The constant nerfs

Okay… this is supposed to be a looting game… Theres been like 4 differnt nerfs to farming spots… Goblins nerf, dungeon nerfs. Skill nerfs, Aspect nerfs. all within four days.

The reason most of these farms work is with groups and the group bonuses, they are still mostly hell on single players. Been on tier 3 for around 25 hours. I’ve not gotten a single unique drop, even with all the farming spots.

Are we going to be looking forward to a nerf every freaking day? This is rediculous blizz. You want us to play our way and our builds to be viable. But everytime people find something that works well. with synergies, unique items etc. it’s bloody well nerfed.
Whats next, Next up on the nerf chopping block the charge bolt/unique.aspect wombo combo? Where you have to be lucky enough to get the unique to make it actually good!

THIS ISNT FUN. Or cool.
Just freaking put the drop rates of everything to 0.000001% That will teach us to try and farm a looting game! Or nerf loot bonus from being grouped, because “We cant have you getting loot”

Edit: oh and thought they wanted less backtracking and such? I die at a nightmare boss… and they send me halfway back through the dungeon, what kind of crap is that? “Nope we cant have you going right back into the boss fight! you need to run for a minute to get back!”

Edit 2: Blizz: Oh… you can take on literal armies of enemies in a dungeon or world? Not on our watch. We have an aggro range! (this is prolly been one of my biggiest gripes since beta)

This is another reason people use the farm spots.

6 Likes

Are you talking about the bug fixes in the past two days?

If you cant read… I cant help you. And its not bug fixes. It’s flat out nerfs.

5 Likes

It isn’t all nerfs, though there have been some.

So imagine the devs’ perspective on this. You have a game you want to last a long time. As a dev you want to make a cool, fun game. As a company employee beholden to stockholders, you want to insure enough people keep playing the game over time that you can reasonably forecast additional revenue, currently in the form of cosmetic microtransactions.

Not every player is a die-hard who’s combing online forums to find optimal builds and loot farms. I’ve done a few dungeons in Fractured Peaks and Scosglen, I’m currently in the early part of Act 3, and I’m 43rd level. There are players even more casual than me: my buddy has a wife, two (grown) kids still at home, and a full-time job (as do I). He, like me, has hobbies other than gaming. He’s only had a few hours of early access to play; I don’t think he’s even 20th level yet.

My point is this: the players who are finding loot farms or hyper-optimized “guaranteed success” builds are going to devour the content very fast. They’re the people who are going to not only rush to 100 (regardless of the hardcore contest) on multiple classes. They’re the ones who write leveling & endgame guides, who stream 18+ hours a day, or who just want to rush through content so they can take their time squeezing out every last single digit of DPS by spending nearly as much time theorycrafting in a spreadsheet as actually playing the game.

If these kinds of players were the norm, Diablo IV would have a shelf life approximately equal to that of a tabletop Pokemon tournament. We aren’t going to have the first Season start for another 6 weeks(ish). It gives people who love story the time to really enjoy and immerse themselves in that story before it becomes a stat grind in endgame. These players, who are less concerned with time-based efficiency than just killing demons & enjoying a power fantasy, are as important to the long-term health of the game as the diehards are.

So when the telemetry the devs get from us playing the game comes in and shows that some talent/item combinations excessively trivialize elements of the game designed to be more challenging, or just result in consumption of the available content faster than the devs think is a good idea (because game development is not a co-equal discussion of end users and developers; it’s developers thoughtfully considering the input of end users and deciding if a given proposal is a good idea or not within the context of their own development goals), then nerfs happen.

And buffs, too. Because there have been buffs as well as nerfs (particularly for Barbarians and Necromancers).

Having some perspective helps.

4 Likes
  1. D3 has lasted long.

2. I’m sure alot of things are already making people want to quit. Rerolling sacred items stats? damn near impossible because of the forgotten souls requirement. So that makes trying to get higher up a pain in the rear.

3. I’ve farmed 10 nightmare dungeons. wanna know how many legendaries i got? 13. So finding better affixes… is a major pain.

So by making it so hard… and so unenjoyable. that will make people quit faster. I love the diablo series. have been playing since d1 on pc, and had the “Rare” d1 on ps1.

It’s not even about optimal. its about being able to atleast progress a character at a good rate. 20+ hours on tier 3. even with a few loot farms. You know how many uniques I’ve gotten? Zero zip, zilch, nada. I’m taking my time to get to 100, by doing alot of stuff. I’m also a seasonal player. didnt miss a season on d3 til… around season 23… and thats because of rl stuff, and i pretty much quit gaming all together. But the fact… that the seasons are going be like this. with possibly alot more nerfs constantly… and them making respec costs high up there… is really annoying. This discourages alot of people from theory crafting and trying their own builds that they like. (and… this is something blizz encouraged)

I dont want to finally find a unique. and make a build, just to have the skills revolved around that item, or the item itself nerfed into the ground.

