Wasn't "succeed after failing" fun? (Tempering)

I think this is all getting a bit out of hand.

It’s absolutely fine to think a system could be improved and discuss, make suggestions etc. to that end.

Some players just don’t have all the time in the world but would still like to feel they can at least have a chance to make some progress on their character even when they only have an hour or two to play. And when they feel like they have a chance to make progress but then get nowhere, it feels bad because they made no progress today.

The current system sets us up for that by having very powerful affixes in hit/miss manuals. I could be wrong, but I don’t think most people are complaining because they got Crit Damage instead of Cold damage when they temper.

They are talking about getting Blizzard Size or Ice Shards 5x when your build is Frozen Orb and your current item has an effective +30% multiplicative bonus which GAs just don’t overcome.

I think the best solution I have seen or can think of so far is to improve the manuals so they are less hit/miss. Maybe nerf the super powerful affixes a bit at the same time so others will have some sort of parity.

They still might not work out at the very high end, there will always come a time when the chances to get an upgrade become miniscule. But at least on the way up you stand a better chance of using the potentially great upgrades you find, albeit with non-optimal but still useful tempers.

4 Likes

I like this. I like this a lot. Why wasn’t tempering manuals implemented this way in the first place?

Imagine Imprinting working like tempering, you get 5 chances to imprint an aspect and each time it’s a random roll from among 3-5 aspects in a group. People defending the current tempering limits should push for this new imprinting system. :3

not fun! would play more if i knew that this epic GA 3 item drop then to farm for hours just to have it bricked

I mean tempering helps you no matter what you roll anyway. It is always a buff.

That’s really only true at lower levels, I think the complaints are mostly WRT level 100 content.

If you have a 0GA item with the right base affixes which rolls well on the Weapon temper, it’s got something like a 30% multiplicative bonus. Even a 3GA with the right affixes probably doesn’t beat that if it whiffs on tempering, the Weapon temper specifically.

Not sure from memory what the other options are if any. Is it possible to choose a different manual which isn’t hit/miss? TBH I don’t think I have looked as I always focused on getting the best affix. If that does at least exist, so you have an alternative which will almost certainly give you something decent albeit reasonably inferior to the Weapon affixes, then the Weapon affixes could be seen as aspirational high-risk affixes.

So when you get your first 3GA weapon, you can play it safe to make sure it’s a decent upgrade albeit imperfect. Maybe you get that with Tempers still remaining. Then if you find another, you can try the high-risk manual on that.

Lots of way they could go which would improve things. Complaining about bricked items would be less reasonable if there were safer yet sub-optimal manual options.

To be fair, the devs did say they want to keep expanding on the Tempering manuals so maybe this is what they envisage but just didn’t have time to implement/test yet. Or maybe it’s already that way and we are overlooking it.

Not when you hit an affix for a skill you don’t use on your build. :frowning:

How is move speed while blood mist a buff for someone who doesn’t use blood mist?

2 Likes

Tempering in this game is dumpster fire of rng mechanics … Why not make it like changes affixes on a gear pick from 3 in a random list and let us not change it if it sucks… I’ve literally got the same temper 5 times in a row … bs

I think a good alternative to the system would be to let us choose the affix and have the roll range be the rng part, that way it sucks less and there’s still the rng part so it’s not instantly good.

No. Spend minimal resources to improve a piece of code based on numbers and balance that are known to the developers and only improving the ID system of an Item.

(All items start with 5 attempts, and that is surely part of their ID because it remembers how many attempts are left on an item… just create one line of code that places a 6 instead of a 5 when you press a button and another additional line that uses the second system if the number is 6 or greater. The game even knows how to recognize when you have 0 attempts because it blocks the item… you can even reuse that line of code to identify a different condition and change the result. It’s not magic… it’s a “problem solving” that any programming novice can solve for you. Literally the first thing they teach you anywhere is how to copy and paste.)

Instead of letting a large portion of your players suffer.

False.
Only if you use general manuals It is always useful. There are manuals that can give you useless stats for your current build.

1 Like

It still makes blood mist better. Just switch your build if it bothers you that much.

Masterworking in and of itself is a contained system that you do not need to interact with at all to complete all other content in the game (some builds cant do pinnacle bosses without it i suppose)

its super annoying when u finaly drop almost a perfect item which is already super rare and then u brick it taking the fun out of dropping something good,because it turns into vendor trash and if u have a good item and u roll good enaughe stat(lowest but correct type) u may never touch it again…
And! its seem to be weighted which makes it even more frustrating if u got only 5 rolls

1 Like

My lord, now we’re suffering!

If the game is so painful why the heck are you still here several days later arguing?

You need some help.

1 Like

I have 3 toons 2 of them have 3g/a weapons with the rolls i want. I have a couple stored up i might sell. I prob only bricked 2 and that was trying to reroll for a different build. I do notice that some affixes are harder to get but other then that not to many problems with the system.

But it doesn’t make your current build better. That is the point.

You’re not going to constantly change your build just because you found a random item with a random stat. If you do, your build will most likely get worse.

The only type of player who does it is the one who has no idea about the game and is trying things… And even a novice would understand that receiving an attribute that you don’t want is bad.

We?? You are not part of those affected. You can’t use “We”.

:man_facepalming:
It is not obvious? It’s because I want it not to be “so painful”.
And it’s a piece of the game, NOT THE WHOLE game.

First “we” and then the whole game… you were possessed by the demon of the fallacy by generalization (or some other weird cousin of his). You have lost all sense of logic…

And you need better arguments, more time thinking and better ways to try to insult me.

1 Like

I’m not insulting you at all. I’m speaking the truth of your statements.

If you think playing a game makes you “suffer” then you have serious problems, examples by your consistent presence with said game.

So either you are just being an overdramatic fool and say you “suffer” because your point is completely stupid, or you need therapy.

That’s what you’re here doing. I suspect you’re an overdramatic fool though, because you demand a company change the entire progression because you didn’t get what you want.

2 Likes

Let’s be honest, we both know I’m right, and this/your answer is nothing more than an attempt to do the same thing again.

There is NO perfect game. ALL games have something bad. And yet YOU AND I play video games.

Why don’t we stop playing games even though they have bad things? because the good outweighs the bad.

Does that mean that bad is good? NO.
Does it mean that the bad should be left unfixed? NO.

It’s like a Bug that affects a single class. It doesn’t affect everyone. It doesn’t affect all builds, but it is undoubtedly something bad, and therefore something that needs to be fixed.

I’m here supporting the cause to fix this “bug”.

Now, can you say I’m exaggerating when using the word suffering? Yes, you can say it, but you can’t deny that many players feel bad. Change all the words “suffer” to “feel bad” and none of my arguments will be less valid than before.

You’re not going to “get me” for using a word that we both know exactly what it means.

NICE TRY.

Now, I used the word “bug” as a trap, let’s see if you fall into it. I already know what to answer.

1 Like

I play some bad games for sure, but you’re the only one who says they make you suffer.

Self abuse is not a good thing,take a break.

1 Like