Why is there no general chat?

people not wanting a chat, you can toggle it off… let other people have their fun with it

12 Likes

Agreed! times 100x!!!

2 Likes

You might be on to something. There is “cycling” of channels with Tab functionality and explanations, so they had more than 1 “local” chat in mind at least at some point, which when I type in the text appears above my head and I don’t know if its even visible in chat panel. I see it from myself, but who knows :wink:

On the other hand this might be for party and whisper cycling. Seems mega strange to be unable to communicate in multiplayer game.

1 Like

Why not just let is opt into global chat channels? Or at least talk in zone chat? It could be off by default for the grinches.

4 Likes

I’ll just copy what I Put in the other similar thread about this lol…

I agree with OP I really wish more people did chat in game. I am old but I still have very fond memories of the original Battle.net client that came with the first Diablo. The chat rooms were awesome. Sure some people would just whine and argue but you also had lots of cool conversations on builds and just general game play stuff.

I would love it if Blizzard would bring something like that back. Even if it’s not “in game” and was just a separate lobby so people who didn’t want to be bothered by chat or other people would suffice. Actually, that’d be closer to the original Battle.net and I’d even prefer it.

2 Likes

local chat does work it’s just that no one responds. I’m guessing it’s all the console players. i got one response after like 15 “does chat work” attempts. honestly it seems like crossplay is going to destroy the social aspect of the game because of this. we’re all just mishmashed together which means a high number of console players with no way to chat.

1 Like

It’s a fair point but I think you can disable crossplay and cross communication in the settings.

No, you are not missing something. People can’t behave while behind a screen and/or keyboard.

I welcome the absence of all chat wholeheartedly, even if you can switch it off. There is no such thing as decency, manners or common sense anymore concerning online activity, or even real world facts. Social media has taken care of that.

1 Like

would be glorious to have one.

nothing like being entertained by the randoms in a global chat while you do your thing. i feel like something’s missing without it.

it’s the one thing making me miss poe.

if poe has it and manages to moderate it, d4 can as well.

3 Likes

I meant the chat rooms but glad there is others that think the RMAH was a good thing

1 Like

I just found out there is an option to join Trade chat. In Social section. So they might add General in the future?

Neither is D3, neither is PoE and many other games that end up having a chat function built in.

1 Like

This is a trash take. Just because you want to censor everything doesn’t mean that’s what should happen.

3 Likes

I thought I was missing something when poking around the chat settings looking for a means to enable it. But, I found nothing and came looking here for a reason as to why there was no general chat. The chat just feels empty to me. Come on, Blizzard.

3 Likes

Blizzard doing its part to cure cancer.

1 Like

Actually I do like it so far. No spamming chat bots and I can hit E and chat at someone if I want to. The idea of town having open chat is nice though and I wouldn’t mind that at all. That way, if one is busy slaying monsters, your screen isn’t filled up and view blocked. That used to be annoying! The shop is a nice idea, everyone pays the same price and gets what they expect. Better than inflated prices, third party sites and such. If someone wants a particular item and is willing to pay for it, we all pay the same. It’s fair for all.

3 Likes

Yes. Chat is like in WoW. Hit your Enter key. There’s a zone chat called Local. There’s Trade chat if you turn it on and Party chat if you’re in a group. Tab cycles through the channels.

2 Likes

reasons i don’t use general chat in wow nr 1.

Global chat would just be filled with Chuck Norris jokes.

1 Like

Because people behaving like NPCs. i kinda like the no general chat though. It makes the immersion of feeling alone. Stronger.

2 Likes