Stuck on install screen and unable to download

So trying to preload but its stuck at “calculating size” and the blizzard icon keeps spinning forever. Wont let me actually click start install cause of this. i have over 200gb free space on SSD. I have restarted client multiple times and even restarted pc. just cant get past this part. always stuck same spot.

okay just to update, it works now. it never did calculate the final size but after waiting long enough (like 15 to 20 minutes) the install button lights up and lets you start downloading

1 Like

The next step after that is a Windows pop up on my PC that says “Do you want to let this application make changes on your device?” I have to agree to that then the DL started.

Do you have any firewall or antivirus software that might block changes or the launcher in some way?

Also, the first step in the troubleshooting article says to make sure you have the Beta uninstalled.

can I install the game using the beta? when I chose to pre-install it today (taking the diablo vi from the menu dropdown) the installation ran through the 84gbs and i had to proper download just 7gb. Will the game work properly?

Use this for tips. ^^

No.

Blizzard officially stated the files will not be the same and that you should remove the beta files. I understand it seemed to have worked, but I wouldn’t trust it. And if you have problems later guess what? You will need to do it anyway. May as well rip that bandaid off. If you are not playing on 2K/4K screen, you can skip the high res pack.

Not to mention, I have noted above that you should also remove the previous Prefs file from the Diablo IV folder under Documents.

This was simply a matter of being patient. And since you can’t play it yet anyway, there is no reason to not be patient. Just saying.

If you do a scan and repair at the end it’s validating every single file in the directory and making sure they’re all there and not corrupt.

It’s just a bunch of 1s and 0s. If they all end up in the right place it doesn’t matter how you got there.

Well, if you run into issues playing, don’t say I didn’t warn you…

Looks like the stuck on calculating size is not an isolated issues.

The OP may want to join the thread on Tech Support.

I have seen that happen before even on other games in the launcher. Mostly you just need to be patient, they eventually sort out and start downloading.

They told us 2 weeks ago to install the beta and sever slam.

Yes, he did say that but it’s still absolutely possible to use those files without issue if you want to do so.

Start the install. Pause it after it’s made all the folders. Exit the launcher and kill the process.

Copy the data from beta data into the retail data folder. (I copied the data/config/indices folder from in the beta data folder, but you may only really need to copy the data)

Restart launcher.

Run a scan and repair. Takes a bit.

It will then start downloading stuff and then will only need to download about 7GB.

Run another scan and repair at the end as a sanity check and it will check every individual file and pass the check without having to fix anything.

They told us something was wasn’t 100% true…
85%+ for the files (audio-video assets) are exactly the same, that’s why using the repair Borg has about 7 GB download only, while I haven’t used yet the repair, I closed the Bnet client, made sure all the Battle.net processes were closed (don’t forget to check “Agent.exe” as well in the Details tab of your task manager), then manually copied the beta files to the retail folder (unless the already existing ones), then started Battle.net client again, uninstalled the beta copy (via the Battle.net option for it), and it automatically went to the “retail version” and turned the paused installation process into an update process (and given I unchecked the 4K textures, I only had 4.5 GB or so to download, instead of 7 GB as stated by Borg for his 4K full version).

At the end of the process, I will for safety run the check and repair, but I expect it to detect no issue… exactly as it has happened between pre-order beta and open beta, and later between open beta and slam beta…

While this all sounds good, and maybe it will work fine. I would be prepared in case it doesn’t.

I mean you all have a couple days. So if you run into issues on launch and then have to re-download then… It would suck.

That’s all I’m saying.

Unless you have data limits, why take the chance? But to each their own.

I still stand by my recommendation about the localprefs file in the Documents\Diablo IV\ folder. That should be at least renamed, if not deleted. Let the udpated or fresh downloaded copy reset the file to defaults, just in case there are settings that may cause issues since the beta/slams.

Game on.

I did this now so I would have time to DL the entire thing if it went wrong, but I don’t think it’s a risk at all given the scan and repair at the end confirming it worked correctly.

I have all the same files as you or anyone else that downloaded it fresh as confirmed by the launcher.

If I happen to have issues after launch I won’t even assume it’s related to the way I installed it because my d4 folder is the same as anyone else’s.

I did delete that the other day I think just in case.

I indeed have DL quota, but even if I didn’t had, I would have tried this way, because, you know global warming is not just a fantasy, it’s real… plenty people will suffer of it (not to say already suffer of it now), and future generations even more (and even if I don’t have kids, this is really a tiny effortless gesture worth doing for them).

You may think: 40~80 Gb is nothing, but if we multiply it by the millions of beta testers, it becomes really great, and Blizzard could and should have done something in that direction…

I agree that localperfs file (located into “‪C:\Users\username\Documents\Diablo IV\LocalPrefs.txt”) may potentially be an issue in some cases (but with very low risk), but audio-video assets which consist of most of the downloaded data shouldn’t have been wasted by the “it’s different, delete beta” recommandation they wrote…

Well, just don’t post about it as a certainty. Because at this point, its an assumption.

I would agree that it should work, but unless a person was cramped on download data caps, that would be a main excuse to try it.

Personally, I will be downloading it without the high res pack first. Backing that install up (for the two laptops) then changing the install to include the packs for my desktop.

But I have about 50 minutes before I start mine. I have a soft cap, and probably wouldn’t even hit it, but after 11 its unlimited. lol

You do realize, that… Regardless if you download it or not, the servers hosting the files are still going to run, the internet will still be operating. Your effort, while thoughtful actually doesn’t matter in this particular time space, outside of perhaps running your computer for less time. But who does that? If you weren’t downloading something, you probably would have had it on doing something else… So…

Noble thoughts, but in this particular event, near fruitless.

Just a thought.

If you have an ASUS motherboard and have the “GameFirst VI” software, disable/exit out of it and it may resolve this issue. At least it did for me after every other “Solution” failed to work for me.

2 Likes

Cow Level found!!! Lewey is the NPC!

Lewey:
“If you have an ASUS motherboard and have the “GameFirst VI” software, disable/exit out of it and it may resolve this issue. At least it did for me after every other “Solution” failed to work for me.”

Seriously though. I could kiss you. After 16 hours of troubleshooting and working with Blizz CS, my buddy stumbled on your small post. This needs to be addressed more widely. I am now reinstalling and have logged into D4 again. You are a beautiful person.

Thank you!!