Why does Diablo 2 feel more enjoyable

D2 is the superior game and they should make an expansion. Maybe just erase immortal and start the story there.

1 Like

Must be great to be an ignorant, 0 standards nublizz defender. D2 set the standard for what arpg’s could become
D4 is nowhere near as an addicting long term experience.

Hey peeps, D4 is pretty good. I like D2, D3, and D4. What this guy is saying are valid questions.

• Camera - I have noticed this same thing as well. The only thing that improved this for me was playing with multiple monitors in a nvidia surround setup. I could see much more of the map this way. It has a lot to do with your monitor, resolution, and scaling.

• Social Aspect - I really enjoy how you chat and your character is there. I also like communicating in game in D2, but for some reason it doesn’t feel the same in D4. Not sure why. Maybe lack of channels?

• Item Drop - I think the items drop reasonably well, but the affixes really are terrible and not interesting. It seems like they are way way way more basic and not very interesting. .5% more armor per hit up to 30% is just not that much fun. Even though in game this is good, it just doesn’t sound as good and less epic then D3.

• End Game - This is probably the most important point. I have asked this question as well.

Because you have rose colored goggles on for the game.

Grinding Baal a million times is not setting the standard. Having your inventory completely full of charms is not setting the standard. Freaking runewords were simply terrible.

Pointing at D2 as the ideal standard is incredibly dumb. You might as well point at a Model T and screech, “why can’t all cars be like this?”

D2R is right there waiting for you to go play it.

Honk Honk :clown_face:

2 Likes

And you think D4 is a goid game in 2023. Talk about extremely low standards.
Honk, honk :clown_face:

2 Likes

Most of it is nostalgia. The game was a new concept in a much different time. Most of the player base was young, new to online gaming, and clueless.

Now we’re all older, have played everything to death for 20+ years, and figure out games very quickly.

If Diablo 2 never existed and launched today as it is, it would be no more than a blip on the radar like most ARPGs. There are so many flaws in the design by modern standards.

D2 haters keep using the “if it was released today” argument like thats a win or something.

Obviously QoL and game features have come a long way in 20+ years.

If D2 released today with all of its good stuff in tact + fixing all the outdated systems it would be a badass arpg.

2 Likes

because d2 existed in an era where its design space was hampered by technological limitations and not by a desire to appeal to a wide audience.

technological limitations are unfortunately a good thing because it makes it more difficult for designers to put lipstick on a pig. they had to actually make all the systems solid because players wouldn’t be distracted by flashy graphics.

and of course wide audience appeal is equivalent to eating hospital food, in all cases. which means food that is tolerable yet dull and boring and inoffensive.

1 Like

Because the answer is simple, diablo 2 respects your time.

D4 does not everything you do in D4 feels like a chore I have level 3 characters so far.

My barb was 55 before they nerfed barb into the ground, then I rerolled necro, then they nerfed necro into the ground, now I have a 57 sorceress and I got burned out with the tedious grind from 1-50 which feels ridiculously unrewarding.

No real sense or feel of progression because upgrades are non-existent, no feeling of getting stronger it feels like every level I get I am only getting weaker.

All of this just makes me feel like my time isn’t being respected and so have went back to Last epoch, until POE2 releases I might give D4 another chance with season one but if it don’t keep me interested well that’s just it I won’t bother with the rest of the seasons.

also diablo 4 feels like a dead MMO atm and if I wanted anything MMO like I would play Lost Ark.

1 Like

The lack of global chat and a group finder is making D4 feel empty to me.

I want to do dungeons and helltides and whispers with other players, but I have to go to discord and spam my account tag to the world, and maybe once a week someone actually messages me.

It’s just a poor design.

1 Like

This I honestly feel like the lack of grouping, global chat was a step back from D3 people always complained that D3 global was full of trolls and toxicity but you have that in every game not just diablo.

there are no real means to group in game unless you already have friends playing.

