Third Party App: Diablo IV overlay is permitted? #ModCheck

Sounds like cheating to me. Pretty sure I’ve reported that one before so you are likely to get banned for using it.

A quick google search shows the overwolf overlay is an overlay map. It may not seem like it gives an advantage but its something not officially offered (for the wrong reasons) in game and I can see it being ban worthy.

Then don’t use it.

I completely get the frustration of trying to find all the Altars, cellars, dungeons, etc. I also prefer an overlay map like D2 and hope they add one eventually.

For now I alt-tab to my browser window and check the map tab I have open. Heh. I really should set up a second monitor. I use mostly a laptop but I think it CAN handle two monitors.

1 Like

My guess is they’re talking about this:

I would say the only advantage it has is if you don’t have a second monitor it prevents you from having to alt-tab to a map website.

It does seem to use OCR or something similar to move the map with you, essentially creating the map overlay system similar to D2s that a lot of people were asking for.

New World had something similar and the devs kind of went back and forth early on as to whether it would be allowed since they didn’t really like how easy it made chest farming or looking for resource nodes. I stopped playing NW awhile back so I’m not sure where they ended up, but I think people were still using some overwolf overlays when I stopped.

I think Overwolf owns curseforge now so it is probably true that they attempt to not host overlays that would get you banned from Blizzard games.

That actually looks awesome. I hope Blizzard adds that to the core game.

How is it cheating? I don’t use any overlay either just FYI. I have 2 monitors so I just open up a website on my 2nd monitor, but if the overlay is cheating then so its the website as it’s the same info just different implementation.

1 Like

Is it easier to open you map in game and see your character in relation to an overlayed waypoint or to look at second screen and attempt to translate that waypoint?

Easier in game of course. But if you’re going to go in that direction then having 2 monitors is cheating because you have an advantage over 1 monitor.

2 Likes

So you just admitted it was cheating.

No, you are making the case that easier = cheating. Which is incorrect.

2 Likes

I think it’s true that an overlay like that that uses OCR to align the map to you makes it easier than looking at a separate map on another screen or alt-tabbing.

The actual data on the map is identical to the data on sites like mapgenie or whatever.

They do ban for screen scanning type of things that also automatically interact with the game, but in this case it’s not interacting with the game or taking any action for you.

Seems unlikely to be banned for IMO, but half of its usefulness is already gone for people who already uncovered the map (particularly when S1 starts). The only ongoing value it’d have is avoiding having to tab to helltides.com for timers and the map.

While I wouldn’t necessarily say that it is automatically cheating… it is something that technically violates the terms of use and thus you are 100% risking your account if you choose to do it.

That’s the only thing that matters - it doesn’t matter if I think its not cheating or kabooms thinks it is. That’s subjective and largely pointless. Even if we ALL agreed as a community 100% that it wasn’t cheating… unless Blizzard changes their terms of use it would STILL be a risk.

Not to say you’re guaranteed to get banned, but the chance exists.

Which part of the terms?

Uh what? That is the definition of cheating. Easier = advantage = cheating.

I’m cheating with my 2 monitors then, I also use google to find out game information. Best report me.

3 Likes

I’ve reported your account to hacks@blizzard.com for potential use of cheating programs. Use at your own risk lad.

The part MissCheetah quoted above.

Quote the exact part because I couldn’t find anything that would classify it as violating the terms.

They’re not going to ban people for looking at a map website even if you personally think looking at a map is cheating.

The overlay is the same thing. The only questionable aspect of it that you can say is different is that it seems to be looking at your minimap to adjust your position on their map. This is apparently super common in overwolf overlays. It’s not accessing the games memory or anything though, so it doesn’t seem like it crosses a line since it doesn’t interact with the game. It’s not moving you or interacting with the game in any way.

1 Like

Looking at a website no. Using an overlay yes. My reports have gotten much people banned so far.