lets face it: no matter what they release, 99% of people on this forum will buy it, and they know it. :slight_smile:

Because it has to do with class. A rogue is the only choice for bow and arrow or crossbow. In every diablo game every class has its own class specific things. Donā€™t like the class donā€™t play it. Diablo isnā€™t the only game to do this. Most rpg games do this.

True, however season 5 patch will allow classes wearing weapon types which were forbidden currently, so makes no sense adding a class with less options right after this patch.

1 Like

Honestly, i was thinking the spiritborn would at least have a single 1 handed weapon slot, for a dagger or swordā€¦would make sense even if just cutting through jungle territory lol

I feel that loss for an aspect slot, and based on the changes coming in season 5 released by rob2628, I hope they adjust the main stats to reflect this lossā€¦like 1% damage per 7pt of dex
This would follow suite with 1% per 8pt main for sorc, necro, druid and 1% per 9pt main for rogue

I like how they revealed the class as being one of the only to be a 1H+Shield, and now they recently scrapped that too lol

I donā€™t recall Blizzard ever stating that. Do you have a clip of this video, somewhere in reference to Spiritborn???

Iā€™m looking but think the photo was taken down. There was definitely an artwork image of the Spiritborn previously holding a 1h glaive and a shield though. Similar to the one of them holding a 2h staff

I donā€™t recall it but the leak indeed stated 1h + shield. Either they changed it or was never correct.

1 Like

I think their weapon of choice fits the design of the class. The weapon flows nicely with the animations that were shown on the game play video. Sadly we only seen the class using the double sided glaive.

Curious how weapon slots are going to play out is it just one for 2 hander?

Watching the video on the gorilla gameplay they stated this would be more bruiser type spirit that revolves around building resolve and its going to be more of a tank build in D4

Because the devs say so.

I agree, he should be able to use claws or even bare handsā€¦ but maybe itā€™s something that is planned for another character or expansion, though I doubt there will be more ā€œmartial artā€ fighters.

On the contrary, I think if they allowed it to wield all the types of 2H wouldā€™ve been really cool

The 2H sword working for Jaguar and Eagle, The Axe and Scythe for the Centipede, and the Mace/Hammer for the Gorilla

Think this wouldā€™ve been wayy cooler, but weā€™ll see what happens

1 Like

I do have to say it seems weird that the new class can only use two weapon types while on the latest campfire devs were opening up more weapon types for all classesā€¦ I guess the expansion and the live team didnā€™t talk much to each other

4 Likes

What is a spear if not a pointy stick?

Here is why: The devs wanted it that way.

1 Like

Iā€™ve searched, canā€™t find anything, even with Way Back Machine.

Hereā€™s some I found:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0511/9587/1385/files/diablo-4-vessel-of-hatred-steelbook-artwork.jpg?v=1718126680
Here, the mercenary has a shield.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2Fanyone-technical-enough-to-get-a-high-definition-screencap-v0-edr480hp2fdd1.png%3Fwidth%3D2559%26format%3Dpng%26auto%3Dwebp%26s%3Dcaf4a95f1f8a5075ae36d3124d1ea74685637559
Here, the Spiritborn has her arm out front as if there were a shield. But no shield.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkJqk35VudWNwWiWsEieZMhXCY0qWtzBAWZA&usqp=CAU
Just a pointy stick here.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/2642127-Leak
Early leak here (almost a year old!) with zero mention of any 1h weapons or shields.

Take all that for what you will. I do believe in the Mandela Effect, though!