What's happened to Rogues?

Rogue was always fav class since the betas but I skipped it this season after running a Barb. I’ve not been following the online stuff, but, I tried a Rogue again and it is like I am doing little damage and have terrible energy generation. What did they do?!

1 Like

I guess some of it depends what level you are. Im level 87 I believe heh, I havent really felt I’ve had any energy issues. I play ranged rapid fire and sometimes mix in pen shot, shadow imbue, or poison trap depending on what content im running. I also played twisting blade like 20 or 30 levels prior and don’t remember many issues with energy.

You can alleviate energy issues a bit with some of the passive talents and certain perks on gear. When I run shadow imbue I take 1 or 2 points in the shadow passive to refund 10 energy on kill. Even when im not using shadow imbue I still don’t feel like I have any problems with energy.

What spec or abilities are you using mainly ?

1 Like

Nothing happened energy wise, just a DPS drop due to Key Passive Close Quarters Combat nerfed from 40 to 10% increase. Key Passive Precision got buffed though, Exposure however still doesn’t do any damage with the grenades, same with Victimize not dealing proper damage

Also TB aspect hits 2 times instead of 3 now, and doesn’t deal 100% damage with poison anymore

2 Likes

Thanks, maybe I’m just too burnt out for this season already and it is just not gelling with me as before. Playing my lightning storm druid to 52 put me to sleep several times lol. That barb was fun, though, and I wasn’t using damn charge lol

1 Like

The Gods decided rogue was too powerful and were no longer the favored children of sanctuary. So they took away all their toys and left them with…a chance to re-roll as Barbs.

3 Likes

It’s true, Evil Gods, playing Rogue is far from fun. I remember that in S2, they said they wouldn’t nerf HOTA, because people were having fun… They should reverse that logic with the rogue, and do something in S3…

2 Likes

Make inner sight Permanently grant the 20% of core skill damage or something, also buff preparation!

Now you can just play a crossbow (yt is your friend) and one shot all the game without even using overpower, how fun…

its the after effect of playing a barb. that class is broken OP and after playing it, rogue feel weak. was enjoying rogue much more until i tried barb in s2…

2 Likes

There actually could be some truth to this. For the first time ever in D4 I actually felt powerful using my Barb :slight_smile: However, I always played a Rogue since the betas and now it just seems…off. Hopefully the intemisation changes (next season?) will make me love the game again.

1 Like

They announcing changes next week for classes so hopefully Rogue gets some love

2 Likes

…just came back to Rogue after dealing with the mental gymnastics that is Sever/Blightmancer. Damage seems more insane than I remember, although I suspect it’s because I finally decided to try Flash of Adrenaline. I don’t even have any Uber Uniques or Uber Tuning Stones yet.

Rogue just feels like the worst class for sure right now, all of the dmg really hides behind combo point and sometimes one other action or skill so it is a higher skill class sure.

But the way the dmg hides behind this just feels clunky, and the defense is the worst on any character by far (yes played them all to 100).

I just dont get it, DH in D3 was a beast dmg wise and still more squishy this rogue dmg doesnt even feel on par with Sorc, and my Sorc gets barriers for days.

1 Like

Funny how people can just complain or try to compare Rogue with other classes without even trying to optimize.

Last season I played a Barb; this season, for the first time ever, I played a Rogue, and here’s how it’s going:

• I don’t ever got any Uber gear;
  • I did an original build;
  • I one shot all world bosses;
  • I one shot all uber bosses (without overpower, including Malphas);
  • I did all T100s vaults/dugeons with my same build that I one shot all Uber bosses;
  • I did T100s without using any unique.

I have a personal yt channel; just search for me if you doubt it. If Blizzard sees my videos, I think Rogue will be nerfed, not buffed.

I agree that other classes are way overturned:

• Barb is so defensive and should not have that absurd amount of EASY DPS;
  • Sorcerers should not have infinite teleport, wtf!?;
  • Classes having guarantee overpower (absurd);
    …and the list goes on.

About Rogues, of course I agree with some buffs, like the imbuement change to duration, buffs to bows (crossbows are glitched at the moment and doing 3x more damage than a Skyhunter), or at least some Qols, like why the button is not grayed out when I already have 2 imbuement charges!?

Listen, Rogue requires some dedication, the rotation is not as easy as in other classes, and the defense is finicky, but he is far, far away from bad.

Play shadow penshot and rapid fire. It will be more than allright to nuke everything from 100+ NM dungeon to bosses. But you have to forget TB for now on.

Can you explain the glitch about Cbows? What is bugged at the moment that I don’t know about?

You can read about it here:

1 Like

Fix is supposedly on the way already even though Sorcs and Barbs got to run wild all last season. Clown world.

Hear me out, my guess is you’re running combo points and Rapid Fire. My biggest problem with Rogue at the moment is the lack of support or aspects for inner sight and preparation. Combo playstyle has always been strong and ofc Banished Lords talisman with RF or even Pen Shot is OP with updated Precision. 2/3 of the class is underpowered imo.

Compared to other classes the Rogue gets very few Rogue specific options for xx% damage increases.

Outside of a few Core skill Aspects (Encircling Blades, Bladedancer’s and Trickshot). They get Aspect of Corruption to increase Imbue Damage potency to vulnerable enemies. Something with a low uptime.

Every other aspect the Rogue has is just a chance to do flat damage (Which to even get max damage you need to get it on a high Item Power item).
Expectant and Condemnation increase xx% but only for the Combo Point playstyle, leaving Inner Sight and Preparation with very little options.

A few simple class changes could really make some impact to the class for all 3 specs.

• Make Imbuements a 4 second buff that imbues all damage you. Greatly increases imbue uptime and making better use of elemental damage effects.
  • Shadowstep not needing a target to use and possibly having 2 charges by default. Making it at least somewhat comparable to Teleport for the Sorcerer.
  • Make every Grenade skill/aspect a trap by default. No need for the aspect.
  • Switch Concealment and Caltrops location. Concealment feels more like an Agility skill and now all Subterfuge skills are traps.
  • Rogue feel very squishy compared to the other classes, since they lack Barrier and Fortify. Dodge and Stealth seem to miss the mark defensively.
  • Change the Imbue/Grenade Aspects to do xx% damage instead of flat damage.

As a side note

Ultimates:
Shadowclones really need to function better, maybe spawn two clones slightly behind you that mimic your abilities. For range core skill they would fire extra projectiles but for melee core skills they could increase the damage/area of the skill.
Rain of Arrows still feels flow to cast.

Key Passives:
For being called Close Quarter Combat, it seems unusual that you need to use a marksmen skill. Forces melee to use Puncture for this Passive.
By the time Victimize goes off, everything is dead already.

Paragon Board:
Some of the Legendary nodes are just too far away from the actually stuff you would use.