What is the point of leveling up?

As far as I can tell, everyone is just as strong as everyone else vs. any mob in the world, everywhere I go. This game is really strange. I was fighting a world event with a level 9 guy and I’m level 29, and he sees all the mobs as level 9 while I see them as level 29, and we do just the same amount of damage to them. There’s literally no difference between us except cosmetic. I’m using slightly different abilities and have different looking armor, but my level 29 guy is equal in strength to the level 9 guy. I don’t get it. Levels are an illusion in this game. They aren’t real.

“Level scaling” completely eliminates levels. I’m level 33 now and I have yet to see a mob that didn’t exactly equal my own level. So why even have levels? Why give the illusion of HP and armor etc? It’s all fake. You power up, the rest of the game powers up with you, it just cancels it out. You can’t gain an edge and you can’t fall behind. You’re always stuck in the same place, and you’re no better or worse than anyone else in the game.

That’s my experience so far.

This is like Diablo for Communists.

149 Likes

pretty dumb, right??

54 Likes

Damage is all percentage based, its really the only way to make the illusion of grouping with a level 9 friend at level 50… ect… I imagine XP is handled the same way.

2 Likes

What is the point of leveling up?

To keep up with the monsters’ levels. See, it’s not us leveling up, it’s the monsters. We just get a free skill point each time they gain a new level.
/s

19 Likes

Skill points and paragon points

6 Likes

you level up so you can reach 100 which is where the endgame begins.

Let me know when you find out what that i s.

5 Likes

I like grinding for gear but actually afraid to level up lol

20 Likes

I’ve come to dread leveling up. Instead of watching the bar fill and thinking "nice, I’ll be a bit stronger soon, I’m thinking, “damn, I hope I don’t level before the next boss fight”.

56 Likes

I don’t mind the level scaling. It’s the gear that is the issue. I’m not sure why there aren’t more tiers of gearing between the point you enter WT4 and level 100 - and tiers meaning the base stats have a higher min and max roll available so you actually progress in power. An item you get at level 60-70 potentially never being replaced until level 100 is incredibly silly.

Should be something like Sacred gear drops between 600-725 ilvl. Ancestral 725-850. A new tier after that is 850-975. Take crit strike damage as an example for roll values:

Sacred: 10-20%
Ancestral: 15-30%
Tier After: 25-40%

The min roll of each tier is still below the max of the previous tier, but the new max enables you to actually improve your items and get stronger.

6 Likes

Gear wouldn’t be an issue if not for level scaling. Just sayin…

11 Likes

That’s true, but the scaling exists because of how they designed the open world, right? So probably easier to deal with gear over scaling unless they scrap being able to see other players in the open.

I think either way the gear would need to change, cause there’s pretty much no change to gear progression between 70-100 regardless.

20 bucks says you never would have notice this was an issue unless someone pointed it out to you.

Because most people would think “oh my gear is falling behind I better grab some upgrades ASAP”

People literally getting mad about scaling when it’s just they aren’t updating gear

7 Likes

That’s a polite way to put it, yes. I say it’s laziness cuz level scaling it the absolute most lazy method to counter player power progression. Your phrasing is more polite. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So are you mailing that $20 to TheCheese now or you gonna back out of it?

Literally no one with eyes would think that.

Where does this even come from? Even without scaling people would be upgrading their gear as they level up. Such a baseless assumption on your part.

5 Likes

Because people don’t generally assume they are getting weaker as they go along they assume the monsters are getting stronger and if the monsters are getting stronger which is what you expect when you progress in a game to the point at where you struggle you then know you haven’t updated your gear in 10 levels hence why you suck.

I didn’t even know scaling existed in this game, the only points my character ever felt weaker whilst levelling was when I was using level 25 weapons at level 45 then from the break point going to world tier 3 and 4.

Levelling up in world tier 4 I’ve outpaced what ever scaling exists in the game by such a margin I’d kill for a world tier 5.

Scaling isn’t an issue, players are the issue.

4 Likes

I hate scaling so much to think this is the same company who made great levelling experiences such as vanilla WoW. What went wrong?

5 Likes

What’s going wrong is people are making it sound like a problem when most of it can be fixed by throwing some basic legendary affix’s on your gear or going to the black smith and pressing the upgrade button 3 times on your weapons

4 Likes

Unless the monsters in the area you just left are keeping up with your level. As I said, anyone with eyes.

I get it, you want to defend a horrible system and belittle anyone that can see it for the trash it is. You are the problem.

6 Likes

The same thing that would be done without level scaling because zone would progressively increase in level as you move from one to the next. Instead of the scaling method where that wolf you fought outside the cave at level 1 is still the same level you are 50 levels later.

2 Likes

I’m literally not the problem/

This system is invisible to most likely the majority of the player base.

We played the exact same game.

There are two players playing the game, both have the system of scaling

Player A is impacted by scaling, player A gains levels and lowers their kill times per level.

Player B is impacted by scaling, player B kills mobs slower and increases their kill times per level.

If this is the case, is it the fault of scaling or player B, considering player A managed to overcome scaling?

2 Likes