Equally old man here to make commentary on your comments :slight_smile:

I tried several times using Discord, and it is just painful to get a group of 20 some crypto bruh morons. One thing to see chat (which takes time and effort) but another when it is so easy to just blather on some stupidity. Count this in top 3 of idiotic decisions by Blizzard, the fact we have no in game chat, no in game party finder, nothing.

Remember when a gold item dropping got you excited? I was fine with D3’s direction of having drops per person and not the entire party/game. That was kind of a hectic nightmare in D2 to have everyone rush for the same drops. It is ironic that Uniques are no longer unique, but rather bland junk that now becomes a chore to pick up and take to salvage. Why do we salvage or sell? Because 99.99% of everything is just junk, just boring bland lazy % everything in the world. There was no deep thought put into the items. The items are just shallow and dull, and it is obvious that no effort was made. Shame on Blizzard, SHAME

Blame D3 dev team for this. Blame Blizzard for laziness. They thought if everything was BOA and trading ceased, then the bots would go away. No effort to actually do something about preventing bots, just take trading away. Banks get robbed, so the solution is to do away with banks. Trading use to be one of my favorite end-games…

One thing I miss most with D2 was the end-game. How can a game with no real end-game have more of an end-game? Simple, in D2 we had both chat and trade, so there was always activity. Just joining a Baal run by a bot is more social than D4 by leaps and bounds. Think about that. Back pre-1.10 what did we do but endless Cow games, yet even that was more fun than now. D3 was bad in setting party/game limit to 4, then moving chat window to smaller area and mixing that with the eventlog. Now you can only realistically say something to someone if they are right next to you, hope they see it, and worst of all hope they have a keyboard.

Fact of the matter is, they took a classic PC game and made it for couch potato console players, which also helps explain why this series has become so shallow and bland.

2 Likes

its a catch 22 really, if they made expansions and better seasons people would really have played “longer than a week” but they went the lazy route and made small adjustments during seasons so yes thats why you only play for a short time and then move on.

I enjoyed D3, i think the thing that was missing was the “major” changes that came with new seasons. I was always hoping for more legendaries, more sets, full on new mechanic additions (like POE usually does).

They took Diablo 3, smashed the world together so it’s one open environment, and took out the endgame (crafting, set pieces, uber bosses) and then repackaged it for us to bend over and spread our cheeks.

A kotaku interviews was published years ago with a former Blizz employee who said the upper management at Blizz viewed D3 as an utter failure because the player base fell off so hard, and rather than finish the expansion they were already working on, they scrapped it and started on D4.

The first iteration was actually a 3rd person Souls type game in the Diablo-verse, which I personally think would be incredible (although Blizz doesn’t seem capable of nailing any bit of itemization like they did in D2), but the Creative Lead who developed the expansion was the guy working on that iteration, and he quit mid development, so they started over on what we now have.

1 Like

True, but that’s why trade exists. You can trade things for other things to get what you want.

Either loot rains, or it’s rare but you can trade. That’s how things work.

1 Like

Remove enigma and give teleport cooldown. Lets see how D2 plays then.

All this talk about how D2 did this or set that… and yet D2R is DOA.

Endgame, D2?
What endgame, D2 has NO endgame. After you beat the game, D2 is nothing but a sandbox, and that sandbox consists of farming the same bosses hundreds of time to get one piece of gear.
Or you can grind to 100 and finish out your skills.
That’s all.
At least in D4 there is some choice in how you grind out levels and gear. Granted, some of those choices need some work, but I would rather have some choice in how I play after the campaign rather than killing the same bosses over and over again. The irony is, most hardcore D2 players complain about how repetitive D4 is, but have zero problems farming the same bosses hundreds of times.

If D2 was released today, it would bomb, horribly bomb. It’s slow and clunky, there is no endgame, it’s simple, a basic story with a good twist. Don’t get me wrong, I really liked D2, it helped pass down time in Afghanistan. For it’s time it was the pinnacle of ARPGs, the gold standard. Now it’s a game based solely on nostalgia, a A or AA release at best.

D4, despite it’s problems, is a far superior game than D2.