Why no single player

Again, people are going to hack the game with or without offline mode. If bliz is going to let them get away with it, then that is on them. Plus, they have more incentive to moderate this game harder due to the cash shop if nothing else.

Pretty sure bliz just gave up on D3 if it is proven that the top seasonal characters are all with hacked gear, since they were banning people for a while even if you had an item on console that someone dropped and you picked up, I know this because I got a temp ban for picking up an item dropped by some rando that joined my game on PS3 before I even knew that people were modding gear and transferring it to consoles. (They of course removed all of the modded items)

Either way saying that a feature that a lot if not the majority want should not be added to the game due to the possibility that someone might cheat in this day and age… Come on…

Once again mark my words there will be cheaters no matter what. I defy you to name me one single game where there are none.

That’s how it’s been for all but D4.
As long as I don’t have to group for content, I am fine with it being online. Despite server issues.

New to Diablo.

But why is that such a huge problem?
This is a pve only game right?

Does it really tank everyone else’s experience if a minority of players get the best gear/weapons/mods etc without grinding?

Obviously no game is cheat proof, but they are trying to mitigate it as much as possible. Having it online only helps.

WOW may have botters, but how often do you see players with hacked items in that game? Or what about players that are unkillable? I have yet to see anything like that.

Offline mode makes it easier to do it. Having to log into their servers to access the game helps reduce the possibility of hacked exploits.

1 Like

There are 2 PVP zones in the game, so if someone has hacked items or characters, they would be able to kill everyone without fear of dying themselves.

Personally, I don’t do much PVP, so it wouldn’t affect me much.

Most game developers do not condone cheating in their games, so I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised that Blizzard would do what they could to at least try to stop people from doing it.

Bringing a modded character online is no more difficult to detect than it is to detect one attempting to be modded while the game is running online.

Anti-Cheat works by looking for modified files weather currently being modified or modified before coming online. And really good Anti-Cheat also looks for variables that are not possible by normal means Ex. Gear with uber stats or players taking massive damage with nowhere near enough heals/mitigation to survive and not dying.

You may not see them in WoW but that is because they are auto banned for unauthorized modding by their anti-cheat. With a quick google search you can find “Private”(unauthorized and hacked) servers that allow characters to cheat. Bots are harder to prove as they act like normal people (Except never stop doing the task they are set to) and more often than not have not modded any game files or done anything to the character.

If it is still going on in D3 than Bliz has just given up on that game. D2R is still being moderated but probably not forever either since it also is not bringing in any new money.

The incentive here to stay on top of cheaters should have led them to implement similar anti-cheat software as is in WoW meaning any modded characters or items entering the online server would be insta deleted or if not detected as soon as reported locked for investigation.

An Ex. of this recently would be the duping incident at the begging of D2R that was quickly fixed so that any duped items entering the game were insta deleted.

1 Like

But they WONT use that many resources to moderate it and unless it’s implemented the game will die like D3 fast.

You are basing everything on “if they do this it will be fine”.

But they won’t do that so basically you are telling us that want to keep cheating to the absolute closest to zero it can get to just “ignore” the cheating.

Well, when that cheating affects our favorite mode of play (seasons) you might as well ask 70% of the playerbase to just go to a different game.

D3 did not die fast, it is still going 10 years later.

You are basing everything on 'They won’t do this, so it won’t be fine" You must be a lot of fun at parties.

No one is saying ignor the cheaters. Report them.

The only possible effect this could have on Seasons if Bliz was to do NOTHING is where your name is on a list that is meaningless and will be deleted when the next list is written, this is not Esports. This would have no effect on anyone’s ability to acquire all of the ONLY cosmetics that Bliz has said will be offered in the seasons.

And if people are going to cheat in PVP and Bliz is going to do NOTHING like you keep saying that is going to happen no matter what so buckle up.

Man, I have very little faith in Bliz but you just wow. Just flat out saying that they are not going to do anything about cheaters.

Also if Bliz is doing nothing about cheaters, how many of the 1000 names on that statue do you think actually ligit got to 100 on HC first?

Exactly. I was someone who hated online, the idea of it when i was younger during original D2. Eventually you learn to adapt to how things are now. Its 2023, the idea of offline is old, weird and ancient.

D3 did die fast. Just because you found some buddies to play with does not mean it’s an active game. I believe most of the leaderboards being hacked for many years proves that and the fact D2 has more players than it did in the late stages before D2R came out even.