Theres no gurrenteed success… but the rates… and such are already annoying. I dont see a reason for the nerf to goblins in pvp zones. They werent popping up alot.

All these nerfs really do is hurt solo players alot more than those in groups.
As stated the grind is whats killing me for sure… because of the drops themselves.
They want us to do nightmare dungeons… make it worth it. They want people to stop using farming spots. make other parts actually worth it. Not where we have to struggle to even get somewhere. This is most likely going to be worse when they add sets. Especially nerfing. “oh this set build made you OP, cant have that! your fun is nerfed now!”

Trivalize… you still have mechanics. We’re not meant to feel like we are feeble little plebs. We are (as far as i know) Still Nephilim.

1 Like

And here I was thinking there are way too many uniques falling. Especially when gambling with that money dude. Every 3rd or 4th item is a unique.

2 Likes

I’m actually happy with that rate, because Khadala was frustrating in D3 and the currency for curiosity/gambles is not as easy to come by (at least as far as I’ve got to this point). Don’t think I’d have more than 1 or 2 legendaries without the curiosity shop.

Not to derail the convo too much but what exactly is considered a PVP Zone? Is it like the whole world outside of cities where you can see other players?

You obviously never played Diablo 1 without a cheat or trainer or mod you want hard that is hard. The first time you ever encounter the Butcher, he almost always kills you in 10 seconds or less. But I don’t know anyone not using a cheat, trainer or mod, who the first time playing that game did not get powned by The Butcher, also good luck looting your body brah. I remember having dozens of corpses near him in the early days. You had to skip him until you were a high enough level and had good enough gear to actually survive that fight. EVERYTHING else since has been nerfed as far as enemies go, the game has gotten a LOT easier over the years and in its sequels. Ask any of the old school gamers here that remember Diablo 1 when it first came out to compare that to Diablo 4. While it has in fact recaptured the grim dark setting of the first game and the multiplayer facet of the second and third as well as the excellent story telling of the second. IMHO this is the best Diablo game so far the only complaint I really have it that the cost unsocketing gems and imprinting powers goes up very quickly. making it not really worth bothering with.

1 Like

Diablo 1 is hard? LMAO!! literally beat the game in less than 10 minutes on a speed run.
Butcher? never maybe killed me the first ever time i played the game. Hell the hammer guy in 2 is harder. getting gear on d1 is way easier. vendor all the way til ya get all the goodies of the stars etc.

Fields of hatred is the designated pvp zones.

Not even gotten a unique from gambling. (and yes i know to use the highlighted item that means sacred)

if that is true you were playing with a cheat, trainer or mod

1 Like

This really goes to show you dont know the game at all either that or you were REALLY bad at it. Sorc pwned the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GAm2iT36dQ You dont get to hold world records by cheating little one. And no this wasnt me.

1 Like

“little one” ahh yes name calling the go to answer when the unwashed and uneducated can’t fathom a good argument.

I apologize I was taught to never enter a battle of wits with an unarmed foe.

I am done with you child goodbye.

3 Likes

So this is the only place they have nerfed Treasure Goblins? Coulda fooled me, i’m barely seeing them in just the main areas when I saw quite a few in the beta. Also are they like PVP as in if you enter be prepared or do you still have to go into like a PVP mode first?

I’ve seen 6 in 4 hours today, no legendary drops though.

When I went, you still had to flag yourself on your emote wheel (at least that’s what the pop up tutorial said). I got out of there quick just in case. I’m not interested in Pvp at all.

I’ve seen quite a few goblins. They’ve all dropped crap though.

That’s good to know! I’m still in the initial area haven’t done much campaign yet just side quests. As for Goblins, I’ve seen 2 in the entire early access period where I killed 4 or 5 in just one beta weekend.

Agree way to many nerfs. Solo is a huge chore and I already have no plans to pay for battle passes beyond the one I get with my ultimate edition as I see no way that a long boring grind is going to keep my attention. NTM I see no way that solo players are going to have any real chance at completing battle passes as is. I only really play with my wife as is but we work different shifts so are not able to always be on at the same time so more than 1/2 our play time is solo and very tedious. I don’t even care about drop rates as much as it taking forever to kill bosses and large numbers of mobs Solo D2 has the worst drop rates in history but at least you can kill 1000 mobs and a boss 20 times in the time it takes to kill one boss here.

1 Like

I agree, solo is a HUGE chore. I like to play Diablo alone and then off and on with my spouse. I don’t like that you pretty much are forced to play with other people of whom you may not even know just to have an ok time killing thing.

2 Likes

I’m the opposite, saw maybe 2-3 in beta, in early I saw 6-8 of them. One of them carved into an event, so it was a “oh, ok, guess this is happening”.
2 legendaries out of them too.
Most times it’s a blue item :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: