Steam and battlenet purchase

I initially bought the game on battlenet but when it got released on steam I bought it so I can play diablo when traveling using my steam deck.

So I now have the base game in both platforms, if I want to buy the new expansion will I also need to buy it twice?

I really hope it’s not the case and it’s something that I can activate “in-game”

4 Likes

Here for this question as well for the same scenario.

1 Like

I’m wondering something similar I play on PC and Xbox bought the game on both platforms do I have to buy the dlc for both platforms or just one

1 Like

This may sound snarky but is not intended to. If you HAD to buy 2 copies of the base game to play on 2 different platforms, logically you will HAVE to buy 2 different copies of the expansion to do the same.

1 Like

I would like an answer on this as well. I own the Steam and Battle.net versions.
Crossplay is terrible. Just try posting LFG in the Sanctuary Discord while running the Steam version. Most PC players have cross-play turned off.
So i have to switch back to the Battle.net version to get a group. If accounts and MTX are cross-platform i dont see why this couldn’t be.
If i have to continue with the Steam version to avoid the battle.net launcher i will, but my access to grouping with other players will be diminished.

I just checked. I bought Vessel of Hatred for Steam yesterday. Today I just patched my Bnet account. It allows me to use the pre-purchased cats and armor but asks me to pre-purchase VoH again. If you want to play both platforms you need to buy minimum 2 Standard Editions or 1 Edition of your choice (1st platform) and 1 Standard Edition (2nd platform). Pre-order benefits work on both platforms if unlocked for one platform.

2 Likes

Wait, what?
One thing is that in battle.net version you can disable Cross-Network Play in the Connect options. But I’m concerned with that platform limitation?

Does it mean that when you buy on Steam, you have no way to ever play with console players? Or PC battle.net ones?

Anyway I’d like to see the extension being usable from Steam when one has the battle.net base.

1 Like

Thanks for checking.
I’d like to ensure - so you:

1. Bought the base game only on Battle.net
  2. Got the expansion only on Steam
  3. Linked Battle.net account with Steam
  4. Run the base game from Battle.net
  5. When you opened the store in this Battle.net game, VoH wasn’t marked as purchased

Now I wonder

1. If it’ll kick in after a while, like time needed for propagation.

And will it be playable these ways:

Assuming base Battle.net + VoH Steam and linked accounts:
2. If VoH will be available in base game started with Battle.net launcher

Assuming base Steam + VoH Battle.net and linked accounts:
3. Can you buy it at all? Base from Steam and VoH from Battle.net. Following assuming that you can buy.
4. Can you start the whole thing from Steam?
5. Will Battle.net launcher work for such purchase?
6. Will VoH be accessible when game launched from Battle.net launcher?

2 Likes

Diablo 4 is playable on Steam Deck via Battle.net. Just add Battle.net launcher in Steam library and from there u can launch Diablo 4, also World of Warcraft works on Steam Deck, tadaaa!

I own the Game on Bnet already.

Now, If i buy Vessel of Hatred inkl. D4 basegame on steam, is my version in upgraded to Vessel of Hatred aswell?

Background:

I own a steamdeck and want to play on deck from time to time.

I tried the Lutris installation via and think this is way to much hazzle, which is why Iam open to by the complete game (d4 + VoH) once more via steam, IF my bnet version is upgraded in the process.

Answers here are much appreciated!!

Probably not, i think u have to buy two seperate versions of the expansion which is, in my opinion, retarded…
In this vid is shown how u can play the Bnet Diablo 4 version on steam deck:

How To Play Diablo 4 On Steam Deck! Full Setup Guide And 60 FPS Gameplay! (youtube.com)

Figured stuff out myself.

Steam and bnet are handled as different platforms.
So basically, you have to buy the game on all platforms seperately (including the Addons), in order to play the game on that respective platform, even though you are forced to link your bnet account.

Cosmetics from Ultimate Editions or seperate purchases in the store are linked to your bnet account, aswell, but can be used an every platform you linked your bnet account which.

Short:

1. Game needs to be bought for every platform seperately (incl. Addons) in order to play
  2. cosmetics and purchases from the ingame shop only need to be purchased once and can be used on every platform, including the battlepass!
2 Likes

This is taken from the FAQ on the official Vessel of Hatred page

"CAN I PURCHASE MORE THAN ONE PRE-PURCHASE EDITION? WILL I GET MORE REWARDS?
You will need to purchase Vessel of Hatred once per platform you want to play on. For example, to play on both Xbox and Battle.net you would need to get Vessel of Hatred on each of those platforms separately. You will not get additional rewards for multiple purchases. If you want to upgrade the edition you purchased, upgrades to Deluxe and Ultimate Editions will be available in-game. "

I think having to buy the expansion on multiple platforms is ridiculous, as it kills cross-progression they tout so much.

For steam and battle.net it should be linked, end of story, both are on the PC.

But for ps5/xbox/pc, I can understand the desire to be money-grubbing and pay-per-platform for the dlc. That’s $120 vs 40.

I believe the deluxe and ultimate editions of the dlc should upgrade the assigned account as a whole, while still requiring the base game on each platform. This gives incentive to have people opt for the higher tier dlc, but more importantly doesn’t break cross progression.

For full clarity here, base game once per platform makes sense. DLC unlocks should be account wide, cosmetics already are if you purchase them. The game is already quite expensive when playing multi-platform (I paid for ultimate edition on PS5 for couch coop (my wife doesn’t get any benefits from ultimate edition though) and standard on pc for myself.

I know I’d be much more inclined to buy the ultimate edition if it was account-wide, but as it stands now I’m not willing to shell out per-platform.

4 Likes

That’s my line of thinking as well. Requiring base game is acceptable but for DLCs it should be something account wide instead of per platform.

+1 for the incentive to buy the deluxe edition

1 Like

I agree with your take. Base game needing purchase on each platform is acceptable. DLC should be purchased once for your account.

1 Like

You will need to buy in both platforms. Just like the initial game needed to be purchased on each platform. One note on that is if you wanted to buy a higher edition for the extra goodies, only do that on one platform. Purchase just the base on the other platform. Rewards are tied to account while the actual game is tied to the platform.

Crossplay isn’t a thing between Steam & Bnet. Both are lumped into the “PC Pool” as far as platforms are concerned. I’ve played with friends on Bnet/Steam PC that have had their crossplay turned off with no issue.