Structured PvP in Diablo

Is there a reason why Blizzard is so keen on forcing world pvp? For so many years it was tried in WoW but it never really works for the majority because by nature its favored towards ganking and unfairness. Just as there was nothing stopping a band of high levels stomping level 38s in STV in 2006, theres nothing stopping a 100 level barb mowing through people in the pvp zones.

And that’s just one side of the coin. PvP has never been a concern for diablo. Yes, there was always pvp but it was never really cared about. I barely remember trying it in d2, wasn’t a fan. in d3 it wasn’t introduced until much later and by that time nobody cared and did not play.

Now in d4 theres pvp but just in optional open world pvp zones. Still, nobody cares about it. Whenever i go to any of these zones, since the release, they are ghost towns. Maybeeee, 1 or 2 people here and there. But thats it.

I haven’t tried it myself but what’s stopping d4 from having a arena/battleground style pvp while diablo immortal had it? What’s wrong with it? One of my close friends played it in immortal and said it was pretty good and close to wow arenas?

Is it really that hard to implement or they won’t do it because again, nobody cares about pvp in diablo?

It’s mostly because PvP sucks in D4 and it’s completely unbalanced.

So is it forced or optional?
It clearly is optional.

Unless you have some specific mechanic in mind, what are Fields of Hatred if not arenas/battlegrounds?

well i had a previous reply on another topic with an idea on the matter

i don’t really understand one thing though.

Why should pvp be only with stuff you own ? it’s so harder to balance.

If blizzard did on D4 what they first intended to do in D3 : arena 2vs2 or 1 vs 1 or 4 in a battle royal with fixed equipment : it would be wayyyy easier to balance. (and also not a game of hide and seek where you might or might not find opponents)

(for example for druid : a pulverize bear set , a summoner set , a wolf tornado set , a shred set etc…)

i understand wanting to use equipment we earned through playing in pvp, but it’s impossible to balance.
wheras in this scenario it’s easy to balance based on the win rate of each set. (by reducing the power of the set through paragon or equipment that are pre-determined by blizzard)
and it’ll be skill based instead of a one shot fiesta based on someone being overgeared or using exploit like selig.

We literally have player organized PvP tournaments. I mean just like D2 the PvP crowd is much smaller than the PvE crowd but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Certain items get banned sometimes in these tournaments. Some are last man standing. Some are single or double loss elimination.

I meant ‘forcing’ as in if you want pvp , this is what you have, optional in terms of ‘don’t have to do it to progress in the game’ . Sorry for the confusion.

The mechanic is that; also when i said ‘structured pvp’ is to be ported/placed into an area, within a time limit, with specific rules, scoreboard etc. fields of hatred has none of these things. flagging pvp and running around killing random players, extracting seeds of hatred is not really a structure.

In other words, it would be great if there was ‘matches’ you win/lose match 1,2,3 etc. Something to keep track of.

Balancing PvP would always be a difficult task, much more than PvE (which isn’t balanced at all). The devs said it will never be their focus. PvP is done in the spirit of D2. “Take it or leave” it kind of thing.

1 Like

To each their own i guess. I have nothing against player tourneys. But that’s not what i’m talking about here. Just think wow arena/battlegrounds. Queue up to join, win/lose scoreboard etc. Gear to grind towards. Meaningful rewards. These kind of stuff.

People usually play to progress. If there is hardly anything to ‘win’, they won’t care about it. Just my opinion though.

The community is indeed smaller. But my argument is that it is smaller because it doesn’t speak to a wider audience for the reasons i mentioned.

I can only imagine how many feathers that would ruffle. One of the major complaints already is how they took Diablo and made it more WoW-Like than ARPG.

I played D2 organized pvp for about 5 years. Probably the best gaming experience in my life. I tried a little now in D4 but I dont like the basic gameplay (spender/builder and cooldowns), so sad for me. But thats a side note.

Would be fantastic. Scoreboard would be enough chasing imo. Maybe that’s what you ment too?

A more easy access and organized way for casual pvp serves many purposes. Right now we are usually send to an empty foh and have to leave/rejoin 10 times in order to find players or go outside of Diablo to find an obscure discord subchannel to group up. This is only something the most dedicated players will do which cuts off the vast majority who could have liked it.

Your idea we instead have join and voila - the other players online who are pvp’ing are now grouped up with you and you can play. Loving it.

Like Runez said though I think the more dedicated tournaments are better organized by the player community with rulesheets etc.

In d2 I liked this. At the high times there were a massive amount of “duel” games up all times every day that I could join for some ffa blood moor pvp. Fun and crazy.

Then there were communities with rules and weekend tournaments. Much more devoted and tough ofc. As it should be.

Those duel games were popular because of the open come and go style format. Once you add arenas you get a structured format with leave penalties, MMR, and other things that come with it.

Diablo at its heart has always been a casual game. If they keep adding things like integrated arenas, AoZ and stuff they will be turning their back on their core fanbase and that’s a slippery slope to gamble hoping MMORPG players drop all the great mmorpg games to play D4.

Totally agree. I still remember D3 when I started it up the first time and was like “Okay lets join a game lets see what I can find!” and nothing…nothing, nothing anywhere. Oh man…

Based on the Devs approach for plalyers freedom in D3 and D4 I think this arena thing might be the way to go, sadly.

The old “duel come beat me” or “windforce if you beat me 1v1” would work wonders I think cause it feeds off us and how we work. Its easy access, its casual, its a bit provocative etc. But I think that time is sadly over so next best thing is Dev structured pvp arena like Diablo Immortal.

They may go that route. Unfortunately for me personally I’d just leave. The open feel of PvP is the only reason I’ve stuck with the series so long and particularly D1 & 2 (3 was meh).

If we focus on ARPGs as a whole there are better games. It’s some of the way Diablo presents things that makes it appeal more.

Im with ya, hoping :smiley:

I had a blast Preseaon and S1 on FoH when it was still full. Unbalanced and wacky, but fun hehe. These altars of extraction combined with the roaming boss were a fun basic game mode.

Like I said though, once the initial chaos settled and things became more efficient that gameplay wasnt for me. I dont like Frenzy/Conc barb in d2 and Double Strike D4 is the exact same. I dont like having a big portion of the duel being about cooldown management either. Just not for me. And the higher the level became in D4 the more these things became a factor. So now Im on the sideline waiting for what future patches might have.

1 Like

The way D4 was released it was always going to come down to them choosing whether to be an ARPG or MMORPG. So one way or another a decision on such things is inevitable.

1 Like

pvp can only work if you develop the game around it not some side event what it is now.
most players who like games like D3/4 are not a big fan of pvp in general.