Also they WONT do it. Not being negative just stating facts. I’ve been with the Diablo series since 1997 I’ve seen it all and know for a fact they rarely go hard after cheaters in this series past year 2-3 on any of the Diablo games. It’s just history man.

In D2’s glory days even we literally had duped sojs. Ith weapons and all kinds of altered items. That’s D2.

Last month D3 had a higher average player count than Path of Exile so not dead. For your other assumption I have not played D3 in well over a year so keep projecting.

Data? Interviews, posts anything to back this up as fact? No? then pure assumption and negativity.

Cool story I played D1 around 97 also.

None of the past Diablo games had Cash shops or any plans to bring in money past base game sales and DLC.

And once again if they are going to do nothing then buckle up because it is going to happen no matter what. And if it is going to happen no matter what by your logic, then what is the point of not adding the most asked for feature?

That happens to EVERY previous installment before the next installments launch the excitement makes the numbers go up.(been around since 97 eh? You should know this then).

Data? Sure look at every game as far back as you can go. Once again “97” but don’t understand the fact this happens with every game EVEN when I listed very specific things they let go on for multiple seasons during D2’s prime. (Google Ith weapon just for a start)

So let’s do a very short list(maybe 1/100th of what was allowed)

D1:
Duping
Hacked weapons
TP kill crash
Packet senders
Trainers

D2:
Trainers
Map hacks(they did crack down on these)
Soj duping
Rune duping
Aura glitch
Ith weapons

D3:
Hacked weapons
Trainers/character editors

These are all easy to verify. Most of us who have been around have seen it all.

As far as cash shops. You are correct they have a reason to protect this game more. When they do then you can argue for a single player mode and hey you’d deserve it too! Whatever it takes to make the game fun for you.

And you are right they will eventually give up on trying. That’s when the playerbase drops.

I’d like to add I’m not AGAINST offline entirely. I am against it if it isn’t done well enough to protect leaderboards.

The player count for D3 yesterday was more than 2x that of Path of Exile’s average player count for the entire month of May. You know the same day D4 was fully released.

Once again you are basing what is going to happen on this game that has plans to keep bringing in money for years to come on past games that only had base game sales and some DLC. This is in no way proof or fact as to what will happen with this game it is pure assumption.

What has and what will are two very different things. the incentive is much higher than it ever has been for this series.

Everything about this contradicts every argument you have been making as to what is fact.

Any Anti-cheat they have for the game is already in place, sure it may need updates like everything else because cheaters are always finding new ways around anti-cheat, but they are already protecting the game. If they were not protecting the game, then anyone could argue that most if not all of the first 1000 HC characters did not make it to 100 ligit.

That was you bud.

No one is arguing for cheaters to be able to ruin anything.

You are the one that keeps saying that it is “Fact” that Bliz “Won’t” do anything. With your “Data” that makes this “Fact” things that happened on pervious games.

Let me ask you something. If your mail person has shown up every day right at 3pm on the dot for 2 weeks in a row, dose that make it a fact that they will show up at 3pm tomorrow?

If you have never been in a car crash, dose that make it a fact that you never will?

If you get shot and survive, dose that make it a fact that you will survive being shot again?

What has happened may be fact but what will happen is pure assumption no matter what has happened.

1 Like

If my mail person comes around 3 every day and it is his habit then yes he will follow very close to that habit as long as it’s the same individual.

Currently It’s the same company so yes I have absolutely no reason to believe they will change.

Does the cash shop alter things? Perhaps. That is my HOPE. But hopes and wishes don’t erase the historical facts and practices the company has had for 26 years with this series. To think it does is naive.

We all have hopes. Especially us that love this game series but to make those hopes reality it will take an entire shift in business practices and after recent backtracking of an ethical nature I doubt these HOPES are top priority for them.

As far as D3 vs PoE numbers tell me about it after a month has passed. Some people haven’t been paid yet and I know for a fact they haven’t been outdoing them that long since PoE is literally a top 10 mmo population wise and has been for years (even though I personally hate it.) Also when is the next patch for PoE? That will also alter things I’m sure.

These are precisely why I’m glad D4 is online only.
If they’re doing a WoW model for Diablo from now on, one can hope they’re going to take every precaution possible to prevent cheats.

2 Likes

Single player (offline) games still have a very prominent space in gaming, especially within the ARPG genre, but every franchise has to switch things up eventually. I still prefer to be able to play offline, but D4 is still an excellent game, one that I accept for its new approach.

1 Like